Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 01:18 PM

709 posts, read 1,498,332 times

Advertisements

There's nothing wrong with smoking bans in bars - if the bar owner chooses to ban it, as many would to attract the customers who don't like smoking. Then customers and bar employees would have a choice - everybody wins. The same applies to clubs, restaurants, stores, offices, apartments, neighborhood associations, etc, etc, etc. It's the GOVERNMENT smoking bans (and everything else that the government does) that is the problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 01:26 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Yes, well that's an outright as**ole statement & completely uncalled for. I don't think of others as weak willed or drug addicts because of their addictions.
Certainly you are entitled to your opinion, as am I....However my opinion is based on fact.. anyone who engages in a habit that they know is endangering their health and those of their loved ones, a habit that makes them a social outcast, but yet is unable to stop, can only be considered a weak willed, character flawed drug addict.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:28 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Certainly you are entitled to your opinion, as am I....However my opinion is based on fact.. anyone who engages in a habit that they know is endangering their health and those of their loved ones, a habit that makes them a social outcast, but yet is unable to stop, can only be considered a weak willed, character flawed drug addict.
I know plenty who would disagree w/that opinion. I'll also mention that compared to many others who aren't afraid to spout their judgemental rude opinions, I'm better than that.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:32 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,516,684 times
Quote:
One could read any post of yours and conclude that a weak willed and character flawed person wrote it.

I don't smoke, but I bet there are many extremely productive people that do and your comments are contradictory of what a uber-accepting Liberal would say, as you try to portray yourself as.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I know plenty who would disagree w/that opinion. I'll also mention that compared to many others who aren't afraid to spout their judgemental rude opinions, I'm better than that.

There can be no dispute that smoking is an addiction to the drug nicotine. Therefore, smokers are drug addicts.

Millions have quit the habit (including myself) leading one to conclude that those unable to quit harming themselves and others through smoking are weak willed, an obvious character flaw.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
There can be no dispute that smoking is an addiction to the drug nicotine. Therefore, smokers are drug addicts.

Millions have quit the habit (including myself) leading one to conclude that those unable to quit harming themselves and others through smoking are weak willed, an obvious character flaw.
So far, the theory that someone once told me about ex-smokers being the most militant about smoking is correct. Again, you have no idea who I am or what I'm like, you're basing your judgement on the fact that I smoke. Wow, so glad I don't base people's character on certain things they do or don't do, I would never have any friends!

Old 12-26-2008, 01:50 PM

37,168 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
I don't think of others as weak willed or drug addicts because of their addictions.
Ah...

I think you ought to reread this sentence you just posted.

Downright Orwellian.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Ah...

I think you ought to reread this sentence you just posted.

Downright Orwellian.
Really? Because I'm not judging people based on the fact that they smoke?

Old 12-26-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
So far, the theory that someone once told me about ex-smokers being the most militant about smoking is correct. Again, you have no idea who I am or what I'm like, you're basing your judgement on the fact that I smoke. Wow, so glad I don't base people's character on certain things they do or don't do, I would never have any friends!

Up till now, I've stated nothing but facts. However, I will offer this opinion....anyone that purposely buys carcinogens to inhale has a problem.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:05 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I don't have a problem with smoking in bars. I have never gone into a bar because of health concerns and I don't know of anybody else that goes into a bar for thei health.
To me it's like going to a fast food restaurant and expecting a healthy meal.
You can get a healthy meal at a fast food restaurant as many have salads and other items for the health conscious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies