Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:25 PM

472 posts, read 740,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I thought it was legal to own guns in the USA providing you pass the background check.
There is a big difference between lawful ownership and lawful possession. In most states it is unlawful to carry a firearm in designated areas such as banks, bars, churches, schools, public buildings, and places of business with proper posting of "gun prohibited" signage.

I cannot call to mind any of the mass shootings which were not carried out in a "gun free" zone.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:26 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Lol, you are very intolerant. And you obviously do not care about the constitution.
No, she doesn't. She lives in London. It's impossible for anyone who does not live in The US to understand how we live and why we own guns.We are a free people, they are Subjects of The Queen. Big difference.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:10 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Except in places like schools and did you notice when the school shootings started? Not in the 60's when virtually anyone could purchase a rifle or shotgun by the mail. No it started after the "Gun Free Zones" were declared. It meant "Hey over here, everyone is un-armed! You can shoot as many innocents as you like without fear!"
Didn't the Whitman shooting at UT occur in the 60's? And in Texas of all places.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
No, she doesn't. She lives in London. It's impossible for anyone who does not live in The US to understand how we live and why we own guns.We are a free people, they are Subjects of The Queen. Big difference.
Well there are a lot of Americans who live in America who feel the same way as I do. Even after living in America for almost 20 years I never got the fascination over guns. By the way I'm African and Caribbean and ain't no subject nor do I pledge no aligence to any queen. Worldly aren't you?

Old 12-03-2008, 01:20 PM

Exactly my point. People were still able to carry weapons on campus non? He managed to kill and injure quite a few people.

Quote:
Except in places like schools and did you notice when the school shootings started? Not in the 60's when virtually anyone could purchase a rifle or shotgun by the mail. No it started after the "Gun Free Zones" were declared. It meant "Hey over here, everyone is un-armed! You can shoot as many innocents as you like without fear!"

Old 12-03-2008, 01:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
"Gun Free Zones" are nonsense - have proved to be totally ineffective keeping those bent on violence away

Frankly, more and more schools are allowing teachers to carry weapons - and more and more teachers are requesting permission to carry firearms.

We now have flight decks on commercial aircraft with armed crew.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Exactly my point. People were still able to carry weapons on campus non? He managed to kill and injure quite a few people.
Wow what happend there. I responded to a post but didn't include it in my response and now it's deleted. I had no idea we were able to delete our own posts or did er mod do the person a favor as I proved them wrong.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:57 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Wow what happend there. I responded to a post but didn't include it in my response and now it's deleted. I had no idea we were able to delete our own posts or did er mod do the person a favor as I proved them wrong.
That was probably my post and I deleted it until I could get back and add to it.

"We didn't have gun free zones in the sixties"

And the problem was he was high up on a tower and I would bet that there were students there with pistols but they would have been no good at that range. Even the police had to go up to get him, they could not do it from the ground even with rifles.

I bet had this been in a class room it would have ended a lot sooner than it did.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Quote:
Ramiro Martinez, an officer who confronted Whitman, later stated in his book that the civilian shooters should be credited, as they made it difficult for Whitman to take careful aim without being hit.[
Charles Whitman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However one other thing should be noted: if there were so few school or college shootings before all of this gun control and gun free zone stuff was created, but so many afterwards, it's still clear evidence it hasn't worked and is the wrong approach.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
That was probably my post and I deleted it until I could get back and add to it.

"We didn't have gun free zones in the sixties"

And the problem was he was high up on a tower and I would bet that there were students there with pistols but they would have been no good at that range. Even the police had to go up to get him, they could not do it from the ground even with rifles.

I bet had this been in a class room it would have ended a lot sooner than it did.

Quote:
And the problem was he was high up on a tower
Yup I knew that I was waiting for someone to say something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies