Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:25 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,492 times

Advertisements

People are moving more because of the high cost of housing in blue states, not usually high taxes. Usually density causes people to be more liberal, in the rural states people arent exposed to as many differences that question their opinions.

The blue states tend be more dense, higher housing demand and more land constraints then the red states which are usually more rural, have much more land to built on and have much less housing demand.

I am sure Boston and Seattle are not losing sleep because everybody is going pack up and move to Fort Worth, Texas but wait any one here live in Boston or Fort Worth by chance? I know for a fact Boston and Seattle has lower property tax rates then Fort Worth. I guess Republican Texas no income taxes look nice but the burden has been sent over to the property tax bills.

I think Republicans at the national level are different then at the state level.
Nationally they are more libertarian, but at the state and local levels they can compete with each other on spending.

Besides I am sure even though Kentucky votes Republican at the national level, they are Democratic at the local and state level.

Alot of times Democrats at the local and state can be more competitive even if its a Republican city, county, state. Democrats when elected in heavily Republican states tend to try to compete with Republicans on taxes because of the stigma of them being tax and spenders.

Nebraska is a Republican State (3rd most red behind Utah and Idaho) and has very high tax rates. 6.87% income tax after 26,000 (income taxes start at a much lower level and lower rate), most city and state combos have a 7% sales tax and property tax rate of up to 2,363 per 100,000 dollars in one Republican Omaha suburb, if you have a brand new 3 bedroom 2,500 square foot house in the Omaha area its gonna likely be more then 6,000 dollars in property tax. Also dont forget the wheel tax and property taxes on cars in Nebraska also! If your a tourist in Omaha dont forget to add on that 16% hotel tax

Utah also isnt chincy on taxes either! They are a high tax state also! As Republican as it gets also.

North Dakota is another Republican State, Republicans control the legislature and property tax rates are in excess of 2,000 dollars per 100,000 property value. Democratic St. Paul, Minnesota is half that rate.

If you look the per-capita incomes and wages per job they are the highest in blue states (MA, NY, NJ) and lower in red states (UT, ID, TX)

Last edited by MattDen; 02-26-2007 at 05:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 02:32 AM

702 posts, read 2,524,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
flea flea the democrates and run to the republacants!
Man, you used my word before I got here! As I was reading the thread titles and saw this one, 'Republicants' immediately popped up in my mind. That's a cute word that needs to be used during the next election.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:32 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,112 times
I just don't think they would be happy here. It is too hot, people too simple, no culture, and there are scorpions, spiders and palmetto bugs! They will attack. So just pass us by...

Old 05-28-2007, 08:18 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,468,828 times
I started plans years ago to just flee to Canada and get out of this whole mess altogether.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:54 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,136,874 times
It is amazing how partisan and simple minded some threads are.

And this on a site about relocating... the bigger American cities, particularly the older ones of the Northeast and the big West Coast ones are very expensive places to buy a home. Period.

Have you compared homes prices of DC.NYC/Boston/San Diego/LA/SF/Seattle with Louisville? Even Dallas and Atlanta are bargains.

We're talking differences of hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies