Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 03:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Oh man are you serious? You mean you place so much on guns and gun ownership that anyone who isn't ape wild about guns you write off as "unable to assimilate inthe United States" ? That pretty much says a lot about you and worldly is not one.

I assimilated and other than for a short time I was armed I had no need for a gun. I guess the only time assimilation would be a problem is if I moved in the same circles with people who measured their manhoods by the type of truck they drove or they type of weapons they owned.
Geeoro will have difficulty assimilating in my opinion because he is so "anti gun" that the fact his neighbors have firearms or the person in the mall is carrying concealed, that he may be unable to accept the gun culture we are.

Also, I caution you against stereotyping as you constantly do - Woman are buying firearms at a faster rate then men - and firearms of all types from handguns to assault rifles - and yes, some of them drive Hummers and Mercedes - hence there is no "manhood" to measure.

I guess you are incapable of realizing how woman could love firearms so much - but, they do.

BTW - out of sheer curiosity - have you ever fired a gun?

Old 11-30-2008, 03:47 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Some of you embrace guns easier than homosexuality
I certainly do. Why should I embrace homosexuality ahead of guns as a heterosexual man who likes guns?

I like my Subaru, too, but it has a bumper sticker that reads, "I drive a Subaru, but I am straight."

Old 11-30-2008, 03:55 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
What more?

Well, IMO, GEEORO is going to have a very difficult time assimilating here in the United States - with his neighbors and many others carrying firearms.
I have no problem "assimilating" into the USA. I love the USA and it has much going for it. It also has problems that are caused by the arrogant attitude that the "old ways" are always right and progress and change are not a good thing.
The days of the settler who had to hunt for food or defend himself against the renegade or the hostile country are long gone. Pity this attitude remains in some as an excuse to play "cowboy and indians".
The reason that so many nut jobs are allowed to have guns or are allowed to stop basic human rights such as Homosexual equality or good education and health care for all is this Elitist B/S that has now brought America to it's knees. This greedy, me, me, me must stop and i hope it does. I have spoken to many good hard working Americans who have now had enough of being dictated to by CEO's and greedy company politics.
Now Obama has been elected it will be nice for America to once again think about every American and not just the smug self centred crazies who think that middle America is just cannon fodder.
It is not a good trait to be so gun happy or to be so intolerant of gays or any one else who doesn't tow the religious fanatics line.
Let's hope playtime now comes to an end and the new fresh American can bring America back to where it should be..... The envy of the World and not the Psychologists dream.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:08 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Geeoro will have difficulty assimilating in my opinion because he is so "anti gun" that the fact his neighbors have firearms or the person in the mall is carrying concealed, that he may be unable to accept the gun culture we are.

Also, I caution you against stereotyping as you constantly do - Woman are buying firearms at a faster rate then men - and firearms of all types from handguns to assault rifles - and yes, some of them drive Hummers and Mercedes - hence there is no "manhood" to measure.

I guess you are incapable of realizing how woman could love firearms so much - but, they do.

BTW - out of sheer curiosity - have you ever fired a gun?
Have you ever left your country other than to go to sit on a beach in Mexico or the Bahamas? Do you know other people from other countries?

Yes, I include women in my statements even though I may not distinguish. Do I know any of them personally? I'm friends with women who have guns for protection... I have no problem with that. They aren't fanatics like the ones you describe.

Yes I've fired guns....after all I had to in order to learn how to use one and get a license. My ex also dragged me a few times to practice, he was a former marine and did one tour of vietnam, but even he had to get rid of his eventually even though I don't believe he ever really did. He's another one that loved guns

Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I have no problem "assimilating" into the USA. I love the USA and it has much going for it. It also has problems that are caused by the arrogant attitude that the "old ways" are always right and progress and change are not a good thing.
The days of the settler who had to hunt for food or defend himself against the renegade or the hostile country are long gone. Pity this attitude remains in some as an excuse to play "cowboy and indians".
The reason that so many nut jobs are allowed to have guns or are allowed to stop basic human rights such as Homosexual equality or good education and health care for all is this Elitist B/S that has now brought America to it's knees. This greedy, me, me, me must stop and i hope it does. I have spoken to many good hard working Americans who have now had enough of being dictated to by CEO's and greedy company politics.
Now Obama has been elected it will be nice for America to once again think about every American and not just the smug self centred crazies who think that middle America is just cannon fodder.
It is not a good trait to be so gun happy or to be so intolerant of gays or any one else who doesn't tow the religious fanatics line.
Let's hope playtime now comes to an end and the new fresh American can bring America back to where it should be..... The envy of the World and not the Psychologists dream.
Perhaps you believe whatever you watch on TV or read on US newsprint? See...in the US it's illegal for "nut jobs" to have guns. The same applies to felons, and even minors in some instances. But no law is going to stop "nut jobs" and criminals from stealing guns, or making their own guns.

Also, guns are used for hunting, for shooting targets, Olympic shooting, etc. Guns are used by the police, the military, and other agencies. Guns are not longer used to kill Indians and vise versa (no more playing cowboys and indians).

Intolerance works both ways. Why should Christians tolerate homosexuality and all other forms of sexual practices, and not these groups and peoples tolerating Christianity? Just look at what has happened in CA. Now the homosexual community want to the courts to strike the will of the people.

By the way, I was not born in the US, and have assimilate quite well through the years.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:21 PM

Raggy de Anne.....Thank God that you are one of a growing breed in America who can see past the crazy old attitudes that do harm to America. If only some Americans could see how intolerance and fear is ruling their thoughts and actions. The Election of Obama is a clear signal to the crazies that America wants change. If some want to carry guns or try to stop equality....let them. If carrying a gun or putting down gays makes them feel big, that is their problem. If it wasn't soooo sad it would be funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Have you ever left your country other than to go to sit on a beach in Mexico or the Bahamas? Do you know other people from other countries?
Yes. I maintained a home in the Pacific Rim for many years. We travel extensively throughout China, Russia, Central and South America. We have spent a lot of time in Germany, Switzerland and Austria as well and the UK and Ireland (Isle of Mann) We have also made several trips to South Africa. We are in Mexico at least once every 6 weeks or so.

Over the last 5 years, I made 3 trips to Iraq and one to Kuwait.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
If carrying a gun makes them feel big, that is their problem.
The fact is - more and more and more women and men are purchasing, and carrying concealed weapons. Again, this is fact - not fiction. It is also fact that this trend is pretty much irreversible - guns will always be a major part of the fabric of the culture of the United States - and even you agreed with this -

IMO - it is simply something that you and others are going to have to come to grips with - and recognize that the person in the car next to you at the stop light, or the person walking towards you in the shopping center, may, in fact, be armed.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Perhaps you believe whatever you watch on TV or read on US newsprint? See...in the US it's illegal for "nut jobs" to have guns. The same applies to felons, and even minors in some instances. But no law is going to stop "nut jobs" and criminals from stealing guns, or making their own guns.

Also, guns are used for hunting, for shooting targets, Olympic shooting, etc. Guns are used by the police, the military, and other agencies. Guns are not longer used to kill Indians and vise versa (no more playing cowboys and indians).

Intolerance works both ways. Why should Christians tolerate homosexuality and all other forms of sexual practices, and not these groups and peoples tolerating Christianity? Just look at what has happened in CA. Now the homosexual community want to the courts to strike the will of the people.

By the way, I was not born in the US, and have assimilate quite well through the years.
Could you tell me how you can decide a persons mental stability when he applies for a gun license??? There are many "sane" people ready to explode like a time bomb who have never commited a crime or even sought medical help. Guns are too easy to obtain and that is by fellons, nut jobs and anyone who meets the basic requirements for a gun permit.
You are right about intolerance working both ways. That is a pity. Tolerance should be the key word for everyone.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:34 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Yes. I maintained a home in the Pacific Rim for many years. We travel extensively throughout China, Russia, Central and South America. We have spent a lot of time in Germany, Switzerland and Austria as well and the UK and Ireland (Isle of Mann) We have also made several trips to South Africa. We are in Mexico at least once every 6 weeks or so.

Over the last 5 years, I made 3 trips to Iraq and one to Kuwait.
Sure you have. btw are you a vet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies