Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:28 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Seems odd that the same people that would push for more strict gun control are the same ones bashing the police department and it's ability to serve and make decisions.

Is this one of those stances that would fit in with the "believes in abortion but not the death penalty" threads of how many contradictions can one party make?
When have I EVER posted about more strict gun control? On the contrary, I am pretty liberal with my gun views. If someone is breaking into your home, I think you should have the right to blow a hole in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 11:38 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:
Seems odd that the same people that would push for more strict gun control are the same ones bashing the police department and it's ability to serve and make decisions.

Is this one of those stances that would fit in with the "believes in abortion but not the death penalty" threads of how many contradictions can one party make?
Confused is the belief that placing more guns in the hands of citizens somehow reduces the need for police protection. I don't believe in guns because I'm not afraid. Never needed one in almost 50 years. As for "bashing" the police department, everyone bashes people for making mistakes. The police are labeled "authority figures" and so they must be held to a higher standard. A mistake where someone ends up with a broken back, a week in jail without charges, etc. is not to be dismissed lightly.

You are also questioning the sanity of one political party but you're conveniently twisting your words to make it look like a contradiction. I don't think those that identify themselves with your inferred political party actually support abortion. They support the right for a woman to choose, which is quite a different thing. Holding this view while simultaneously opposing the death penalty is not an automatic contradiction. But their are other threads for these subjects.

The police ARE out of control. They are being primed for the days/months/years when everyone will protest being detained/microchipped/killed. The elite can't impose their will on a much larger population without some help from your local precinct. When you watch shows like "24" and "The Shield" and many movies, you're being spoon-fed what's in store. You're being set up to accept such tactics as normal and acceptable.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:04 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Quote:

Quite the opposite, I think everyone should arm themselves and take responsibility for their own defense. Not only can the Police not protect you, but they are under no obligation to do so. If they do, gravy, if they don't, well that's a tragedy.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Quite the opposite, I think everyone should arm themselves and take responsibility for their own defense. Not only can the Police not protect you, but they are under no obligation to do so. If they do, gravy, if they don't, well that's a tragedy.
Like those guys who shoot trick-or-treaters?

Or like kereczr, who believes he has a right to blow a hole in a human being for petty trespassing, and ask question later?

Maybe I should rethink what I said before. I fear the police more than I fear criminals, but I fear maniacal gun nuts most of all.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:54 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The guy who shot those trick-or-treaters did that with an Ak-47, and was an ex-con. Not only should he not have had a gun in the first place, he shouldn't have had a fully automatic assault rifle.

And the gentlemen in question stated that he would shoot a burglar, not a trespasser. Call me crazy, but I have a hard time drumming up sympathy for someone who'd break into another person's home.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
The guy who shot those trick-or-treaters did that with an Ak-47, and was an ex-con. Not only should he not have had a gun in the first place, he shouldn't have had a fully automatic assault rifle.

And the gentlemen in question stated that he would shoot a burglar, not a trespasser. Call me crazy, but I have a hard time drumming up sympathy for someone who'd break into another person's home.

A gun nut is a gun nut, and there is no difference between the mentality of the ones who are ex-cons and the ones who haven't had the chance to kill anybody yet.

I have a hard time drumming up sympathy for a guy who cuts me off in traffic and gives me the finger, but I don't have the right to blow a hole in any person just because I do not have any sympathy for them.

Guns don't kill people. People (who imagine that they have the right to kill people) kill people. And the guy who killed the trick-or-treaters showed remorse---which is a lot more than most gun nuts do when they shoot somebody.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Or like kereczr, who believes he has a right to blow a hole in a human being for petty trespassing, and ask question later?

Maybe I should rethink what I said before. I fear the police more than I fear criminals, but I fear maniacal gun nuts most of all.
Why should i pause and inquire to a trespasser his intentions? I live in a town were just a couple of month ago a missing 16 year old girl was found headless in the woods. If someone breaks into my house in the middle of the night with me and my family asleep, he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. If he then goes and shows some kind of aggressive move towards me or my family it is HIS fault he gets shot, not mine. I am not going to stand there and ponder about whether or not this may be a good guy on hard times or a guy who would as soon kill me because I saw his face.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Seems those that hate the police are the first to call them really. In the end any city is free to reduce their police force has they wish. There are lots of citoies that will hire trained police officers with the number of citizens out of control.Be my guest ;boycott the police by not caslloing them if you have trouble.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:32 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Seems those that hate the police are the first to call them really. In the end any city is free to reduce their police force has they wish. There are lots of citoies that will hire trained police officers with the number of citizens out of control.Be my guest ;boycott the police by not caslloing them if you have trouble.
I don't really see anyone posting that they "hate" the police,but bringing bad cops to light should make you happy.You can't just blindly follow along until YOU are the one that is hassled and THEN start crying about it.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I've been robbed three times in two years, you know what help calling the police has gotten me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies