Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 01:16 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,093,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You're right, the Constitution could be amended to effectively modify or delete the 2nd Amendment. Highly unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility. The one way we differ from the rest of the world is that most of us won't voluntarily hand in our guns. Our gov't knows this and it will be very difficult to collect guns from U.S. citizens.

In addition, many guns have no traceable history. Either bought before there were any background checks, sold by face to face private sale or brought home years ago from foreign wars. I know many WWII vets that brought back Lugers, P-38's, 1911's etc. These guns still work and are lethal. There is just no way to force people to turn in guns especially when they have no record of ownership.
Having spent alot of time practically living in the US and with a US fiance I know why you need the consitution.

Firstly you have more gang, extreme, gun violence than Scotland. Gun crime is practically non existant in my part of the world which is more than i can say for the US. You need guns for protection, you have the gun crime. Here we're not so worried as we don't have that problem.

I would for sure own a handgun in the US for protection as it seems theres alot of criminals with guns there. There are alot of crazies there.

Here i dont have that problem. I can leave my doors unlocked, I use my firearms for hunting and even if i could carry a handgun into a store i wouldn't because i feel safe here. Different breed of people here. My fiance agrees with me. We dont have the violence, breed of crime that you have there.

I do not have a problem with the constitution you guys need it, with the surge in gun violence i dont blame you but us folks here aren't so worried or paranoid because we just dont have that problem

Small pockets of gangs, not like the US we'll have that and petty crime, assault but its very different indeed.

Hope you understand.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,373,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
It seems the 2nd amendment is all you have...That`s plan A...Latch on and make sure you have a plan B. If you don`t you might very well be whining to an empty room...
If our government tries to disarm us there will be rebellion, maybe civil war. That's the purpose behind the Second Amendment, it's there as a last resort to forcefully stop the government when necessary.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,583,477 times
Spot on Scotslass..
It pretty much says the same as one of my posts earlier. The level of fear demonstrated by alot of Americans speaks volumes for the society. Nowhere is perfect, but the attitude over there is so,so sad. As I`ve said before, I feel truly sorry....

Old 12-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Spot on Scotslass..
It pretty much says the same as one of my posts earlier. The level of fear demonstrated by alot of Americans speaks volumes for the society. Nowhere is perfect, but the attitude over there is so,so sad. As I`ve said before, I feel truly sorry....
Thanks. I just think the cultures of the US, Scotland, England and Ireland are all different and unique. I felt it was alarming at how friends armed themselves with a handgun (conceal to carry) just to go to a grocery store!

I would never think of doing that here even if it we had the right to bear arms. I guess we just don't live in fear here. My fiance loves our culture and the fact that not everyone is so paranoid about guns and is so obsessed.

My perception is that Americans live in fear and are so paranoid about losing their "right" to bear arms that they carry for protection? Tells me that it must be one violent place!

Secondly even when we had handguns in Scotland, there wasn't much of an increase in crime when they were banned. How do you work that one out?

My conclusion is that America has alot of nutters, especially gun nuts and makes it easier for them to get any type of firearm without hassle unlike here. I'd rather have our laws. When was the last time we had a mall shooting? Never School massacre? One Dunblane Church shooting? None drive bys? NONE

The proof is in the pudding my friends

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/usgunviolence

http://www.jayinslee.com/index.php?p...ay&id=33&sub=1

Old 12-01-2008, 01:41 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,601,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Having spent alot of time practically living in the US and with a US fiance I know why you need the consitution.

Firstly you have more gang, extreme, gun violence than Scotland. Gun crime is practically non existant in my part of the world which is more than i can say for the US. You need guns for protection, you have the gun crime. Here we're not so worried as we don't have that problem.

I would for sure own a handgun in the US for protection as it seems theres alot of criminals with guns there. There are alot of crazies there.

Here i dont have that problem. I can leave my doors unlocked, I use my firearms for hunting and even if i could carry a handgun into a store i wouldn't because i feel safe here. Different breed of people here. My fiance agrees with me. We dont have the violence, breed of crime that you have there.

I do not have a problem with the constitution you guys need it, with the surge in gun violence i dont blame you but us folks here aren't so worried or paranoid because we just dont have that problem

Small pockets of gangs, not like the US we'll have that and petty crime, assault but its very different indeed.

Hope you understand.
What on Earth are you talking about? You claim to have spent a lot of time in the US as well as having an American fiancee yet you spew claptrap about us having a violent culture that would necessitate owning a gun for safety?
Please.
I've lived in the US for 40 years and I have yet to own a gun, and noone in my family has owned a gun. No, that is not quite right -- my brother the criminal has owned guns, but there you go.
So, not only have I not owned a gun but I have not been victim of a gun crime. Or any crime, really. And while certainly the US has a lot more guns floating around then the UK, and certainly it has to be admitted that our criminals do own (illegal) guns....you cannot deny that your own criminals have weopans as well. Knives, swords and machetes I believe? Didn't some celebutard get his arm hacked off outside of a London nightclub not too long ago?
We all have our crazies, no society is immune to that.
It all boils down to what you are willing to accept -- the US is willing to accept the bad and good of private gun ownership and the UK is not. Different cultures, different histories and different ways of looking at things. Neither better then the other.....

Old 12-01-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
What on Earth are you talking about? You claim to have spent a lot of time in the US as well as having an American fiancee yet you spew claptrap about us having a violent culture that would necessitate owning a gun for safety?
Please.
I've lived in the US for 40 years and I have yet to own a gun, and noone in my family has owned a gun. No, that is not quite right -- my brother the criminal has owned guns, but there you go.
So, not only have I not owned a gun but I have not been victim of a gun crime. Or any crime, really. And while certainly the US has a lot more guns floating around then the UK, and certainly it has to be admitted that our criminals do own (illegal) guns....you cannot deny that your own criminals have weopans as well. Knives, swords and machetes I believe? Didn't some celebutard get his arm hacked off outside of a London nightclub not too long ago?
We all have our crazies, no society is immune to that.
It all boils down to what you are willing to accept -- the US is willing to accept the bad and good of private gun ownership and the UK is not. Different cultures, different histories and different ways of looking at things. Neither better then the other.....

So tell me why do some many people have conceal to carry? I'm sure its not to look good.

I'd never in a million years ever carry a gun out with me unless it was for target shooting or hunting. Must be violent if people are having to carry to stores etc.

Just an observation I made over there. Of course not all of the US is violent but there is more than the UK and most E.U countries.

Your country has seen countless school massacres, mall shootings, drive bys.

Surely there is a flaw somewhere?

London is in England, I live in Scotland my friend.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I just think the cultures of the US, Scotland, England and Ireland are all different and unique. I felt it was alarming at how friends armed themselves with a handgun (conceal to carry) just to go to a grocery store!

I would never think of doing that here even if it we had the right to bear arms. I guess we just don't live in fear here. My fiance loves our culture and the fact that not everyone is so paranoid about guns and is so obsessed.

My perception is that Americans live in fear and are so paranoid about losing their "right" to bear arms that they carry for protection? Tells me that it must be one violent place!

Secondly even when we had handguns in Scotland, there wasn't much of an increase in crime when they were banned. How do you work that one out?

My conclusion is that America has alot of nutters, especially gun nuts and makes it easier for them to get any type of firearm without hassle unlike here. I'd rather have our laws. When was the last time we had a mall shooting? Never School massacre? One Dunblane Church shooting? None drive bys? NONE

The proof is in the pudding my friends

US gun violence | World news | guardian.co.uk

Jayinslee - Gun Violence in America
I am so calling complete bull**** on your claim that everyone you know in the US carries a handgun to the grocery store. Where the hell do they live -- Compton? Even there I doubt that would be the case. I live in the US, and noone and I repeat NOONE that I know carries a handgun to the store, library, or park.
Now, it is my perception and my conclusion that Brits are just as likely to show murderous behavior as Americans...only in different ways. (Btw, wasn't there a school shooting in Scotland not too long ago where a guy killed Kindergarteners in the school gym?)
I wonder how many people are beaten to death, or stabbed to death in the UK? Or tied to railroad tracks as was the case of the little boy? Murder is not an American phenomonon as you would like to believe. It exists everywhere, yes -- even in Scotland.

Last edited by camping!; 12-01-2008 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: forgot an 'I know'

Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM

34,124 posts, read 18,373,255 times
Quote:
So tell me why do some many people have conceal to carry? I'm sure its not to look good.

Its like an insurance policy. You probably will never need to use it but you're glad to have it when you need it.

I have never seen crime occur anywhere I've lived in the U.S. Never have seen a gun pulled in anger and never had to do it myself. Hopefully that will stay the case.

I guess Colorado is in Scotland too? Seriously, were in CO do you reside?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:

I'd never in a million years ever carry a gun out with me unless it was for target shooting or hunting. Must be violent if people are having to carry to stores etc.

Just an observation I made over there. Of course not all of the US is violent but there is more than the UK and most E.U countries.

Your country has seen countless school massacres, mall shootings, drive bys.

Surely there is a flaw somewhere?

London is in England, I live in Scotland my friend.

Yes, I know the location of London -- but since Scotland is part of the UK (at least for now) I used London as an example of your country...kind of like you are making sweeping indictments of the whole of the US.
School shootings are horrible, as was the mall shooting that happened not to far from where I live. Drive bys also happen. Still, the US is not that violent. Maybe it is what we are used to, but as I said in another post I nor have anyone I have met have ever been involved in a gun crime. Or carry guns ourselves. I suppose it makes it more fun to imagine all Americans are one way --stupid, self absorbed, gun nuts-- but the reality is rather dull.
As far as concealed gun permits....I don't know anyone who has one. And I do know a lot of people. It is my understanding that you have to have a good reason to have one, and 'I want one' is not a good enough reason. Perhaps if there is anyone posting on this thread with a permit to carry a concealed weopen, they could explain the procedure.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Its like an insurance policy. You probably will never need to use it but you're glad to have it when you need it.

I have never seen crime occur anywhere I've lived in the U.S. Never have seen a gun pulled in anger and never had to do it myself. Hopefully that will stay the case.

I guess Colorado is in Scotland too? Seriously, were in CO do you reside?
Boulder....kidding I ain't liberal

Grand Junction area, where my fiance is moving to in 3 weeks Ah don't get me started, see

Quote:
Yes, I know the location of London -- but since Scotland is part of the UK (at least for now) I used London as an example of your country...kind of like you are making sweeping indictments of the whole of the US.
School shootings are horrible, as was the mall shooting that happened not to far from where I live. Drive bys also happen. Still, the US is not that violent. Maybe it is what we are used to, but as I said in another post I nor have anyone I have met have ever been involved in a gun crime. Or carry guns ourselves. I suppose it makes it more fun to imagine all Americans are one way --stupid, self absorbed, gun nuts-- but the reality is rather dull.
As far as concealed gun permits....I don't know anyone who has one. And I do know a lot of people. It is my understanding that you have to have a good reason to have one, and 'I want one' is not a good enough reason. Perhaps if there is anyone posting on this thread with a permit to carry a concealed weopen, they could explain the procedure.
Arrghh Scotland is my country. I don't live in England.

I know the US isn't all violent but you must understand that you have more extreme violence than Scotland. Not what im used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies