Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 12:44 PM

36,772 posts, read 18,709,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
This has nothing to do w/whether it's an addiction or not. No one ever said smoking wasn't an addiction. I agree, it is. If it wasn't then it wouldn't be so hard to quit. The point of the matter is, we're talking about being allowed to smoke in areas that still allow smoking & non-smokers being allowed to be in places that don't allow smoking. Why is it so hard for everyone to understand this?? Non-smokers keep bitching about smokers ruining their health......get this straight, if you are not frequenting bars that allow smoking, then what is going on here? If you ARE going into bars that you know damn well allow smoking, then who's at fault here??? I'm not sure why this argument is so difficult to understand.
Any business that is open to the public and not a private, membership-only club should be legally a non-smoking venue, IMHO, for the health, safety, and comfort of all members of the public who may visit..

The private clubs would then become the shootiing galleries for the addicts to go to for social interaction in an atmosphere where they can get a fix whenever they need one surrounded by sympathetic noses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 12:47 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,505,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Any business that is open to the public and not a private, membership-only club should be legally a non-smoking venue, IMHO, for the health, safety, and comfort of all members of the public who may visit..

The private clubs would then become the shootiing galleries for the addicts to go to for social interaction in an atmosphere where they can get a fix whenever they need one surrounded by sympathetic noses.
Yeah, well if that's what you're looking for, then open up a club. Now you're just kind of being a judgemental jerk. IMHO a bar owner has his/her own right to decide whether to make an establishment smoking or non. What, are there not enough non-smoking bars to get your drink on for you?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:53 PM

18,123 posts, read 15,512,307 times
Quote:

Hmm, EVERY bar I've ever been into has a BIG sign up that says "We reserve the RIGHT to refuse service to ANYONE". that can include rabid anti smoking folks that have our best interests and the "public good" at the tip of the spear.. I invite you to our local hangout ( The Running Iron) for a beer

Old 12-26-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, well if that's what you're looking for, then open up a club. Now you're just kind of being a judgemental jerk. IMHO a bar owner has his/her own right to decide whether to make an establishment smoking or non. What, are there not enough non-smoking bars to get your drink on for you?
There are legal stipulations which every business owner must follow. You must have access for the handicapped. If you own a restaurant, you cannot store meats unrefrigerated, You cannot store cleaning supplies with food. Warming ovens must be held at certain temperatures to insure bacteria do not grow on the cooked food. You have to have a three-compartment stainless steel sink to wash dishes and the mimnimum water temperature is specified. There are hundreds more regulations which must be followed if the business owner wishes to stay in business.

If you own a bar and serve someone who in suspected of being legally drunk, you may be liable. There are test cases now in the courts where bars have been sued for letting a patron leave drunk knowing he was intending to drive home.

You are very entitled to your opinion, but it may or may not fit the legalities of business ownership.

My opinion is still that the health, safety, and comfort of the general public comes first in licensing any business that is open to the public.

And yes, I am a judgemental jerk. You say that like it's a bad thing.

Ain't opinions wonderful?

Old 12-26-2008, 01:02 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,721,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I would be happy if they just stop producing cigarettes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
While they are at it they should stop producing automobiles and fast food. Both are just as bad for you.
Decongestants make my heart race, so they should stop producing those as well.

Oh, and I know a few folks who drink too much. No more alcohol either.

On the actual subject at hand, I think that the owner(s) of the establishment should have the option to decide whether they want to have a smoking or non-smoking restaurant, bar, or whatever. Customers can then decide which they choose to frequent. Problem solved.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I am an ex-smoker for nearly 20 years and a recovering alcoholic who has not had a drink in almost 23 years.

Most restaurants here have bars, and smoke drifts throughout the establishment if smoking is permitted, so I cannot go out to many places to eat.

I will be happy when there is no more smoking allowed in any building open to the public.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:08 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,721,253 times
Quote:
I am an ex-smoker for nearly 20 years and a recovering alcoholic who has not had a drink in almost 23 years.

Most restaurants here have bars, and smoke drifts throughout the establishment if smoking is permitted, so I cannot go out to many places to eat.

I will be happy when there is no more smoking allowed in any building open to the public.
So then you get YOUR way at the expense of others who may not feel the same way as you do. Why are their opinions any less valuable?

I'm not a smoker myself now, but I smoked for years. However, I am not opposed to owners of any establishment being able to set those parameters for themselves. The government should not have the ability to set those bans themselves. I'm sure that there are enough non-smokers and smokers to keep both in business and they, being the public, should be given the option to choose.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
There are legal stipulations which every business owner must follow. You must have access for the handicapped. If you own a restaurant, you cannot store meats unrefrigerated, You cannot store cleaning supplies with food. Warming ovens must be held at certain temperatures to insure bacteria do not grow on the cooked food. You have to have a three-compartment stainless steel sink to wash dishes and the mimnimum water temperature is specified. There are hundreds more regulations which must be followed if the business owner wishes to stay in business.

If you own a bar and serve someone who in suspected of being legally drunk, you may be liable. There are test cases now in the courts where bars have been sued for letting a patron leave drunk knowing he was intending to drive home.

You are very entitled to your opinion, but it may or may not fit the legalities of business ownership.

My opinion is still that the health, safety, and comfort of the general public comes first in licensing any business that is open to the public.

And yes, I am a judgemental jerk. You say that like it's a bad thing.

Ain't opinions wonderful?
This still does not make sense. I'm quite aware of health regulations. However, as we are all aware & why we are arguing on this thread is that as of right now in many areas, smoking in bars is LEGAL.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:

As I've said before, I don't care if a restaurant is non-smoking, that includes if there is a bar inside the restaurant. SURELY you have a plethora of other restaurant options that are non-smoking to choose from. Great you quit, however when I quit I assure you I will not be as judgemental as you have become. You seem to have forgotten that you once smoked....all those people you negatively label "addicts"? You were one & you were one of those people who stunk up the air spewing toxins into the air, like other non-smokers on here have said. So you're not that innocent are you?

Old 12-26-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
As I've said before, I don't care if a restaurant is non-smoking, that includes if there is a bar inside the restaurant. SURELY you have a plethora of other restaurant options that are non-smoking to choose from. Great you quit, however when I quit I assure you I will not be as judgemental as you have become. You seem to have forgotten that you once smoked....all those people you negatively label "addicts"? You were one & you were one of those people who stunk up the air spewing toxins into the air, like other non-smokers on here have said. So you're not that innocent are you?
I quit. Come back when you do and we can revisit this subject again.

But don't wait too long. I'm probably a good bit older than you and all those yars of second-hand smoke may take their toll on me if it takes you as long to quit as it did me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies