Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:47 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I see...so as long as YOUR rights are not trampled on..screw the rest?
Smoke is a physical liquid and cannot be contained once released into the atmosphere. Some people such as myself are allergic to tobacco smoke to the point that we cannot breathe when we encounter it.

Keeping smoke outdoors and away from those who may have an intolerance for it is on par with not giving peanut butter to children with allergies (which can be deadly) or not insisting that an alcoholic can handle just one drink at a social event.

Exposing someone to second-hand smoke should be construed as legal battery, and that includes those who subject their children to it when they are in an automobile.

If you choose to remain a tobacco addict rather than seeking help in quitting, you have every right to pursue a slow suicide and I would not abridge your freedom to do so in the least. But it is not and should not be your right to take me or anyone else along with you. That is where I draw the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 04:32 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
I see...so as long as YOUR rights are not trampled on..screw the rest?
That's the attitude I get all the time from smokers. It's MY right to smoke and S crew you if you cannot breathe!

Old 12-13-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Smoke is a physical liquid and cannot be contained once released into the atmosphere. Some people such as myself are allergic to tobacco smoke to the point that we cannot breathe when we encounter it.

Keeping smoke outdoors and away from those who may have an intolerance for it is on par with not giving peanut butter to children with allergies (which can be deadly) or not insisting that an alcoholic can handle just one drink at a social event.

Exposing someone to second-hand smoke should be construed as legal battery, and that includes those who subject their children to it when they are in an automobile.

If you choose to remain a tobacco addict rather than seeking help in quitting, you have every right to pursue a slow suicide and I would not abridge your freedom to do so in the least. But it is not and should not be your right to take me or anyone else along with you. That is where I draw the line.
I agree!

Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I agree!
I knew we could find something to agree on...

Old 12-13-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I knew we could find something to agree on...
I think in real life, we'd get along just fine. I rarely engage into debates about controversial topics in real life.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:00 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
Ok, How about this:
Restaurants are hereby banned from serving the following: Peanuts (or any kind of nut for that matter,) Shellfish, eggs, milk, soy and wheat because there are some people who are allergic to them. Would that make you happy?

Old 12-13-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Ok, How about this:
Restaurants are hereby banned from serving the following: Peanuts (or any kind of nut for that matter,) Shellfish, eggs, milk, soy and wheat because there are some people who are allergic to them. Would that make you happy?
Apples and oranges ... People don't have allergic reactions from what others eat but you can have an allergic reaction to the cigarette smoke of others.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Apples and oranges ... People don't have allergic reactions from what others eat but you can have an allergic reaction to the cigarette smoke of others.
Really? I dont think you understand food allergies very well. So someone who is allergic to eggs can go into a Denny's and not ever get something that has eggs?

Old 12-13-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Really? I dont think you understand food allergies very well. So someone who is allergic to eggs can go into a Denny's and not ever get something that has eggs?
People with food allergies can request food that does not contain allergens but non-smokers with allergies are forced to breathe in the cigarette smoke that smokers carelessly blow around. Apples and oranges ...

Old 12-13-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
People with food allergies can request food that does not contain allergens but non-smokers with allergies are forced to breathe in the cigarette smoke that smokers carelessly blow around. Apples and oranges ...
those same people would aslo have to make sure that no cooking utensil or pan or plate comes into contact with said allergen--or they die. seems a little more risky than getting a wisp of second hand smoke..dont you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies