Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:32 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
How is it any worse for gay people to talk about their private business to strangers and acquaitances than for straight people to do it? Note: I don't know any who do that at this point in my life.

Also, why are you talking about it as though these relationships are all about sex? What if people talked about heterosexual relationships that way?
It's very odd how anti-gay people always mention sex - not emotion, companionship, love. I wonder if THEIR relationships are only about sex.

I don't see why people talking about their lives - heterosexual or homosexual - is wrong. Or why it's wrong to walk down the street holding hands, no matter who you are. Heterosexuals are very open about their relationships, and I think gays should also be open.

It's life - there are gays - no matter if you try to get rid of gay marriage, or think you don't know any gays, or try to stop gays from being open like you are - there's no difference. The gays are still there, like it or not. They're not going away because you don't "approve" of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 07:32 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think it is a legacy of the plague years in Europe. The population needed to be rebuilt and GAY sex does not reproduce, hence should not be tolerated.
That logic is completely illogical. We have a population problem now, have you noticed? That statement doesn't work.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think it is a legacy of the plague years in Europe. The population needed to be rebuilt and GAY sex does not reproduce, hence should not be tolerated.
Interesting. This is an angle I had not considered and you may have a point.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It's very odd how anti-gay people always mention sex - not emotion, companionship, love. I wonder if THEIR relationships are only about sex.

I don't see why people talking about their lives - heterosexual or homosexual - is wrong. Or why it's wrong to walk down the street holding hands, no matter who you are. Heterosexuals are very open about their relationships, and I think gays should also be open.

It's life - there are gays - no matter if you try to get rid of gay marriage, or think you don't know any gays, or try to stop gays from being open like you are - there's no difference. The gays are still there, like it or not. They're not going away because you don't "approve" of them.
I know you're not going anywhere.

I just don't have to, nor will I approve of it, recognize it as a valid marriage, or teach my kid that. I'm sure you'll label me a backwards bible-thumping hate monger....but oh well. I have moral convictions.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:06 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I know you're not going anywhere.

I just don't have to, nor will I approve of it, recognize it as a valid marriage, or teach my kid that. I'm sure you'll label me a backwards bible-thumping hate monger....but oh well. I have moral convictions.
So if I was to have moral conviction that I should go around exterminating Jews that makes it ok because it's my own personal, moral conviction?

I've argued with you before I know you'll never admit to being wrong but just because you have a problem with it doesn't mean that it should be the law of the land. This country is made to ensure the rights and freedoms of all and in time it will reflect truer for gay people.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:06 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I have moral convictions.
Non-heterosexual people certainly do, too. You're saying that as though they don't.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:13 AM

594 posts, read 1,043,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I see your point, BUT in defense of TRUE Christians I have to say that it is NOT TRUE Christians who are opposing gays......A true Christian would PRAY for them,NOT hinder them in anyway whatsoever.So the Christian RIGHT WINGERS (who are not even close to being followers of CHRIST)are the problem,not true Christians at all and it really makes me mad to be lumped in with that bunch by folks who don't have the slightest clue about the difference.And the difference is HUGE.
This is a great post. I attend a Southern Baptist church and this past Sunday our pastor spoke at length about how misguided some of our fellow Christians are. He projected several photographs on the screen showing Christian groups with signs saying things like "God hates ****." His point was that all that does is foster hate and make Christians look exclusionary, which is the exact OPPOSITE of what Christ taught. Those Christians are trying to take the power from the Holy Spirit. What Christ would like to see is Christians embracing the gay community, sharing God's Word, and allowing the Holy Spirit to work in their lives. And this message is coming from a SOUTHERN BAPTIST pastor. I looked around the congregation, and most were nodding their heads in approval. Many people have taken "Christ" out of "Christian."

Old 11-26-2008, 08:21 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,002 times
It really shouldn't matter how anyone personally feels. Discrimination has no place in any constitution.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:27 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
This is a great post. I attend a Southern Baptist church and this past Sunday our pastor spoke at length about how misguided some of our fellow Christians are. He projected several photographs on the screen showing Christian groups with signs saying things like "God hates ****." His point was that all that does is foster hate and make Christians look exclusionary, which is the exact OPPOSITE of what Christ taught. Those Christians are trying to take the power from the Holy Spirit. What Christ would like to see is Christians embracing the gay community, sharing God's Word, and allowing the Holy Spirit to work in their lives. And this message is coming from a SOUTHERN BAPTIST pastor. I looked around the congregation, and most were nodding their heads in approval. Many people have taken "Christ" out of "Christian."
Awesome post!!! I feel the same way.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:29 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
It really shouldn't matter how anyone personally feels. Discrimination has no place in any constitution.

who is being discriminated against? What right has been denied?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies