Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 10:29 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sunday, December 07, 2008
WASHINGTON -- Reactionary liberalism, the ideology of many Democrats, holds that inconvenient rights, such as secret ballots in unionization elections, should be repealed; that existing failures, such as GM, should be preserved; and, with special perversity, that repealed mistakes, such as the "fairness doctrine," should be repeated.

And these worrywarts say the proliferation of radio, cable, satellite broadcasting and Internet choices allows people to choose their own universe of commentary, which takes us far from the good old days when everyone had the communitarian delight of gathering around the cozy campfire of the NBC-ABC-CBS oligopoly. Being a liberal is exhausting when you must simultaneously argue for illiberal policies on the basis of dangerous scarcity and menacing abundance.
In other words, if it ain't broke, by all means, fix it.

George Will : Reactionary Liberals Assault the Media - Townhall.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:33 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
George Will is a modern Goebbels ("reactionary liberal" would've made Goebbels beam) and a bootlicker who makes a handsome living by cleverly supporting the interests of the wealthy and powerful. That takes little courage.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Doesn't he know that the reactionary liberals ARE the media?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:32 AM

387 posts, read 677,739 times
Randomly throwing negative adjectives before the word "liberal" as a substitute for actually making a good point or proposing a fresh idea is so 2002.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:06 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,052 times
Love it how the liberals get needled here with someone's opinion. Goebbels, yeah, right. Truth is a dog, ain't it?

Old 12-07-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Love it how the liberals get needled here with someone's opinion. Goebbels, yeah, right. Truth is a dog, ain't it?

Goebbels was one of the most persausive conservatives of modern times. I'm surprised modern right wingers don't admire him (or admit to it), he was very intelligent and clever and had the courage of his convictions. Unlike Will whom I doubt has the courage to put a pistol to his head or stand by anything other than his own pocketbook.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:29 PM

72 posts, read 94,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
George Will is a modern Goebbels ("reactionary liberal" would've made Goebbels beam) and a bootlicker who makes a handsome living by cleverly supporting the interests of the wealthy and powerful. That takes little courage.
Wow, I think just the opposite. Limp-wristed "conservatives" like George Will are worthless. All that guy has done is put on a bow-tie, write little columns, lose, conserve nothing, then merely redraw a new line in the sand, and write more limp-wristed articles trying to defend that new line.

You couldn't even possibly compare the two men.

You're totally right, Will is just a boot-licker. Irishtom, your second post made far more sense than the first. The Left in this country has far more balls than the "right" or the "conservatives"......think also of that wimpish guy, "Rich Lowry". My God, the Right is doomed with guys like that involved.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgordon1 View Post
Wow, I think just the opposite. Limp-wristed "conservatives" like George Will are worthless. All that guy has done is put on a bow-tie, write little columns, lose, conserve nothing, then merely redraw a new line in the sand, and write more limp-wristed articles trying to defend that new line.

You couldn't even possibly compare the two men.

You're totally right, Will is just a boot-licker. Irishtom, your second post made far more sense than the first. The Left in this country has far more balls than the "right" or the "conservatives"......think also of that wimpish guy, "Rich Lowry". My God, the Right is doomed with guys like that involved.

Good post JP; threw me a curve, made me think and gave me a laugh too. Excellent.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
I laughed when I read Will's column earlier tonight. Typical of the right wing J-Holes; no issue to discuss, "I know, I'll just make one up". The only ones talking about reinstating the Fairness Doctrine are the RIGHT WING.

And of course he has to confirm Mark Twain (ne Samuel Clements) regarding statistics. What difference does it make how many "radio stations" there are when Clear Channel owns so many of them, and so many in each market?

And his argument regarding "The New York Times" is equally flawed. Does this idiot not know that the "airwaves" are public, while "newsprint" is not? Of course to admit the truth would mean having to leave out a pithy little line (which I'm sure will be echoed by the entire right wing over the coming weeks) no one there ever has an original thought. And it would collapse one of the (arthritic) legs of his argument.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies