Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:37 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,081,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I said that people other than older people were getting SSI. Are you sure that you have reading comprehension? I know all about SS, SSI and SSDI. I know the difference and I know for a fact that many people scam the system and get SSI, which happens to be a lifetime welfare program, for the most part. Do you also realize that it is very easy to get SSI? There are also many people who scam SSDI and get it when they shouldn't? Are you calling me a liar? My opinions are not at odds at all with SS. I know this because many years ago I actually worked for SS and doled out the money.

And therein lies the rub. MANY YEARS AGO the system was VERY different than it is now. I do agree that MANY YEARS AGO we went through a brief period when SSI was fairly new and was abused quite a bit. HOWEVER, that has changed drastically and now it is actually very difficult for even those truly in need of SSI to get it. There must be multiple examinations and documentation and regular reporting, etc. What I see now is people being driven into absolute poverty trying to take care of grown children with multiple physical and/or mental problems. They know full well that these children can never take care of themselves and they are trying desperately to get a situation in place where the children will get the help they need before they are no longer able to care for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 10:42 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,910,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Easy when you don't have to pay all of that.. the money you collect under the table or from a legitimate job goes to your Plasma TV and nice home... I once knew several families who qualified for all that.. they day they left, they had a brand new Mercedes and a $500k home that was fully furnished with new stuff... strange how several years of "non-welfare" made them incredibly rich... its all about hiding your money so that the government thinks you are poor...
That happens to be done all of the time in this country. It is called scamming the system. The bad thing is that the damn rich people get their own kind of welfare. We, the taxpayers pay for both kinds of welfare, to the poor and to the rich. I would much rather have my tax money going to the poorer than to the rich, if it has to be done in the first place.

The thing that bugs me is that so many people really and honestly think that we should have to pay anything to the majority of the supposed "poor" people in the first place. My mother did not get WIC or any other handout and was able to raise her six children just fine. So did most families back before all of the feebies and handouts from the government. Maybe if we didn't give the handouts the young girls would not be having so many babies out of wedlock and would realize that they have to take care of their own offspring.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
And therein lies the rub. MANY YEARS AGO the system was VERY different than it is now. I do agree that MANY YEARS AGO we went through a brief period when SSI was fairly new and was abused quite a bit. HOWEVER, that has changed drastically and now it is actually very difficult for even those truly in need of SSI to get it. There must be multiple examinations and documentation and regular reporting, etc. What I see now is people being driven into absolute poverty trying to take care of grown children with multiple physical and/or mental problems. They know full well that these children can never take care of themselves and they are trying desperately to get a situation in place where the children will get the help they need before they are no longer able to care for them.
Actually, it is only hard to get for the people who truly need and deserve it. It is not hard for the people who scam the system. One goes to a paid off doctor and then they are in like Flynn. It is all done all of the time and I know this for a fact.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:54 AM

305 posts, read 803,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post

I've tried to get SSI a couple times and got denied each time. I have a speech impediment, which is classified as a disability by the ADA and I have Sickle Cell Beta Thallesmia which isn't a disability but limits physical activity.

Both times SSI told me I'm not disabled and I'm capable of working, I tried to tell them that I work but mostly lower paying jobs but they don't buy it.

It's very difficult to get SSI unless you are over 65 and can give them proof that you're disabled to a point in which is hampers your ability to get a job.

Those guys are very strict, LML is right on this one.

Also, they will send you to see a psychologist and also see a doctor for a blood test, check up and everything.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,172,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
It comes down to this for me.

If you are a healthy able bodied adult you can work. If you refuse then you can starve to death. The hate and discust I feel towards these lazy scammers that milk the system has no bounds.

Cut off their benifits and soon enough they will start working.

We also need to start carrying out public hangings of those caught scamming the public. Swing the welfare cheat right next to the Enron executive. Do em both as an example. I'm just sick of getting cheated.
Another compassionate conservative heard from...

Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
I've tried to get SSI a couple times and got denied each time. I have a speech impediment, which is classified as a disability by the ADA and I have Sickle Cell Beta Thallesmia which isn't a disability but limits physical activity.

Both times SSI told me I'm not disabled and I'm capable of working, I tried to tell them that I work but mostly lower paying jobs but they don't buy it.

It's very difficult to get SSI unless you are over 65 and can give them proof that you're disabled to a point in which is hampers your ability to get a job.

Those guys are very strict, LML is right on this one.

Also, they will send you to see a psychologist and also see a doctor for a blood test, check up and everything.
Just because you didn't or don't know how or just don't scam the system doesn't mean others are the same as you. In fact, plenty people scam the system and always will. They are very strict but there are always loopholes for people to use. This I tell you because this I know for a fact from working within SS and doling out the money. LML is not completely right, just as you are not completely right about this.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,172,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
That happens to be done all of the time in this country. It is called scamming the system. The bad thing is that the damn rich people get their own kind of welfare. We, the taxpayers pay for both kinds of welfare, to the poor and to the rich. I would much rather have my tax money going to the poorer than to the rich, if it has to be done in the first place.

The thing that bugs me is that so many people really and honestly think that we should have to pay anything to the majority of the supposed "poor" people in the first place. My mother did not get WIC or any other handout and was able to raise her six children just fine. So did most families back before all of the feebies and handouts from the government. Maybe if we didn't give the handouts the young girls would not be having so many babies out of wedlock and would realize that they have to take care of their own offspring.
Why is it always the GIRLS not taking care of these babies. If she is on welfare I would assume the DADDY is not paying his child support.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Another compassionate conservative heard from...
No, just someone eho happens to be sick of our tax dollars being given to cheaters from both sides of the aisle. I agree that it is time to start taking action against any and all scammers, no matter they be rich or supposedly poor.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Why is is always the GIRLS not taking care of these babies. If she is on welfare I would assume the DADDY is not paying his child support.
You are right and that "father" should be having his money taken away to pay for said baby, that is if he is indeed the father. This is done in many states but many fathers are able to get jobs paying cash and therefor, have no money for the state or the federal government to get. BTW, the girl has an option of abortion too. At least, that is what all of the liberals have seen to in this country so the girl has options also.

Last edited by Anonymous Political Junky; 12-05-2008 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,223,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I agree, but do you notice that those who scream about the poor scamming the government (for a tiny tiny fraction of what banking institutions did or what the Iraqi war did) never will acknowledge giving free UNearned money to FAILED companies and their executives as WELFARE!????
Hard to figure out the twisted right wing mind isn't it? Spending trillions$$$ of tax payer dollars killing hundreds of thousands who did nothing to us (a welfare program for the military) and bankrupting the country in the process is ok, billions in corporate welfare (Oh, sorry I mean subsidies) is ok but a few crack moms and they start foaming at the mouth and blowing a gasket and demanding that children, the elderly and infirmed be thrown out in the streets. Those compassionate conservatives have a heart of gold. Sure there's corruption everywhere. So let's fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies