Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:55 PM

15 posts, read 19,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Actually, the NRA was formed following the Civil war in response to the fact that it was hard to find men to serve who actually could shoot.
Had nothing to do with gun dealers or makers. Course truth never mattered to those bent on denying civil rights.

The NRA is controlled by its voting membership & funded by our dues & contributions.

I agree to an extent, they need to be better directed but they certainly care about the second amendment & their membership more that the anti gun lobby who use basically the same methodology to destroy the constitution instead of strengthening it like the NRA.

If I thought you had half a clue I'd go on explaining that the NRA is not just a group of mindless idiots sending in their money. If that were the case the liberal fools would have already ruined the country.

Fact is theres some pretty influential people that are & have been members. How many US Presidents have been members of the Brady campaign? The antigun movement is a childish experiment at best & those with half a brain realize that. The only reason it exists is that the politicians know that fools vote too.
This response didn't address or refute the premise that the NRA exists to sell more guns. Like many other gun nut posts, it simply digresses into name calling. Is W one of your liberal fools that ruined the country?

The NRA is now pushing an agenda to allow armed civilians a "license to murder" to shoot and kill anyone whom a gun owner "feels" is a threat, even if his or her safety is not in jeopardy. Do you really want give every drunken redneck this right? It hasn't worked very well in Somalia.

The NRA takes extreme positions on vigilante justice, cop-killing bullets, guns in schools, assault weapons, gun shows, high-caliber sniper rifles, etc., because, if followed, these policies will make more money for gun manufacturers and dealers. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:32 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by american joe View Post
This response didn't address or refute the premise that the NRA exists to sell more guns. Like many other gun nut posts, it simply digresses into name calling. Is W one of your liberal fools that ruined the country?

The NRA is now pushing an agenda to allow armed civilians a "license to murder" to shoot and kill anyone whom a gun owner "feels" is a threat, even if his or her safety is not in jeopardy. Do you really want give every drunken redneck this right? It hasn't worked very well in Somalia.

The NRA takes extreme positions on vigilante justice, cop-killing bullets, guns in schools, assault weapons, gun shows, high-caliber sniper rifles, etc., because, if followed, these policies will make more money for gun manufacturers and dealers. Period.
Please list the following NRA positions:
1. vigilante justice
2. cop-killing bullets (hint: all bullets are "killing")
3. guns in schools
4. assault weapons: I assume you mean the ugly black rifles that look "military" but are functionally and caliber wise exactly the same as many non-ugly rifles. A true "assault rifle" is generally illegal to own without a special permit that can take up to a year to receive from BATFE.
5. gunshows: I assume that you mean the so-called "gun show loophole" which could also be called the "living room loophole." That means that if you and I live in the same state I can legally transfer a long gun to you without the NICS or paperwork if I have reason to believe that otherwise you are allowed to possess a rifle or shotgun. Any transfer of a handgun would violate several state and federal laws, as would any transfer if you are ineligible to own a firearm and would result in my imprisonment-which the NRA supports.
6. high-caliber sniper rifles (hint: any rifle with a scope is a "sniper" rifle)

Old 01-04-2009, 07:40 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,731 times
Wow.

Quote:
...(Snip for brevity)......

The NRA takes extreme positions on vigilante justice,
.....(Snip)..
these policies will make more money for gun manufacturers and dealers. Period.

False.
Here's a couple of sources:

www.wikipedia.com
Type in:
Castle doctrine in the United States

and
Concealed carry in the United States

Edit to add:
Wiki isn't perfect , but it does have quality control standards that help to cut through much of the error-net drivel.

Last edited by gbear48; 01-04-2009 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: add information.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Huh? I don't believe free speech was even mentioned, where'd you pull that one out of? And except for the video of Hurricane Katrina, I still haven't heard what all the hubbub is about...what are these gun bans that are supposedly going to be put into action? Is it only automatic weapons?What are the guns that are going to be taken away? I'm curious because no one has given any details.
the gun ban that we speak of is a more involved version of the old assault weapons ban. The assault weapons ban, banned weapons purely on looks rather than on function. Automatic weapons have been restricted in America since the 30's, they are not BANNED, but restricted. in the 80's all new fully auto weapons were banned from civilian use, anything in private hands before that ban were grandfathered in. you need to undergo extensive background checks, and tons of money to be able to own a fully auto weapon. I suggest if you do not know of what you are posting about, you either leave the topic, or go and do a little research again. Descriptions in the original assault weapons ban included things that limited the size of clips, folding stocks, bayonet mounts things of that sort, nothing that involves the function of a weapon, but rather the way the weapon looks. I can show you pictures of two guns that shoot the same round, hold the same amount of rounds, but one looks mean, one looks like a normal hunting rifle, one is considered an assault weapon, the other not. The decision is based purely on the way the gun looks, not its function. Obama has expressed interest in the new gun ban which would not have a sunset clause, and involve more guns based on looks than the previously unseated bill had within it. Canada, and Australia, and England went through similar movements within its government, now Canadians are under assault by the government wanting to ban hunting rifles, same with england, Australia is adding more things like knives over 2" to its list of banned weapons. They lost rights that we are guaranteed because they gave an inch.

And as I have said, give an inch, the government will take a mile.

and the reason why the first amendment was used as an example, All rights are equal, you loose one, you might as well loose them all. They support themselves, without the first amendment, we could not voice our opinion to protect our second, and if the first amendment is lost, we will need our second amendment to regain our first from a government that has turned tyrannical.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
God-given right! I believe it is the 11th commandment: Thou shalt bear assault weapons, and blast anybody who doesn't agree with you.
according to our founding fathers. did your teachers teach anything about our constitution and declaration of independance in school?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:

states that have issued CCW permits, have seen a reduction in crime, yet states that ban weapons see an increase in crime, a dramatic increase in crime within the first 5 years of the ban, and then a steady increase after that.

and I use a link I directly gave you in another thread

AEI - Short Publications - Oversight Hearing on the District of Columbia's Gun Control Laws (http://www.aei.org/publications/pubID.22768/pub_detail.asp - broken link)

here is a link to the response to you in another thread.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/great...ml#post6626265

post no. 417

Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
The NRA was founded to improve marksmanship after the Civil War. Point and shoot, like using the old smoothbore muskets, was still common practice then rather than careful aiming.

Quote:
It's been a right under common law for centuries to use deadly force when you feel your life is in danger. Castle doctrine laws simply end abuse by prosecutors and criminals' families trying to sue the real victims of crime.

Quote:
Vigilante justice? Haven't read anything on that from the NRA. Can you please expand on that?

Cop killing bullets? Ridiculous statement. Any bullet can be used to kill a cop, whether it be the lowly little tiny .22 short or a big musket ball.

"Assault weapons"? Meaningless term applied to any guns with a "scary" look that are functionally no different than other firearms, and the FBI found through careful study that the original "assault weapon" ban of the 90's had no effect on crime.

"High caliber sniper rifles"? You mean everyone's hunting rifles?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:03 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
It's too bad cons aren't as gung ho about our other rights as they are about the right to bear arms

too bad libs are not the same way about all of the constitutional rights.

I guess that some would like to believe that guns are only a states right and not a individuals, remember that the people in the 2nd amendmenrt is the same people in the 1st. it is the one and the same, each individual person has that right, not just the state.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:55 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
LOL! Yeah! Cuz Obama is going to come to your house and demand you hand him your gun!

This is propaganda!

it does not take much for the potus to write an EO banning each and every firearm in the USA. 90% of owners would turn them in right off the bat, then you have people like me who will never turn them in and will probably get carted out on a gurney when they try and take my rights away from me illegally.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Huh? I don't believe free speech was even mentioned, where'd you pull that one out of?
I can't help you understand the blatantly obvious. Try re-reading my post and see if you can figure it out.

Quote:
I still haven't heard what all the hubbub is about...what are these gun bans that are supposedly going to be put into action? Is it only automatic weapons?What are the guns that are going to be taken away? I'm curious because no one has given any details.
First of all, automatic weapons have been heavily regulated since the 1930s. To get one, you have to allow the feds to crawl up your behind with a magnifying glass, as well as completely give up your 4th Amendment rights. They're also prohibitively expensive.

Second:
H. R. 1022
H. R. 6257

Have fun with those. I'll leave you with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama
I will continue to work for effective gun laws, including reinstatement of the assault weapons ban that the last Congress allowed to expire...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies