Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" ???
Merry Christmas! 175 59.93%
Happy Holidays! 38 13.01%
I don't care! 79 27.05%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:26 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Whoa! Lousy parent?

The wheels have come off of this thread.

It's a non-issue to begin with.
They didn't come off when she told me to go to my room?
Then again, as someone else pointed out, this is a person who didn't get the memo that there are Jewish people in the south too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 11:26 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times
Quote:
Whoa! Lousy parent?

The wheels have come off of this thread.

It's a non-issue to begin with.
Yes that comment wasn't very nice. If this was so non-issue I don't think the flames would be licking out of the top of my monitor like they are.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:27 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Your right... there is no debate, look at the poll results.
There's a debate... a ponied up debate. A manufactured debate.

Furthermore, all the poll says is "Merry Christmas" "Happy Holidays" or "I don't care". It doesn't say whether this is what you SAY or what you BELIEVE or what you think is ok....

A vote for one doesn't exclude the other.

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I need a life because I said YOU should be responsible for the way your kids behave?

OK. Sure. Makes sense to me. You would be amazed at just how awesome a person's life can be when they aren't completely busy being a lousy parent.
Uh...actually...one poster had said that my kids were very considerate for having to think about what to say. They're just happy they don't have to think about it too much down here in the south were there are lotsa lotsa Baptists and Methodists and Presbyterians and Pentecostals.

Read much?

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Frankly, a person could say anything to either effect. It really is the thought that matters when it comes to seasonal cheer. For anybody to get offended is rather uncouth. It's the thought, not the words, that count.
Agree. Certain loudmouths on the far right make this an issue because it hits an emotional hot-button with some people, many of whom are gullible to the point they actually believe there is a "war on Christmas" and will respond to "a call to arms" to "fight the good fight" which means they foolishly dump tens of millions of dollars into the laps of the American Taliban of Dobson, Falwell[d], Robertson, et al, as trumpeted by idiots like Bill O the Clown, Rush Limpbalz, etc.

The "war on christmas" the "gay marriage" votes, the "constitutional amendment to define marriage" the "flag burning" amendment are all part and parcel of the billion dollar business of ginning up "controversial" topics that really are non-issues, but which keep money flowing to the pompous TV/radio gasbags of the far right, who live high on the hog off free money from gullible fools who keep pumping cash into the far right hate machine. You can see these buffoons having their power lunches in DC with YOUR elected officials whom they seek to influence to THEIR way of thinking, not yours.

I spent 31 years in the DC area. We had a school in Falls Church, VA that had 100+ languages spoken by the student body. Happy Holidays works just fine in such a melting pot, and in our major cities that are full of international influences; the positive sentiment of brotherhood and peace gets conveyed with a sense of being impartial. Sometimes I think it's that "impartial" part that incenses the far right, i.e., if it isn't pure white KKK evangelicalism, they hate it and attack it.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-30-2009 at 08:39 AM..

2,500 posts, read 2,928,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Yes that comment wasn't very nice. If this was so non-issue I don't think the flames would be licking out of the top of my monitor like they are.
It was a response to a flame. I don't care if anyone wants to disagree with me, but if they want to be honest about it, it was a response to a flame. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
But really, are we really to use the greeting thing to bash on others who do not feel the same as the "majority?"
Maybe if it was such non-issue then people should have left Christians alone and let them have their holiday and do their religious things, but of course not... someone seeking to eradicate religion took up the case and the majority fought back. Is it very surprising?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
So on your next birthday if I said Happy Columbus Day, you would not be offended?

After all, its the thought that matters.

Of course it matters.
Seriously, if you were to say Happy Columbus Day, then I would most definitely ask for my paid holiday time. Either that, or I'd check my calendar to make sure I hadn't slept through several months.

You could just as well say, "Happy Anniversary of Lincoln's Death" or "Happy Anniversary of the Titanic's strike on an Iceberg" and have the date right.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
There's a debate... a ponied up debate. A manufactured debate.

Furthermore, all the poll says is "Merry Christmas" "Happy Holidays" or "I don't care". It doesn't say whether this is what you SAY or what you BELIEVE or what you think is ok....

A vote for one doesn't exclude the other.
Then I must ask... what warrants an acceptable debate? Don't you think that this debate has roots in pursuit of happiness?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:32 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Have they figured out yet that we have Jewish people down here, too?
Yes they have...they've attended their bat mitzvahs...and to them they pause, and think and say Happy Hannukah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies