Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what state is the most liberal?
Vermont 13 23.21%
California 24 42.86%
Massachusetts 22 39.29%
New Hampshire 1 1.79%
Connecticut 4 7.14%
Rhode Island 5 8.93%
Washington 2 3.57%
Pennsylvania 2 3.57%
Oregon 5 8.93%
Florida 0 0%
Nevada 0 0%
Colorado 0 0%
South Carolina 0 0%
North Carolina 1 1.79%
Virgina 0 0%
West Virgina 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

Oklahoma is the most liberal state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 7,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Oklahoma is the most liberal state.
oklahoma !!!!!!!!!!! Buckle in the Bible Belt is liberal?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:16 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyruspk View Post
oklahoma !!!!!!!!!!! Buckle in the Bible Belt is liberal?
Don't be fooled, never traverse the pan handle at night.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
When I lived in Texas, I thought I was a liberal but when I moved to California, I realized I wasn't.
It all depends on your perspective I suppose. People called me a left wingnut for supporting Reagan. A lot of my peers considered him a RINO (Republican in name only) but voted for him because he wasn't as far out in left field as Carter. Many Californians tend to think Reagan was as far to the right as you can get. Somebody once said, "A California Democrat and a Georgia Democrat are two different animals."

There doesn't seem to be really clear line as to what is liberal and what isn't so this is a tough question to answer. I gave up on both the liberals and the conservatives and now lean toward the the anarchist side of Libertarian. I'm still young enough to wish for idealistic solutions but old enough to know it'll never happen so I'm caught in the middle.

Our leaders all seem adept at screwing everything up. Though I didn't support Clinton at the time, he was actually a pretty good president. Not for his work but for his lack of work. He was quite busy entertaining himself and didn't have a lot of time to actually run the country. Oddly when there was no one at the steering wheel, everything was fine but every time he did something job related, it was a disaster. The events of the past two weeks shows that every time they (both liberal and conservative) try to fix something, they only make it worse.

I digress. To answer the original question, I'd have to say that though CA is generally pretty liberal, it does seem to be getting a bit more conservative in many areas.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:22 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Wow... Massachusetts is liberal? Weren't they trying to not pay state income tax? I guess liberals really want to take everyone as long as its NOT THEIR MONEY that is being used to do it... funny...

Old 10-08-2008, 11:23 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
I think it is a bit misleading to limit it to states, that is why I like to look at counties and demographics to understand liberal and conservative voting patterns.
If you look at Washington State most counties vote republican except for the few on the west side that have all the state's population.
States back east might be easier to weigh because they are smaller and not as diverse geographically.
Here in Idaho on the map it is a solid red state... because the population is evenly distributed for the most part into 3 very different area's. Eastern Idaho is very mormon and reflects much of the same opinions as Utah, North Idaho is extremely libertarian almost militant about it as well. Boise however is very moderate and leaning more and more liberal. State population is around 1.5 million people and only 600,000 live in the boise metro area. Thing is boise is one of the fastest growing metro's in the country and as the city grows it is leaning more and more liberal. My point is, that the state's population is relatively small, but as boise grows its going to increasingly swing the state electorial vote blue, much in the same way seattle and portland swing their states blue.
I think its really funny, that even the state government in idaho is almost all republican except for representatives from boise who are almost all blue. Because the state Government is RED they have changed boundaries to hinder the blue vote. The state is split in two districts that vote for US senators and strangly enough the STATE boundary cuts down the middle of the state and then zags over to boise and splits the city of boise in half. Anyone with any common sense can see that splitting the blue vote in half limits their weight against the red of the rest of the state. Our system is screwed up and is not reflective of what really is the opinion of the people. Just as how eastern washington gets trumphed by seattle the urban center... In idaho.. the urban center gets split up so that the rural can trumph them. I don't know if it exists so much back east because like I said the states are much smaller and more similar in geographic area's. But out west its very different and I think many area's voices are not properly heard because of the politics of the system..

Old 10-08-2008, 12:36 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
how was new jersey left off this list it probably should be close to number 1

Old 10-08-2008, 12:49 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The most conspicuous absence on this list of states would be New York.
Outside of NYC metro, alot of NY State is actually pretty conservative.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:30 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,995 times
Vermont has some of the least restrictive gun laws in the country.

Not that it's a bad thing , just different from most other states that are often considered to be liberal.

The tax structure is another situation.

Last edited by gbear48; 10-08-2008 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-10-2008, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,286 times
i think red satats cant be liberal at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies