Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is America, as a whole, an uniformed mass who clings to popular opinion?
Yes... 10 90.91%
No... 1 9.09%
Not sure.... 0 0%
Don't care either way.... 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:45 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times

Advertisements

In light of discussion of the auto industry, i've had an epiphany of sorts....

Are Americans really that uninformed or just lazy to put the boots on the ground to gather evidence? Do we, as a whole, like to cling to popular opinon?

All the misleading stories on MSM is truly frightening, makes me wonder exactly how many times i've been on that misleading end. I personally will never, ever see the "news" in the same light again.

So much so, 95% of what takes place here on the P&OC thread would fit neatly into the category of "clinging to popular opinion".

Please chime in with your perspectives and opinions on the matter!

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 12-04-2008 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: spelling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 11:03 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,527 times
Yes I agree that Americans essentially believe in / and follow popular opinion and whatever the culture dictates ; it is a 'feeling' oriented society instead of 'a truth-seeking and abiding' society . Some of the trademarks of this current Post Modernist society are Tolerance to immorality (which is really Apathy) and Entitlement (which is really Arrogance via hedonistic pursuit). Its the same for the general populus as well as Corporate America --- closely linked to the twisting of ones Rights and Freedoms for the MO of Selfish gain . It can come in the form of the Big 3 AutoMakers, the Mortgage Industry collapse , or, the liberty of a 'mother' to have her own developing flesh and blood sucked into a nearby sink , occuring 4000 times/daily, while she reads the latest issue of Cosmopolitan magazine.

Its called the moral-implosion of America , and its still in its infancy.

Regards.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,373 times
I talk to these uninformed people everyday. The ones that think Obama will raise their taxes, yet they don't have the slightest possibility of ever making enough money. The ones that think the Democrats are going to come knocking on their door and take their guns away. The ones that think diversity means their religion will be gone. The ones that say marriage needs to be protected by stopping gay marriage. The ones that are against abortion to save life, but for endless wars and the death penalty. The ones that think Sean Hannity isn't playing them for the complete morons they are. The ones that think Rush is right, when Rush is just rich and thinks they are all baffoons. The ones that think Obama is a terrorist or Muslim, or a spy. And finally, the ones that think Bush has been a good president.

God bless them, their simple, mindless little hearts.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:47 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
I think Americans, as a whole, don't like to think for themselves.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:25 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
Yes we do cling to "popular opinion", yet we do nothing to change it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies