Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:07 AM

36,770 posts, read 18,709,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Bob Jones Universtiy has nothing to appologize for. They are one of the top (perhaps the top) provider of textbooks for home schooling. Their books are second to none, and if you have questions about something in the textbook, you can call BJU and speak with the staff.

We used their materials almost exclusively the entire time our girls were in school, and they always scored in the high 90 precentile ranking on the standardized test (required every year for homeschoolers in Ohio), far outperforming their public school counterparts, who are only required to take the test every other year.

Further, we have met most of the teaching staff (or at least the ones that were there when our children were in school) as they did yearly seminars in cities accross the country. We attended two years in a row in San Diego. They are wonderful people.

Most of the negatives that you hear about BJU are untrue, spread by people who are anti-Christian bigots.
If you want to know what the product of this so-called "education" (read: brainwashing) looks like, rent the DVD "Jesus Camp". It is a documentary about the Christian Right (the ones who put the "fun" in fundamentalist). Check out Levi as he is homeschooled and as he meets the Rev. Ted Haggard (former White House advisor and closet homosexual and former pastor of a megachurch). Watch the children pray for an end to abortion before a cardboard cutout of George W. Bush. Watch a child reduced to tears because of self-loathing brought on by the teachings of these self-eous people.

Then come back and tell me it isn't child abuse. I know a couple of people who graduated BJU. Trust me, everything you have ever heard about them is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 11:15 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,588,969 times
The marxist universities we are stuck with today, considered now the "norm" in secondary education, could use a lesson in self-flaggellation as well. It could only help...

Old 11-28-2008, 12:35 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,718,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Is there an extra charge for teaching those poor kids the BJU brand of mis-guided bogotry and self-righteousness?

That's not what the child care does.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:20 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
That's not what the child care does.

I'd be extremely leery of entrusting children to the care of an institution that has professed some of the 'values' BJU has in the past.

If they truly held the Christian core beliefs they claim I doubt they'd be apologizing as often as they are.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I'd be extremely leery of entrusting children to the care of an institution that has professed some of the 'values' BJU has in the past.

If they truly held the Christian core beliefs they claim I doubt they'd be apologizing as often as they are.
Have you been there?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:33 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,643,590 times
BJU is for stupid people who want to go to a school where they won't feel stupid, indeed where their stupidity will be coddled and passed off as beneficial.

Much the same is true of homeschooling where screwballs can raise their next generation of screwballs without contact with the civilizing influences of normal schools.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Have you been there?

No, as I haven't been to the sun yet I know beyond a shadow of doubt it's unbearably hot.

I have seen the results of a BJU 'education' on a friend's family member, a once lovely, curious about the world, tolerant young woman who now views the world as good/evil, black/white with no shades of gray. A shame to see someone so young so close-minded.

IMO that's not the result of a real world, well-rounded education.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Just as a little reminder, school segregation was ruled unconstitutional for public institutions. BJU is a private school, and for the most part, private universities do their own thing... Hence why we have all black schools, all girl colleges, etc.

The legalities are irrelevant. I'd like to know the Biblical basis for the Christian? action of prohibiting interracial dating?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
No, as I haven't been to the sun yet I know beyond a shadow of doubt it's unbearably hot.

I have seen the results of a BJU 'education' on a friend's family member, a once lovely, curious about the world, tolerant young woman who now views the world as good/evil, black/white with no shades of gray. A shame to see someone so young so close-minded.

IMO that's not the result of a real world, well-rounded education.
I've worked with several people who graduated from BJU. None of them were like that at all. I have a very well adjusted niece who went to the BJU daycare, and for a few years I lived around the corner from it so I often ran into BJU folks.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I've worked with several people who graduated from BJU. None of them were like that at all. I have a very well adjusted niece who went to the BJU daycare, and for a few years I lived around the corner from it so I often ran into BJU folks.
I know they've changed but as I've said, I'd like to know the Biblical basis for banning inter-racial dating.

And I'm still trying to confirm/disprove BJU at one time labeling Catholicism and Mormonism as little more than cults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies