Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think has the highest chance of becoming president?
A Woman 27 52.94%
A Minority (AA, Hispanic, Asian, etc.) 22 43.14%
A Homosexual 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,942 times

Advertisements

There was something missing from the poll choices:

d) Anyone whose name isn't "George W. Bush."

Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
There currently isn't and will never be a gay candidate who will run with views that I believe in: Anit-abortion, anti-gay marriage (destruction of the American FAMILY), pro-death penalty, etc. I'm very conservative and would only support a candidate that is also. Show me a gay candidate that stands against gay marriage, against abortion and for the death penalty and I might be willing to hear them out.

There's no "fear" on my part.
There was once a very strongly patriotic Briton named Noel Coward. He made movies, and numerous personal appearances for the troops on behalf of the British during WWII.

There was once another guy, name of Alan Turing. I don't know how patriotic he was, but he was a very great genius who cracked the German "Enigma" code, saving the lives of countless Allied servicemen.

The first didn't care to advertise his tastes. The second's taste came out by accident, and he committed suicide, largely because of the compulsory "treatment" he was forced to undergo.

I dunno what a "conservative" is, but if I was somebody who didn't have to die bobbing up and down in the North Atlantic amid burning diesel fuel, I don't think I'd care whether the guy who kept me from that fate was a "poofter" or not.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
thats nice, and based on peoples choice. If I didnt know I wouldnt care, thats why we have dont ask dont tell laws in military

Old 03-01-2007, 10:18 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
You can be angry, mhouse2001. But it's just the way it is. America isn't ready for a gay to hold the highest office in the world!

Look at the poll results - only TWO (2) people say they would vote for a gay. That speaks volumes, considering that the majority of the posters here claim to be liberal. A woman, yes. A minority, yes. A gay, no.
I'd vote for a gay candidate in a minute. I just don't think there will be an openly gay US president for some time. However an openly gay governor or US Senator will assuredly happen within the next few years somewhere, considering that there have been a number of openly gay Congressmen and mayors, some representing rather conservative districts.

Think of it this way: the first African American congressmen were elected during Reconstruction, in the late 1860s - this was followed by a period of 30 years when there were no African-Americans in Congress (1898-1928), then A-A Congressmen were elected again, yet it took until the 1970s for the first African American to be elected to the Senate (Edward Brooke of Mass.), and it took until the 1980s for the first African American to be elected governor of a state (Doug Wilder of Virginia), and it is only now that there is a serious African American presidential candidate who is considered electable (Sen. Obama).

Following this pattern, there will be open gays moving into higher office eventually, it's just a matter of time.

My answer was based on who is likely to be electable right now. I see Obama as being more electable than any female and/or gay candidate.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:25 PM

Jeb Bush

or a Jewish President I am ready for

or hispanic or

Italian

Old 03-02-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Jeb Bush

or a Jewish President I am ready for

or hispanic or

Italian
I would probably not vote for anyone with the last name "Bush", and if they had an (R) after their name definitely not.

Would you vote for a Buddhist or Hindu for president? Or an atheist?

Old 03-02-2007, 03:34 PM

no dont think i would vote for anyone buddhist, hindu and definitely no one who is athiest, anymore than liberals who want to vote for Bush or an (R).

Old 03-02-2007, 03:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
Im ready to move as far away as possible so I dont have to focus on this stuff in my face all of the time. Im so tired. So many different people's opinions that dont match. The growth in the US is stagnating in many parts of the country because of outsourcing and illegal immigration. Its all because of this global agenda. The US is going backwards to level the playing field. Now home prices have risen so high the next generation is going to have a really tough time on their hands. I would take whatever job if I could just get away to a not so crowded place, with some diversity(I dont want to be a minority though I get uncomfortable), and natural beauty.

I just want to get away from it all. I would just move to some small mountain town and try to fix up some cheap house no one wants because of poor jobs. Im not concerned with jobs so much. I would just try to find a third shift job or a labor job. I could do that all my life if I could just have some peace someplace. Realistically how many people can even travel this country anymore to see other places? Not only that but it takes both parents working ands you have to find time for the kids when you're dead tired. Good luck finding time for anything else and still beign a good parent.

If I didnt know better I would just load up on drugs and try to forget it all. The wars, the US, the politics, the jobs, the houses. Maybe someday ill find a place thats beautiful and comfortable. Maybe Boise? Maybe Portland(I already have depression)? Maybe even Alaska(yea right)?

When we start looking to a president because of their sexual preference or some of the other ideas thrown around I just want to find some hole in the ground to go to. So much crap. Not enough emphasis on healthier minds and lives. Not enough emphasis on natural beauty and affordability. This American is ready for a change of life altogether. Im not happy with either political party or the worlds ideas.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
no dont think i would vote for anyone buddhist, hindu and definitely no one who is athiest, anymore than liberals who want to vote for Bush or an (R).
I've voted for (R)'s before in state and local elections. I'd never vote (R) for president considering who the GOP has run since I've been able to vote.

I would vote for anyone who was well qualified regardless of their religion, gender, race, etc.

But here's a question for you: would you vote for a Muslim before you'd vote for an atheist, in an election in which there were no other candidates?

Old 03-02-2007, 04:35 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
No candidates seems to be what its all about these days. They all have the same globalizing vision and come from the same fraternities. Behind the scenes transformtion. Sublymenol bombardment through movies, games, and media. Its all about Imperial culturalism. Imperial corporations. Forcing ideas on others. There are ways all of the problems that the world faces could be handled without selling out for a utopia that will not work in the end. The end game is control and power. Lower standards. More sheeple. Less originality. Less identity. Sovereign laws being overidden by a global laws. Its like we're going inot the industrial age of human expendability where cost outweighs benefit. One minute its all good and thriving, the next its decaying away and stagnating. Then a new alternativ to the assembliny line pops up. Complete government dominace over unhappy people where only certain locations are any good anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies