Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:13 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,025 times

Advertisements

It is sad to see such a cowardly act towards innocent people whether they be Indian or American or anyone else. I'm glad, however, to see that President Bush is doing such a great job of keeping President Elect Obama in the loop during this situation. Regardless of politics and political beliefs, I hope we can all be united in supporting our country as it continues to fight terrorism abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 10:41 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Fight terrorism, support our allies, including India and Israel.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:51 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Even by the standards of terrorism in India, which has suffered a rising number of attacks this year, the assaults were particularly brazen in scale and execution. The attackers used boats to reach the urban peninsula where they hit, and their targets were sites popular with tourists.
The Mumbai police said Thursday that the attacks killed at least 101 people and wounded at least 250. Guests who had escaped the hotels told television stations that the attackers were taking hostages, singling out Americans and Britons.

article: http://tinyurl.com/58cjzt (broken link)

Thanks for starting the thread. I sure wish the American people had any idea how many of these attacks have been thwarted by the complete diligence of those employed under Homeland Security, our military and law enforcement. If they did, they would appreciate the time, energy and finances that has been poured into this endeavor.

As for India, I'm glad they are receiving international sympathy and will receive all the support they need in addressing this attack. What a complete tragedy.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:05 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
India is a ****ed up country. How can a country allow boats to just come to shore without any inspections or scrutiny? My mother visited ther country last year and she came back depressed, she was shocked by the poverty, prostitution, lack of infrastructure and total disorganization. I was thinking about visiting Mumbay or Delhi but I think I will pass it for now.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:27 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
India is a ****ed up country. How can a country allow boats to just come to shore without any inspections or scrutiny? My mother visited ther country last year and she came back depressed, she was shocked by the poverty, prostitution, lack of infrastructure and total disorganization. I was thinking about visiting Mumbay or Delhi but I think I will pass it for now.
---------------

"she was shocked by the poverty, prostitution, lack of infrastructure and total disorganization"

You have just described much of the world . Granted doesn't mean we want to visit places like that .
In my case shocked by the poverty, lack of infrastructure and total disorganization here in S.Florida

Old 11-28-2008, 05:31 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
India is a complex country. They still have that caste system and they have availed themselves of opportunities in this country by greedy companies looking to shun qualified American workers for cheaper Indian labor. Certainly their perogative to take advantage of this, but I find their presence in the communities not very positive. Their women are unapproachable. The men seem confined by a tremendous amount of restraint in social settings. Their separatist behavior I find very annoying. I don't find the quality of their work superior in any form.

That being said, no one should be attacked in such a manner, but that is a complex region, one that we know nothing about. In fact, I think every H-1B visa worker should go back to their country and help resolve their problems. That entire region is just wrought with conflict. Perhaps it is time for every Indian to return and help resolve the conflicts in their own home. Hopefully, Obama facilitates this.

We can't police the world and after Bush, can't afford to.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:54 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
We can't police the world and after Bush, can't afford to.
Agreed, but we can study why and how it happened and hopefully make us less vulnerable.

NYC
Bali
Madrid
London
Mumbai
???????

Old 11-28-2008, 06:22 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,332 times
It was sure sad to see. Any loss of life from anywhere is sad. I for one still feel better off despite the mistakes we have mad here. I feel that we are better equiped to handle this kind of issue. As I was watching this unfold for what two days I saw people walking around almost right in front of the Hotel. Press saying they could almost get in the lobby. Could something like that happen here. Yes it already did but because of 9-11 I think we are better to handle it than what I saw in this sadness in India

Old 11-28-2008, 07:06 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
No, no need to visit India. You'll find all of what you describe right here in the good old USA.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:36 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
I doubt you mother ever visited India and if you had any intentions of visiting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies