U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Missouri
3,641 posts, read 2,751,010 times
Reputation: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I find it both strange a bit amusing the way that "Welfare" gets bandied about on this and other sites. Welfare or more appropriately Aid To Dependent Children went out of existence more than 12 years ago, when Congress and the Clinton administration signed into law the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act which limits benefits to 2 consecutive years and no more than 5 years over a lifetime.
Probably because it still exists in other forms. It would be nice when people make posts like yours that they would also know the facts. Welfare now has all sorts of different names to go by. I am assuming that you don't know much about SSI. which happens to be permanent welfare, only it is under the construct of social security. You would be surprised at all of the people that get SSI checks. The people that collect SSI happen to be people who do not qualify for SSDI or SS and it happens to include lots of people who ran out their 5 year term for regular welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 12-05-2008, 06:54 AM
 
8,193 posts, read 7,147,382 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree, but do you notice that those who scream about the poor scamming the government (for a tiny tiny fraction of what banking institutions did or what the Iraqi war did) never will acknowledge giving free UNearned money to FAILED companies and their executives as WELFARE!????
Wtf? That you would make such a comment shows that you have not been reading any threads about the bailouts. Either that or you ignore posts that may conflict with your preconcieved notions about people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 06:59 AM
 
19,178 posts, read 18,240,376 times
Reputation: 3883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Probably because it still exists in other forms. It would be nice when people make posts like yours that they would also know the facts. Welfare now has all sorts of different names to go by. I am assuming that you don't know much about SSI. which happens to be permanent welfare, only it is under the construct of social security. You would be surprised at all of the people that get SSI checks. The people that collect SSI happen to be people who do not qualify for SSDI or SS and it happens to include lots of people who ran out their 5 year term for regular welfare.
Qualifications for SSI...
1. Aged 65 or over, or blind, or disabled.
2. Has limited income, and limited resources, and is a US citizen.
3. Must apply first for any other benefits entitled to.

PS. SSI is not at all a part of Social Security. It is an entirely separate program funded by general revenues that is administered by the Social Security Administration so as to avoid duplication of resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Status: "Abstaining from arguing with the right for Lent" (set 27 days ago)
 
30,777 posts, read 15,328,851 times
Reputation: 13372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Probably because it still exists in other forms. It would be nice when people make posts like yours that they would also know the facts. Welfare now has all sorts of different names to go by. I am assuming that you don't know much about SSI. which happens to be permanent welfare, only it is under the construct of social security. You would be surprised at all of the people that get SSI checks. The people that collect SSI happen to be people who do not qualify for SSDI or SS and it happens to include lots of people who ran out their 5 year term for regular welfare.
Actually, I am more than familiar with the various, social welfare programs, SSI being just one. However the most common misconception as most of the comments here about demonstrate are with regard to what was once referred to as AFDC.

Anyway...

Currently there are a total of 7 million receiving SSI of that just over a 1 million are under 18 years of age, and 2 million over the age of 65. Of those between those ages they receive on average a whopping $492.20 per month. Even for a single adult, that grand total of $5,906.40 is half of what the US government considers to be the poverty line. Frankly if a person needs to cheat just to double their yearly income so that they can be just a little less poor... heh!

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quick...stat_snapshot/

Oh, and by the way, during the wellfare reforms of 1976 whole categories of SSI recipients were eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Missouri
3,641 posts, read 2,751,010 times
Reputation: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Qualifications for SSI...
1. Aged 65 or over, or blind, or disabled.
2. Has limited income, and limited resources, and is a US citizen.
3. Must apply first for any other benefits entitled to.
You just showed that you nothing at all about SSI.

SSI is not social security. SSDI is social security disability and SSI is social security disability when on does not meet the qualifications for SSDI. It has nothing to do with being 65 or just blind, but any kind of disability, like mental illnesses. You might want to know what you post about before posting half-assed inforamtion because you are wrong.

Here read this and then you can post with some knowledge.

Understanding Supplemental Security Income (SSI)-- SSI Eligibility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 07:08 AM
 
8,193 posts, read 7,147,382 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, at the moment I don't have family or friends whom I know to be on public assistance. Of course, where I live, people don't seem to go around boasting of how well they are doing thanks to being on public assistance. My area appears to differ from yours in that regard. Neither do I have an inclination to make up stories about how my wife's hairdresser is a chain-smoking illegal immigrant who uses food stamps to buy her cigarettes in order to put some sort of phony authenticity behind my statements. The facts are the facts, regardless of my personal acquaintances or whether I live in a tower or not. You have not been dealing with those facts. Period.
Are you calling me a liar? My MIL is a hell of a lot different then my hairdressers cousins neighbor. Nor do I live in a slum.
The truth is simply this......I know people from all walks of life, from very rich to very poor. I know people who are in prison and I know people who get awards for their community envolvement. I know people who work for the system and I know people who scam it. I volunteer, I get out of my house and out of my neighborhood. I know people of many different races, religions and ethnicities. I am not scared of people who are different them me. I am also not scared of admitting that there are failures within a system meant to help people, and that by pointing it out may make some people assume I a racist, bigot, and/or a liar. Because we don't ever say anything to make people 'feel bad' about their choices, now do we?
Bottom line, if you insist in denying that fraud exists that is your (narrow) perogative. I just wonder what is in it for you to whitewash a broken system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Missouri
3,641 posts, read 2,751,010 times
Reputation: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Actually, I am more than familiar with the various, social welfare programs, SSI being just one. However the most common misconception as most of the comments here about demonstrate are with regard to what was once referred to as AFDC.

Anyway...

Currently there are a total of 7 million receiving SSI of that just over a 1 million are under 18 years of age, and 2 million over the age of 65. Of those between those ages they receive on average a whopping $492.20 per month. Even for a single adult, that grand total of $5,906.40 is half of what the US government considers to be the poverty line. Frankly if a person needs to cheat just to double their yearly income so that they can be just a little less poor... heh!

Monthly Statistical Snapshot, October 2008

Oh, and by the way, during the wellfare reforms of 1976 whole categories of SSI recipients were eliminated.
I will tell you one thing for sure, and this I know for a fact. Many people who were collecting welfare are now collecting SSI. This I know because of family that work for different states and work for the social security part. YES, many people are collecting SSI that should not, but many now are. It just happens to be FACT!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 07:37 AM
 
1,486 posts, read 830,465 times
Reputation: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
My very disillusioned niece quit after 15 years as a case worker.
She said at least 80% of the recipients handled in her county perpetrated some amount of fraud but the budget for investigation and enforcement is so low there is little to no reason to do other than close your eyes and just process the paperwork in any other than the most obvious (easy to prove) cases.
The most common is to have unreported income producing person(s) living in your subsidized household, most often the daddy of ones latest baby.....or next one.

You last sentance pinpoints one of the huge problems with our current system. Mothers are encouraged to break up the family unit.

Either kick out the father or lose your benifits.

Liberals.... gotta love em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 07:40 AM
 
1,486 posts, read 830,465 times
Reputation: 919
It comes down to this for me.

If you are a healthy able bodied adult you can work. If you refuse then you can starve to death. The hate and discust I feel towards these lazy scammers that milk the system has no bounds.

Cut off their benifits and soon enough they will start working.

We also need to start carrying out public hangings of those caught scamming the public. Swing the welfare cheat right next to the Enron executive. Do em both as an example. I'm just sick of getting cheated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 12-05-2008, 08:15 AM
 
Location: NY & Fl
9,958 posts, read 6,073,888 times
Reputation: 7556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't know where your niece worked but most municipal housing authorities have their own dedicated police departments with nothing else to do but to investigate and enforce rules and regulations of the clients. One of my former clients was the Philadelphia Housing Authority and I can guarantee that there were quite a few evictions due to violations. Even minor infractions of Housing authority rules can restrict a clients ability to move into better facilities so folks don't tend to take the rules lightly.

Which brings up an small nagging point regarding your narrative. Housing authorities are run on a city or county basis, these are not Federally run programs, but the Fed is quite interested in how their money is used by these local agencies. I can assure you that if 80% of the clients in her county were living in Federally subsidized housing fraudulently, the Dept of Housing and Urban Affairs has no shortage when it comes to investigating such wide spread fraud.
Sorry.....I used 'subsidized household' which is so close to 'subsidized housing ' that you misinterpreted my remark.
Not having the statisics to back it up, but by knowing the area, I think it is safe for me to say that there are many more in private units under the voucher program than in the sparse HUD complexes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top