Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:03 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Oh, and if I had said I wanted to move to an area that was almost all white you'd be calling me a racist. But it's not racist for you to say the reverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:25 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I've seen plenty of people enter a job interview with an attitude. They may not be aware they are giving off an attitude but it does show to an interviewer. Dressing in dark greys or black clothing is a negative. It's like a wall put up between yourself and the interviewer. Dress in light colors will put the interviewer more at ease. Walking into the interview with a strut could imply to the interviewer that you're from the street. Even a little cocky head tilt to the side or looking at the interviewer out of the corner of your eyes will put them on the defensive. Everything you've said here says to me you already have the attitude that you're failing because of the white man and not because of anything you may or may not have done. Cut the crap. There are job assistance classes that help with interviews. In one class I attended they asked that you show up ready to do a job interview. They video taped each interview. The next day they sit down with you and replay the video to show what you did wrong and right and how to correct your mistakes. You'd be surprised what your body language can tell an interviewer. So quit blaming everyone else and start correcting any mistakes you're making on the interview or resume.
I am not saying you should be cocky with an interviewer but it is my opinion that too many folks have the opposte trouble. They walk in all shy and timid and scared to death to talk on an equal footing with the interviewer or to speak their minds. I am gonna say what I am thinking- especially if they ask me a stupid question.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Try moving to Atlanta, GA
No thanks, dude. I'm far enough south as it is! Not a fan of thuh sauth.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 PM

64 posts, read 314,583 times
Default Keep trying, stop complaining

The woe is me attitude doesn't work. It just sounds bad.
If you are a college educated person of any hue or gender
you can get a job. If it takes a while, it takes a while. Keep
applying, keep interviewing. Keep it moving. In my part of
the country, it seems that asian males are preferred for
jobs over everyone. Even in this environment, a college
educated woman of color such as myself can still get
a good job.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:54 PM

Melody melody melody. .. Being able to get a good job should not stop you from complaining! ;P

Old 12-27-2008, 07:02 PM

638 posts, read 1,917,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_Man View Post
Well i guess im among the 3% college educated white men that are unemployed right now with little prospect of improving my situation. I somehow think its bigger than that right now

Thank you... my husband is one of those 3% right along with you and sadly right now no prospects. Being in IT he was seeing people from overseas coming and filling the jobs in the IT department right along side him so sorry folks it's not white men.. it's RICH white men (you know..the ones that are running our country into the ground).

We were never rich (Middle class) so my husband is getting caught up on people's perception that white males have it easier.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:30 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Well, I can admit companies would rather pay a cheap H1B foreign worker than ANY American, even white people. That's why I hate Caterpiller, hard to get a good permanent white collar engineer job there as they are mostly contract no insurance and lots of H1Bs.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:16 PM

Atlanta is majority black.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Atlanta is majority black.
ooohh. South = no. I also have had enough xenophobia from black Americans, so I just want to live with nice people...
who are not in the south. Sorry man, no hotlanta for me.
Um, I guess this is off topic, though. Why are you trying to get me to move to Atlanta?

Old 12-27-2008, 10:39 PM

This is why. You seem to want to work only with black people so Atlanta would be perfect for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Arigato gozaima*****a for the invite, Rei-shi!

Well, I actually like my job a lot, but I feel bad when I see bullpoo like that. Luckily most of my coworkers are wonderful and I have a NEW boss! I had to kiss the other one goodbye. If I have to be a wage slave, I need to at least serve a decent master I also am underpaid and I normally have an easy time finding employment (thank God as my husband says).

Well, maybe we will move to the west coast soon. I have a couple of friends in California, so it might be nice. Well, I think the big difference is that white people are in charge of a lot of companies. I can pretty much guarantee that my people would do the same thing. But then I would benefit, so there would be no problem If I had my own company and made a lot of $, there just MIGHT be an inordinate number of black women in the office. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies