Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times

Advertisements

Based upon those recommended links, I suppose that I could argue that the US is an abject failure.

Do I need to provide links to sex scandals, procurement misdeeds or public corruption of US officials from the President, the Congress, cabinet members, and various governmental officials?

As for vital UN programs, may I point out:

UNICEF

United Nations Special Commission on Iraq oh where or where did the WMD's go?

United Nations High Commission on Refugees

IAEA - remember where all those WMD went?

UNAIDS

Oh, and by the way, who brokered and oversaw the Iraqi elections?

And in other news;

Under intensive UN mediation, Nigeria and Cameroon sign accord ending border dispute

Colombia, Brazil and the United Nations: is mediation the path to peace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:26 PM

442 posts, read 790,350 times
Ottavio,
As we've seen throughout Iraq, many of these countries don't nessecairly act for the good of the world when they make their decisions. Who has the biggest Iraqi oil interests? France and Russia. What veto-wielding nations put up the most resistance to the 2001 invasion? France and Russia.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIncumbent View Post
Ottavio,
As we've seen throughout Iraq, many of these countries don't nessecairly act for the good of the world when they make their decisions. Who has the biggest Iraqi oil interests? France and Russia. What veto-wielding nations put up the most resistance to the 2001 invasion? France and Russia.
Hmmm.
4,000+ American dead and $400+ billion gone.
In hindsight maybe Saddam could have been better dealt with in other ways.
Clearly the WMD's were ALREADY gone.

Maybe we should have listened to the French and the Russians.

Ken

Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIncumbent View Post
Ottavio,
This assumes that it was in the world's interest to invade Iraq in the first place.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:31 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,330,750 times
Read this piece about hate engendered by the UN "Human Rights" Council. And out tax dollars are paying for it!
Fighting Racism, U.N.-Style - WSJ.com

Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,617,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Based upon those recommended links, I suppose that I could argue that the US is an abject failure.

Do I need to provide links to sex scandals, procurement misdeeds or public corruption of US officials from the President, the Congress, cabinet members, and various governmental officials?

As for vital UN programs, may I point out:

UNICEF

United Nations Special Commission on Iraq oh where or where did the WMD's go?

United Nations High Commission on Refugees

IAEA - remember where all those WMD went?

UNAIDS

Oh, and by the way, who brokered and oversaw the Iraqi elections?

And in other news;

Under intensive UN mediation, Nigeria and Cameroon sign accord ending border dispute

Colombia, Brazil and the United Nations: is mediation the path to peace?
Funny, I thought the OP was about the UN bieng a failure--why are you lumping in US problems?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:13 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This seems to be a recurring theme amongst some, the UN is a failure. Ok, at what? What would have been different had there not been a UN? And of all the programs that the UN operates which ones are failing?

Just curious.

The UN failed few yrs back to stop genocide in Africa . They had the troops there and did not use them. If you dont see that as a failure than you see nothing as a failure.

Thats just one example of the grotesque failure they are regardless of who is in charge.

It is set up to fail and other than food aid here and there which is great they will fail at most tasks and never acheive much .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/714025.stm

Old 12-09-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The UN is a failure because it is no longer a puppet of the US.
That's the REAL argument UN Bashers think but don't dare say.

Ken

Hmm yes lets blame Bush for this -

Comments on UN Corruption

The UN is a disgrace regardless of Clinton or Bush in power. I hope that didnt burst your pc bubble but the link speaks for itself

Old 12-09-2008, 04:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Hmm yes lets blame Bush for this -

Comments on UN Corruption

The UN is a disgrace regardless of Clinton or Bush in power. I hope that didnt burst your pc bubble but the link speaks for itself
WHO said ANYTHING about Bush?

Quit putting words in my mouth.

Ken

Old 12-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
WHO said ANYTHING about Bush?

Quit putting words in my mouth.

Ken

If the shoe fits wear it .
In your case Reps can do no right Dems no wrong and anyone who dare hold a mirror to the UN's face is a rep as far as your thinking goes.

A good Dem would never question the UN now would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies