Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 01:41 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,459,731 times

Advertisements

This black Friday I went to an animal shelter, and I went to the mall and bought me a crucifix necklace because they were on sale for half off, and because I don't have one and it was a good opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 01:52 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree with ALL that you say.

Our culture is decidedly one of consumerism, instant gratification, to hell with the long term. What does it all mean? To me, it means we have about 20-40 years left as a nation - unless we get out stuff together. Our roads and infrastructure are crumbling, our schools do poorly in many places, our people seem more stupid every year, our leadership is morally and ethically bankrupt, we are not investing in our nation's future (railroads, wind, solar, nuclear, health care, education, etc) and we don't seem to care. I'll be dead in 20 years anyway, but I feel for the younger folks who are going to have to go through who knows what horrors.
Great thread - very timely discussion..

Funny, our country is supposed to be in a severe economic downtown but as I drove through several major shopping areas today, the parking lots were packed with cars! Maybe noone's watching the news or listening to Paulson?

It's definitely a 'live for today' culture and forget about the worries (bills) of tomorrow. I so easily recall Bush's words after 9/11 when he encouraged people to 'shop, shop, shop'..
With our capitalistic markets the guiding focus and touchstone of this country (remember who got bailed out) have we become merely a nation of shoppers to satiate the marketplace? As someone said previously, does anyone save anymore or live within their means? Do they even know how to?

I, too, fear for our kids. Some of us I think are children of depression-age parents, who remembering how little they had as youngsters, treasured and guarded what they acquired as adults. *Their* children (us) were then taught the importance of saving, not just deposting $$ in a savings account but saving up until you had the money to buy what you desired! I can recall saving for weeks (out of my paltry part-time job in high school) so I could buy a special article of clothing! Nowadays, lots of high school kids have their own credit cards.

The system and values today have warped into something not good for our society as a whole. The question is; what can change this dynamic? Do people have to suffer as our parents or grandparents did in the Great Depression?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:59 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
lol, they shop today then complain when Bank of America charges them 80.00 overlimit fees....

Old 11-28-2008, 03:47 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
With all the bailouts and bank failures we have seen, its apparent this country needs a major overhaul.

I am not an economist, and God knows we cant change peoples values, but really, there is something wrong in a country where people wake up at 4AM to make the blue-light special at K-Mart......

Take your kid to a petting zoo, animal shelter, or volunteer at a soup kitchen. Do something constructive, other than maxxing out credit cards. I did that for so many years, to what avail?

Its sad that Xmas brings out the worst in some people. Shopping isnt going to make your life better.
Here is a link to a website that is totally in agreement. I've heard his guy on the radio and I think there was a story about him on Nightline or one of those shows.

http://www.revbilly.com/sites/all/th...images/dot.gif

Old 11-28-2008, 06:14 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
oops...here's the right link
About Us | Reverend Billy & The Church of Stop Shopping

Old 11-28-2008, 08:38 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Excellent! But clearly alot of folks live for shopping, and cruising the malls has become a major social activity. Americans often define themselves by their "stuff", the car they drive, the clothes they wear, the kind of home they have. Not to mention the fact that manufacturing (and consuming) creates jobs.

So naturally the question is, what should replace this culture of Capitalism & Consumerism?

Old 11-29-2008, 01:40 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Excellent! But clearly alot of folks live for shopping, and cruising the malls has become a major social activity. Americans often define themselves by their "stuff", the car they drive, the clothes they wear, the kind of home they have. Not to mention the fact that manufacturing (and consuming) creates jobs.

So naturally the question is, what should replace this culture of Capitalism & Consumerism?
wow what an easy question.

Museums, art, culture, travel, diversity, and learning.

NONE of which is offered at JCPenney

Old 11-29-2008, 06:10 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
wow what an easy question.

Museums, art, culture, travel, diversity, and learning.

NONE of which is offered at JCPenney

Maybe people should be left alone to decide what they "value". I hate consumerism more than anyone, but at least I have the maturity to realize that it's not my place to tell someone else how to define their values (The Rule of Law notwithstanding).

Christmas has become a mockery of my religon and values, and a display of hypocracy. However, the greatest hypocracy is those who seek to bring "Love and Togetherness" yet speak with hate in their hearts of those who do not feel as they do.

Jesus said to turn the other cheek. I do not see ignorant shoppers, I see people in depserate need of compassion and the holy spirit.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:38 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Maybe people should be left alone to decide what they "value". I hate consumerism more than anyone, but at least I have the maturity to realize that it's not my place to tell someone else how to define their values (The Rule of Law notwithstanding).

Christmas has become a mockery of my religon and values, and a display of hypocracy. However, the greatest hypocracy is those who seek to bring "Love and Togetherness" yet speak with hate in their hearts of those who do not feel as they do.

Jesus said to turn the other cheek. I do not see ignorant shoppers, I see people in depserate need of compassion and the holy spirit.
Curious that anyone would advocate leaving folks alone "to decide what they value", and yet in the same breath would choose to condemn those who don't share their "religion or values". Perhaps you're right, maybe some do "speak with hate in their hearts of those who do not feel as they do".

"And why dost thou behold the mote that is in thy brother`s eye, and the beam that is in thine own eye dost not consider?" Matthew 7:3

Personally, I do think there's a spiritual vacuum that's being inadequately filled by a consumer culture and the cult of celebrity (our new "gods"). But filling that vacuum with a culture of self-righteous Pharisees and a plastic mono-theology isn't the answer either.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Curious that anyone would advocate leaving folks alone "to decide what they value", and yet in the same breath would choose to condemn those who don't share their "religion or values". Perhaps you're right, maybe some do "speak with hate in their hearts of those who do not feel as they do".

"And why dost thou behold the mote that is in thy brother`s eye, and the beam that is in thine own eye dost not consider?" Matthew 7:3

Personally, I do think there's a spiritual vacuum that's being inadequately filled by a consumer culture and the cult of celebrity (our new "gods"). But filling that vacuum with a culture of self-righteous Pharisees and a plastic mono-theology isn't the answer either.
Proof? Show where I have spoken hateful towards other "beliefs"?

Me thinks you're the one with a serious moral vacuum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies