Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:04 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Attitude, body language, way you dress, and the way you speak goes a long way in the interview. If you go into an interview with a bad attitude like the world is against you because of the color of your skin and you aren't going to take crap from anybody then kiss your job prospects good-bye. You could be the best person for the job but if your attitude puts the interviewer on the defensive then your out of a job. What you choose as your major goes a long way in deciding whether or not you have a viable career right out of college. Someone mentioned hotel management degree. Big whoop. You went to college to learn how to manage a hotel. There are people your age who started working in the hotel industry at the bottom and worked their butt off to go up and up in salary and job position. If given the choice between a recent college grad who knows nothing about the hotel or the various jobs performed within the hotel or an employee who worked his/her way up all those various jobs and has already proven to be a reliable responsible worker then the grad better apply elsewhere. One thing I've come across with some grads is they seem to expect to get a good paying job right out of college with no real experience in their field of study outside the classroom. Newsflash,...what goes on in the classroom doesn't happen in the real world. First thing you have to do is remake yourself and your image. You have to sell yourself to your interviewer and don't use your degree to try to force the door open for yourself. Don't be so proud that you aren't willing to take lower position jobs in order to get inside the company and then work your way up the ladder. Doing so will earn the respect of others in the company more so than your degree. And don't start working at a company and get that "smart ass" attitude thinking you're smarter than your co-workers or boss because you have a degree and they don't. Experience in life and on the job count more than your degree and just because they didn't attend college doesn't mean you're smarter than they are. There are a great many filthy rich company execs who never got a college degree who managed to start their own company and run it successfully without that degree so check your attitude at the door.
All of that means nothing if the interviewer already has preconceived notions about your entire race. And why is it that when a minority who is qualified for a job and doesn't get it, and then complains about it, is told maybe they had an attitude during the interview and it shows?? Who goes into an interview with an attitude??? I can see if during the course of the interview you realize it's not the job you want but still who gives the interviewer an attitude??? I have had several interviewers where I could feel as soon as I walked in the vibe was "what is she doing here?". One giant toy company has nothing but young white women in positions and I swear it doesn't matter if they have never worked more than a summer job during college if they came from the right suburb, upper middle class family, and has a nice wedding ring on her finger before her 25th bday, then she was hired immediately. Thats still not to say if a minority is the hiring manager you will have an easy in because we know the deal and competition is real and some don't want to see others succeed. I have been lucky to get into a company that really believes in diversity. I have never seen such people of all races working in one company. Honestly after I graduated college and the countless interviews that led to no where I was really questioning everything. I could easily walk into a company where there are all white people, but I never walked into a company that had a majority of minorities. Why? because hardly any if any exists. It's sad and I blame the hiring parties. Why go into the interview with preconceived stereotypes??? I think it's sad and you are doing yourself a disservice because there are hardworkers and slackers in every race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,322 times
Quote:
My boss told me that he/she thought the girl didn't have enough knowledge for the job! WTF?! My manager seems--based on his/her words and actions--to know almost nothing about computers; she/he hides from others most of the day and displays incompetence in almost every way shape and fashion. This girl could have been HIS/HER boss, and my manager even had the nerve to say he/she would only hire her as an "entry-level" employee.

They ended up hiring a white young guy with no experience. It seems many US companies don't care if they have the best and brightest work for them, as long as they can give another white guy a big salary. We currently have a white guy consultant who works off-site who got a tiny project that this girl could have completed in a month. Well, he has taken 3 months and the end is nowhere in sight!
The brightest managers/directors would hire based on experience and ability, and not on race. So it's ok. This type of companies are doomed to fail. Karma exists.

Also, if you're having a problem with finding a job because there are too many Caucasians professionals w/o experience, why not move to L.A., where Caucasians are almost minority? We will then see if it's really the "minority" problem, or it's just you.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I really doubt that the rate is 3% as many wall street and financial lay-offs have occurred. Construction works are very Mobile and they move with the jobs and there are currently alot of industrial construction in many areas. There is also alot of hurricane related for those in residential and commercial. Manufacturing has been slowing for decades now.In the end I really think that unemployment for professionals is just starting as seen by the layoff numbers that are published.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:08 PM

65 posts, read 160,021 times
white privilege?
No, it's called hard work.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:27 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
The brightest managers/directors would hire based on experience and ability, and not on race. So it's ok. This type of companies are doomed to fail. Karma exists.

Also, if you're having a problem with finding a job because there are too many Caucasians professionals w/o experience, why not move to L.A., where Caucasians are almost minority? We will then see if it's really the "minority" problem, or it's just you.
Arigato gozaima*****a for the invite, Rei-shi!

Well, I actually like my job a lot, but I feel bad when I see bullpoo like that. Luckily most of my coworkers are wonderful and I have a NEW boss! I had to kiss the other one goodbye. If I have to be a wage slave, I need to at least serve a decent master I also am underpaid and I normally have an easy time finding employment (thank God as my husband says).

Well, maybe we will move to the west coast soon. I have a couple of friends in California, so it might be nice. Well, I think the big difference is that white people are in charge of a lot of companies. I can pretty much guarantee that my people would do the same thing. But then I would benefit, so there would be no problem If I had my own company and made a lot of $, there just MIGHT be an inordinate number of black women in the office. LOL.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:52 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopblock View Post
white privilege?
Yeah, sure...

At Synchro Start - they asked, - would I consider an engineering position? - I said yes. And I graduated from the 6th best college in the nation for an undergrad BSME. But I didn't know Proengineer so they didn't switch me to that position. Then they hire a good looking white guy - WHO KNOWS NO PROENGINEER TOO - and they train him I see him fiddling time learning how to animate stuff in Proengineer. Yeah, he sure fit the "white boys club." So did the Quality Manager who had an unrelated Chemical Engineering degree. I had qualifications busting out for my Sr Tech Writer position but they got rid off me because I was too good! I was recommending better ways of documentation, and my improvements and revisions on current documentation - implied that the past work was very bad and who managed that was bad - and this embarrassed the Boss so he got rid off me. Yeah, there is lots of white privilage, and of course you white guys will deny it but secretly support it. Oh, it's hard to get or keep a job with a "white boys club" too.

Yeah, there definitely are white guys better than me, but there definitely are lots of situations where I'm better than a white guy too.

I never got any job where if I had to work a CAD system I didn't know or never had training on ... - I never got the job. Then at Platt Luggage they hire a white guy who knows absolutely nothing about Autocad, - and I had to train him. Bigger bull**** - they withheld training me calculations for foam / suitcase modeling but they train the new white guy for this. Months later this white guy brags he's gonna be a boss over me, despite my seniority. And then he starts setting me up and coniving me to look bad by leaving project suitcases on the plant floor and the Vice Pres accuses me of being sloppy and messy doing that. When I was hired I was their first engineer and did such good design work that I got lots of orders and they hired this 2nd engineer. Oh, I get fired after a year after some situation. Maybe 6 years later I pay the company a visit and discover they are back down to 1 engineer. - I guess they miss my good work! And I improved the prototype construction process to take from maybe 1 to 3 days to just like 4 hours. The white General Manager who only had 3 years college discredited my innovation and said it existed before; ok, - why didn't he suggest and implement it? They wanted to prevent me getting a salary raise from my pathetic $25,000 / year [back in 1995]

My CAD Boss at Int Jensen and MPC Products - both no college degree.

SO yeah, - tons of white privilage and no hard work! I just accept I can't do much about it.

And I'm not a white guy hater either. I just gotta say this stuff happens!

Last edited by Jesse69; 12-26-2008 at 08:01 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 08:48 PM

65 posts, read 160,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Yeah, sure...

At Synchro Start - they asked, - would I consider an engineering position? - I said yes. And I graduated from the 6th best college in the nation for an undergrad BSME. But I didn't know Proengineer so they didn't switch me to that position. Then they hire a good looking white guy - WHO KNOWS NO PROENGINEER TOO - and they train him I see him fiddling time learning how to animate stuff in Proengineer. Yeah, he sure fit the "white boys club." So did the Quality Manager who had an unrelated Chemical Engineering degree. I had qualifications busting out for my Sr Tech Writer position but they got rid off me because I was too good! I was recommending better ways of documentation, and my improvements and revisions on current documentation - implied that the past work was very bad and who managed that was bad - and this embarrassed the Boss so he got rid off me. Yeah, there is lots of white privilage, and of course you white guys will deny it but secretly support it. Oh, it's hard to get or keep a job with a "white boys club" too.

Yeah, there definitely are white guys better than me, but there definitely are lots of situations where I'm better than a white guy too.

I never got any job where if I had to work a CAD system I didn't know or never had training on ... - I never got the job. Then at Platt Luggage they hire a white guy who knows absolutely nothing about Autocad, - and I had to train him. Bigger bull**** - they withheld training me calculations for foam / suitcase modeling but they train the new white guy for this. Months later this white guy brags he's gonna be a boss over me, despite my seniority. And then he starts setting me up and coniving me to look bad by leaving project suitcases on the plant floor and the Vice Pres accuses me of being sloppy and messy doing that. When I was hired I was their first engineer and did such good design work that I got lots of orders and they hired this 2nd engineer. Oh, I get fired after a year after some situation. Maybe 6 years later I pay the company a visit and discover they are back down to 1 engineer. - I guess they miss my good work! And I improved the prototype construction process to take from maybe 1 to 3 days to just like 4 hours. The white General Manager who only had 3 years college discredited my innovation and said it existed before; ok, - why didn't he suggest and implement it? They wanted to prevent me getting a salary raise from my pathetic $25,000 / year [back in 1995]

My CAD Boss at Int Jensen and MPC Products - both no college degree.

SO yeah, - tons of white privilage and no hard work! I just accept I can't do much about it.

And I'm not a white guy hater either. I just gotta say this stuff happens!
And now I'll add, bad attitude.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:23 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
I've seen plenty of people enter a job interview with an attitude. They may not be aware they are giving off an attitude but it does show to an interviewer. Dressing in dark greys or black clothing is a negative. It's like a wall put up between yourself and the interviewer. Dress in light colors will put the interviewer more at ease. Walking into the interview with a strut could imply to the interviewer that you're from the street. Even a little cocky head tilt to the side or looking at the interviewer out of the corner of your eyes will put them on the defensive. Everything you've said here says to me you already have the attitude that you're failing because of the white man and not because of anything you may or may not have done. Cut the crap. There are job assistance classes that help with interviews. In one class I attended they asked that you show up ready to do a job interview. They video taped each interview. The next day they sit down with you and replay the video to show what you did wrong and right and how to correct your mistakes. You'd be surprised what your body language can tell an interviewer. So quit blaming everyone else and start correcting any mistakes you're making on the interview or resume.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:50 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I've seen plenty of people enter a job interview with an attitude. They may not be aware they are giving off an attitude but it does show to an interviewer. Dressing in dark greys or black clothing is a negative. It's like a wall put up between yourself and the interviewer. Dress in light colors will put the interviewer more at ease. Walking into the interview with a strut could imply to the interviewer that you're from the street. Even a little cocky head tilt to the side or looking at the interviewer out of the corner of your eyes will put them on the defensive. Everything you've said here says to me you already have the attitude that you're failing because of the white man and not because of anything you may or may not have done. Cut the crap. There are job assistance classes that help with interviews. In one class I attended they asked that you show up ready to do a job interview. They video taped each interview. The next day they sit down with you and replay the video to show what you did wrong and right and how to correct your mistakes. You'd be surprised what your body language can tell an interviewer. So quit blaming everyone else and start correcting any mistakes you're making on the interview or resume.
There is a Korean saying "you can't spit in a smiling face."
Until black women rule the world I will have to deal with this BS.
Well, white man can be pretty nice if you don't get in their way. I'm just glad I have a freaking job. ;P

Old 12-26-2008, 11:13 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Try moving to Atlanta, GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies