Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times

Advertisements

There are many threads on this subject, but with today's Illinois arrest, it just makes one wonder. Now, I am a Republican and I voted for McCain, and yes, I was disappointed that McCain/Palin lost, but our nation had won.

No matter how I might disapprove, Obama had won the election. Now, I am beginning to wonder if Mr. Obama will have even a decent chance of being President. I am one who would love to see him achieve greatness as I would hope that every President will always be just a bit better than his/her predecessor.

I am just sick that so many clouds seem to be floating over Mr. Obama's head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:09 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
The "clouds" are empty.

I just ignore the negative threads and comments about Obama. They're mostly meaningless.

It sucks to lose, so I understand the frustration among some who opposed Obama. Most of their comments, however, aren't worth my time.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:12 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
I dunno, I live in a fairly conservative area and the wing nuts on this forum are definitely a minority in the real world.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I dunno, I live in a fairly conservative area and the wing nuts on this forum are definitely a minority in the real world.
I think you're right. It's interesting that so many of them have complained about the number of gay threads, but geez... Take a look at the number of anti-liberal, anti-Obama, anti-Democrat, and anti-gay threads - particularly in the Elections sub-forum. I think they're in the majority here.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Of course Obama will have a chance to be a great President. The Mainstream Media, also known as the Obamedia, is invested in him and will continue to be in the tank for him regardless. They have even admitted they were in the tank for him all along (though they waited until he won to fess up.) The ombudswoman of the Washington Post acknowledged this as did Mark Halperin of Time. The NYT bias goes without saying, but I believe its Ombudsman (Clark Hoyt) denied it. They published an Op Ed from Bill Ayers, but denied the one from McCain.

Many people are very fond of Obama as well and will give him a lot more leeway than they did W. It's going to be hard for him to have a bad rep as long as the Obamedia stays on his side.

Here's a wiki excerpt about Mark Halperin.

On November 21, 2008, at a Politico/USC conference on the 2008 election, Halperin called the election media coverage "the most disgusting failure of people in our business since the Iraq war. It was extreme bias, extreme pro-Obama coverage." [17]

Old 12-09-2008, 08:46 PM

Oh, you poor, poor, conservatives. You're just SO persecuted. If it weren't for the "Mainstream Media", everyone would see the truth. Yes, people like Rush, Laura, Bill, and Sean are really the truth-tellers, aren't they?

Rather than whining about the "liberal media" so much, you might want to focus on getting the moderates of this country back on your side.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM

I'm not complaining about conservatives being persecuted. I was answering Yes to the original question that was asked and offering some insight as to why I felt that way. Media bias is undeniable and anyone who denies it is being dishonest. Most of the people mentioned above are commentators who are not expected to be objective. The problem is that 'journalists' such as Matthews, Olbermann, Maddow and those on CNN (plus print media) are not objective.

If liberal policies work so well, then why are the most liberal states the one with the largest budget deficits and why are all states with budget surpluses solid conservative states?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:30 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I'm not complaining about conservatives being persecuted. I was answering Yes to the original question that was asked and offering some insight as to why I felt that way. Media bias is undeniable and anyone who denies it is being dishonest. Most of the people mentioned above are commentators who are not expected to be objective. The problem is that 'journalists' such as Matthews, Olbermann, Maddow and those on CNN (plus print media) are not objective.

If liberal policies work so well, then why are the most liberal states the one with the largest budget deficits and why are all states with budget surpluses solid conservative states?
You realize the only conservative state that isn't mooching fat federal money from the blue states is Texas right?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post

None of the MSNBC personalities you mentioned claim to be objective.

I don't have an answer for you regarding the state budgets. I just know that I'm not comfortable in a socially conservative place. Financial conservatism I can embrace; social conservatism I cannot.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 AM

I understand the concept of 'fiscally conservative, socially liberal,' but agree with a friend who told me that it is hard to truly balance both. If you're a true social liberal, then you'll be willing (if not eager) to support social programs that cost money. This makes it hard to be a true fiscal conservative, both on the tax side and (more importantly, IMO) the spending side.

IMO, the GOP has done poorly in recent elections not b/c it has gone right-wing, but b/c it has abandoned its conservative principles. Michael Steele said they campaigned as 'Democrat light,' and I agree. Look at spending under W, McC's generous amnesty policy and his support of the bailout.

On the state level, I think it's hard to argue against the principle that smaller government and prudent spending coupled with low taxes lead to success. Many of the states with the largest deficits also have the highest taxes (CA, NY, NJ, etc) and many of the states doing well have lower taxes (ie TX, IN).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies