Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
You're absolutely right. In our modern world, where any and every form of contraception is readily available, there SHOULD be virtually no call for abortion. It is NOT impossible to NOT get pregnant.

I've been married for 25 years, and my wife & I have 3 kids. What that means is that we've had sex a heckuva lotta times without it resulting in pregnancy. How have we done it? Simple. We used contraceptives, and about 10 years ago I got a vasectomy.

It's not very hard to keep from getting pregnant. Unfortunately, most abortions are nothing more than post-conception birth control. And that shouldn't be.
And what about the man who has a vasectomy, but still manages to get his partner pregnant? Happens, you know.

And what about the woman who gets her tubes tied, and still gets pregnant. That happens, too.

When someone has used contraceptives properly, has taken all the steps to prevent pregnancy, but they don't always work 100% of the time, do those people get a pass? If you knew you weren't in a position to raise any more children, and behaved responsibly, is it okay to have an abortion, then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 02:56 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,217,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And what about the man who has a vasectomy, but still manages to get his partner pregnant? Happens, you know.

And what about the woman who gets her tubes tied, and still gets pregnant. That happens, too.

When someone has used contraceptives properly, has taken all the steps to prevent pregnancy, but they don't always work 100% of the time, do those people get a pass? If you knew you weren't in a position to raise any more children, and behaved responsibly, is it okay to have an abortion, then?
Yes, I know that post-vasectomy/ligation pregnancies happen. But they are EXTREMELY rare. And had my wife & I had a post-vas pregnancy, we would have done the responsible thing and brought our baby to term. We would have been "new parents" after 40. It wouldn't have been our first choice, but we would gladly have raised the child we "accidentally" conceived.

My point is, and remains, that the vast, vast majority of people who get abortions are doing so out of convenience. Nothing more.

I think it also needs to be noted that there really are consequences to our choices - sex included. Putting any and every moral argument regarding sex aside, the FACT is that the possibility of pregnancy is a consequence of having intercourse. Maybe the people who absolutely refuse to accept the possibility of raising a child should make sure they don't "make" a child.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know that post-vasectomy/ligation pregnancies happen. But they are EXTREMELY rare. And had my wife & I had a post-vas pregnancy, we would have done the responsible thing and brought our baby to term. We would have been "new parents" after 40. It wouldn't have been our first choice, but we would gladly have raised the child we "accidentally" conceived.

My point is, and remains, that the vast, vast majority of people who get abortions are doing so out of convenience. Nothing more.

I think it also needs to be noted that there really are consequences to our choices - sex included. Putting any and every moral argument regarding sex aside, the FACT is that the possibility of pregnancy is a consequence of having intercourse. Maybe the people who absolutely refuse to accept the possibility of raising a child should make sure they don't "make" a child.
Your point is that in your opinion the majority of people who are getting abortions are doing so out of convenience. What you might consider an inconvenience might be life-altering to some people. In fact, having a baby is ALWAYS life-altering. It's great that you would have the means and ability to raise a child in a secure, loving home if you "accidentally" became pregnant. Not everyone does. Not everyone has the means to be pregnant, to go to a doctor for pre-natal care, to take off from work to give birth. These might seem like minor inconveniences to you. To some people having a job is the difference between having dinner tonight or going hungry. A lot of the women who get pregnant don't have salary jobs, they work by the hour. They don't have employers who are willing to adjust schedules or make allowances for pregnancies. They don't have insurance.

It's safe to make judgment on people you don't know, judgments that will have no real bearing on your own life. But the fact of the matter is that no one thinks abortions are a great form of birth control. Using contraceptives is cheaper, easier and far more convenient than trying to get an abortion. No one aspires to getting an abortion. Having an abortion isn't a wonderful experience. Pregnancy isn't always a wonderful experience. I know women who've lost their jobs because they were single and got pregnant and their employer didn't approve. I know women who've been beaten up by boyfriends because they got pregnant and the boyfriend didn't want the baby. I know women who's careers have been de-railed by pregnancy. But I'm sure you'd be willing to live in your car and bring a baby into that environment rather than have an abortion. Because sometimes that's just the responsible choice, right?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,834,667 times
Quote:
So abortion needs to remain legal and available because too many people are stupid and/or selfish?
And the other option is to let these stupid, selfish people continue to push out children that they will use as leverage and treat as objects until those children are lucky enough to become wards of the state and sit in foster care or group homes? Then be pushed out into the street at 18 years old with no preparation to be well adjusted, functioning adults?

Then what do we get? For the most part, more of the same irresponsible reproductive behavior, criminals and a strain on our social services system.

Honestly, I think abortions should be provided free to people who are not capable of taking care of a child. And there should be a requirement that following that abortion they must have a shot to prevent another pregnancy for a period of time.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,633,906 times
[quote=pirate girl;6506508]And the other option is to let these stupid, selfish people continue to push out children that they will use as leverage and treat as objects until those children are lucky enough to become wards of the state and sit in foster care or group homes? Then be pushed out into the street at 18 years old with no preparation to be well adjusted, functioning adults?

Then what do we get? For the most part, more of the same irresponsible reproductive behavior, criminals and a strain on our social services system.

Honestly, I think abortions should be provided free to people who are not capable of taking care of a child. And there should be a requirement that following that abortion they must have a shot to prevent another pregnancy for a period of time.[/quote]

I back you 100% on that one!
I wish we could eradicate abortion completely, unfortunately there is no way to do that. But, we can make abortion as rare as possible, and the best route to that end would be birth control.....and yes, even though it sounds bad I do believe that women who are going in for multiple abortions should be forced to either become sterilized or be on depo provera or birth control similiar to that. Putting all arguments aside about when a fetus becomes a life worth protecting, it is to the womans physical benefit not to undergo multiple abortions.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:40 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,722,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Well, it does need to be said that noone should adopt to prove a political point. Adoption should be from the heart and a true desire to add to ones family. If someone is adopting to show the world how nice they are, how religious, how prolife, how not racist etc... they are adopting for all the wrong reasons.
Agree, adoption should be from the heart. Can not the same thing be said about parenting? The decision to have a child should be from the heart and a true desire to add to one's family, not as a result of an unwanted, unplanned pregnancy.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:45 PM

Also, it's not necessarily irresponsible behavior to have an unwanted pregnancy. 53% of the women who have an unwanted pregnancy were using contraceptives.

Contraceptive Effectiveness

Moreover, the perception that failed vasectomies or failed tubal ligations are extremely rare depends on what you consider rare. First, the science is coming out that after having a vasectomy the risk during the first six months is significantly higher than previously thought. Moreover, time heals all wounds. That is to say that the failure rate of vasectomies actually approaches 10%. Tubal ligations in a study published this year shows a failure rate of over 5%. I don't put that in the "extremely rare" category.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Also, it's not necessarily irresponsible behavior to have an unwanted pregnancy. 53% of the women who have an unwanted pregnancy were using contraceptives.

Contraceptive Effectiveness

Moreover, the perception that failed vasectomies or failed tubal ligations are extremely rare depends on what you consider rare. First, the science is coming out that after having a vasectomy the risk during the first six months is significantly higher than previously thought. Moreover, time heals all wounds. That is to say that the failure rate of vasectomies actually approaches 10%. Tubal ligations in a study published this year shows a failure rate of over 5%. I don't put that in the "extremely rare" category.
If 53% of the women who have had abortions had been using contraceptives....well, that leaves quite a few who weren't.
That type of irresponsibility, or wishful thinking (it won't happen to me) or even more peversely the old 'if I'm on the pill, he might think I'm cheap' thought process is what contributes to many abortions. Of the women that I know who had abortions, one kept sleeping with her ex without contraceptives because she didn't want to appear like she was 'expecting it'. How incredibly lame is that? And she was college educated to boot! It is that type of thinking that women need to get away from to help prevent them from being in the position of needing/wanting an abortion. Of course accidents happen....but it's when accidents happen a lot that they turn into a choice. And not a good one, either.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:09 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Agree, adoption should be from the heart. Can not the same thing be said about parenting? The decision to have a child should be from the heart and a true desire to add to one's family, not as a result of an unwanted, unplanned pregnancy.
Yes, and this is why some people should plan to place their baby for adoption.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Absolutely.....that is why sex should not be something done so cavalierly. There can be consequences that a person is not ready for, including pregnancy but also diseases and yes...heartbreak. In my utopian world, people would have sex that are ready for it and all of the possibilities surrounding it -- meaning no 13 year olds! But, I'm not god (alas ) and we have what we have.
I do believe that adoption should be a better option, but many girls think that people would look down on them for giving a child for adoption as opposed to aborting or keeping it. And that is ****ed up logic. How to solve that, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies