Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

So what is your point? I am guessing most everybody you meet is very friendly and kind to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Seriously though--you've met some of the worst people of every group we've talked about on here. The gay and lesbian people you meet are disagreeable somehow, as are the psychologists. I can only assume you don't like the gay or lesbian psychologists you meet.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:03 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I have my theories, and they all revolve around political correctness, and the fact that the field of psychology is for the most part a very liberal field politically. I don't think it is right or fair to remove it, seeing as these poor souls do suffer from an abnormality in the brain and many would likely benefit from treatment.
Did it occur to you that psychology is not an absolute science? That what was once considered a disorder is now recognized as being within 'norms'?
When my df was young, being left handed was considered being abnormal and his teachers (and step mother) strove to 'fix' him of his deviance. They tied his left hand behind his back and made him write and eat with his right one. All that accomplished was making him equelly inept at both hands
The point is....at that time and place it was standard procedure to treat left handedness as a disorder or disability that needed to be 'fixed' in order for the lefty to become part of regular society. It was also thought that being left handed was a harbinger of a criminal inclination. Thankfully, we now know that belief was false. Nowadays, my dd is allowed to be a lefty in peace. Why does it upset you so to leave gay people in peace to be what they are?

Old 11-29-2008, 12:11 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I know a lot of psychology and a lot of it is junk.
I highly doubt premise number one, therefore premise number two is invalidated. Because no one for whom premise number one is true would make such a baseless and ridiculous claim as premise number two.

Quote:
If it was so great then how come there are so many dysfunctional and depressed people?
Because obviously everyone who has issues does not/can not go to a professional. And even then, that is only one aspect of it.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,837 times
Quote:
I have my theories, and they all revolve around political correctness, and the fact that the field of psychology is for the most part a very liberal field politically. I don't think it is right or fair to remove it, seeing as these poor souls do suffer from an abnormality in the brain and many would likely benefit from treatment.
Not this moron again. Yah the gay movement had sooooooooo much power 40-50 years ago....riiiiiiiiiight.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:13 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This American Life: 204: 81 Words

"The story of how the American Psychiatric Association decided in 1973 that homosexuality was no longer a mental illness."

Old 11-29-2008, 04:02 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
Quote:
Homosexuality isn't an affliction and it doesn't need treatment. The people that need treatment are those that think gays should be the ones getting it. Also, schizophrenia is a mental disorder, not homosexuality. Homosexuality doesn't harm the individual or society.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
In the end its all in the politics of the time. Just as they now classify drug and alcohol abuse a medical disease not a choice. Its all about funding and insurance in many cases with diseases.They would treat ingrown toenils as a meantl disorder if their were funding to be had.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:29 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So what is your point? I am guessing most everybody you meet is very friendly and kind to you?
My point is that you judge large groups of people by the jerks that you happen to meet, or at least it comes off that way.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:12 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,955 times
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11104232?nclick_check=1

Article: Growing evidence suggest being gay is not 'a choice'.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:19 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
It's not a mental illness if it doesn't negatively affect your ability to function. It would have to be a disability to be a mental illness, which it is not. Deviation from the majority has no inherent superior-inferior ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies