Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 06:13 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Why would we want to continue to deny coverage to 45 million Americans for things like:

* inoculations against epidemic diseases
* prenatal care for expectant mothers, to avoid complications that would affect the child for a lifetime and thereby add to future healthcare costs
* screening for normal childhood development
* cancer screening, at all ages
* eye exams for children, but also for all ages (esp. for elderly drivers of automobiles)
* dental care, at all ages
* high blood pressure screening and treatments
* Etc.

Most of the above are already offered and readily available.
This past week my town offered influenza shots, blood pressure screenings, and more free.

Prenatal care is encouraged and free for those of low income already. . .

And which "epidemic diseases" do you speak of?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:25 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
If healthcare is worthwhile for anyone (which is beyond argument), then why should it be unavailable to all, regardless of the ability to pay? How's that?

Why would we want to continue to deny coverage to 45 million Americans for things like:

* prenatal care for expectant mothers, to avoid complications that would affect the child for a lifetime and thereby add to future healthcare costs
* eye exams for children, but also for all ages (esp. for elderly drivers of automobiles)
* Etc.

All ready available and utilized

Old 12-07-2007, 07:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
You know the more I think about all of this RIGHT TO HEALTHCARE.. The more annoyed I get.

1) Where is my right to choose to not have healthcare? That right does exist simply by nature of the history of our coutry.

2) States currently have the right to vote for statewide healthcare, that right currently exist. Why do states not vote for statewide healthcare? They cant afford it.

3) Why do people not care, that the federal government, is taking away powers from the states. Do people not realise that as soon as we get "national healthcare" that things like medicaid would cease to exist, because states would stop offering it, moving these bills to the federal government?

Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
If healthcare is worthwhile for anyone (which is beyond argument), then why should it be unavailable to all, regardless of the ability to pay? How's that?

* Etc.
Noone answers this better than this historical figure.

"The corporate State considers that private enterprise in the sphere of production is the most effective and useful instrument in the interest of the nation. In view of the fact that private organization of production is a function of national concern, the organizer of the enterprise is responsible to the State for the direction given to production. State intervention in economic production arises only when private initiative is lacking or insufficient, or when the political interests of the State are involved. This intervention may take the form of control, assistance or direct management." (pp. 135-136)
—Benito Mussolini, 1935,
Fascism: Doctrine and Institutions, Rome: 'Ardita' Publishers.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Yea he provided a link. The part he forgot to include along with the $51/month premium is the $5000 deductible and 30% copay after that.

So for a serious injury or illness, this insurance is not going to help too much at all. Say it is a $15k surgery and hospital stay.

Guy pays $5000 upfront deductible plus $3000 of the remaining copay. $8000 suddenly for a guy making $15/hour and he is supposed to be "ok" with that because he has insurance. Too bad, so sad he should have been living within his means and have $8000 available for such a situation.

Pay $8k with insurance in the U.S. ...or he could go to Canada or Mexico and probably pay 1/2 that amount out of pocket, no insurance for the whole thing.

If you want an insurance that is really going to help you in the event of a catastrophic illness or medical emergency, then yes the premiums go way up. And that is for a single person. Multiply by 4 or whatever for a family and you are paying easily $500/month or more with employer assistance, $thousands/month if you try to do it on your own.

And it just keeps going up every single year, much faster than inflation.
Hmmm. Can't find the link. I must be blind. Figures since I only ever get a "discount" on eyeglasses, and my prescription is bad (can't live without glasses), so I always end up paying hundreds of $ out of pocket for glasses, even with high insurance premiums, so I end up going years without getting a new pair, causing my vision to worsen. Another gripe I have with insurance programs...they never seem to cover something I actually need to function on a daily basis (very healthy besides that).

But anyway, you are exactly right. Insurance is not very helpful and way too expensive. I know this from my own experience.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:07 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Noone answers this better than this historical figure.

"The corporate State considers that private enterprise in the sphere of production is the most effective and useful instrument in the interest of the nation. In view of the fact that private organization of production is a function of national concern, the organizer of the enterprise is responsible to the State for the direction given to production. State intervention in economic production arises only when private initiative is lacking or insufficient, or when the political interests of the State are involved. This intervention may take the form of control, assistance or direct management." (pp. 135-136)
—Benito Mussolini, 1935,
Fascism: Doctrine and Institutions, Rome: 'Ardita' Publishers.
So the American government dare not get involved in health care over private interests because then it would be Mussolini's fascism? And the government giving out free flu shots is a warning sign of that?

Old 12-08-2007, 04:36 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Peoples health is of utmost importance. Any nation that allows for profit companies to deny, charge exorbitant rates for health care to its citizens/human beings with less then perfect genes is a nation that needs to check in to have its morals and values upgraded.

The USA has reverted under the conservative policies of the last 30 plus years to an elite plutocracy, All the power and influence is concentrated into greedy self serving corporations and individuals. A nation supposedly as great as the USA- which derives many aspects of its current economy on sick and or vulnerable human beings is a 'democracy' in need of serious 'reform'.

Last edited by skytrekker; 12-08-2007 at 07:12 AM..

Old 12-08-2007, 04:39 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
But anyway, you are exactly right. Insurance is not very helpful and way too expensive. I know this from my own experience.
And you think it will get less expensive if gov't takes over?

Old 12-08-2007, 06:11 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
And you think it will get less expensive if gov't takes over?
Well, that is what many corporate CEOs and business owners around the country certainly think - not "taking over" of course...but limited involvement to assist in slowing the train wreck.

Guess they all must be "Communists", huh?

Old 12-08-2007, 06:53 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Well, that is what many corporate CEOs and business owners around the country certainly think - not "taking over" of course...but limited involvement to assist in slowing the train wreck.

Guess they all must be "Communists", huh?
Or of course they want to simply stop being responsible for paying fo rtheir employees insurance....

Funny thing is CEOs and big business is not to be trusted most of the time....except in this instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies