Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:46 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Can this guy sue the police or not?

EL RENO, Oklahoma -- A local driver ended up on the wrong side of a police taser because a medical condition left him helpless.

El Reno police officers approached a vehicle that had spun-out on the interstate. Inside was a man who they thought was drunk or on drugs.

News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | Police Taze Man During Diabetic Shock (http://www.kwtv.com/Global/story.asp?s=9480686 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
cops, teachers social workers medical people, are held to enormous accountability.
every attempt to do their job is fraught with law suit threat.
the trouble with giving evil a face is the devil is always whoever happens to be standing near by.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
That is the reason for those medical bracelets. This is not the first time a person who is diabetic has ended up without medical help when they needed it and ended up on the wrong side of the law because of symptons. I have read about several other cases during the past years. I remember one that either died or almost died.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:57 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,406 times
The taser is a great tool, but just too many cops are using them too quickly in situations. I'm retired from the job and never had the opportunity to use a taser, but if we would have had them it would have saved quite a few injuries from both sides. Of course, today with the ability to observe and record incidents in real time any use of force gets more scrutiny before all the facts are in.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That is the reason for those medical bracelets. This is not the first time a person who is diabetic has ended up without medical help when they needed it and ended up on the wrong side of the law because of symptons. I have read about several other cases during the past years. I remember one that either died or almost died.
A friend of mine recieved a DUI a couple of weeks ago and was heard asking for help over and over both in the jail and on the cops dashcam...Finally a cop regonized him,knew he was diabetic and called EMS.A lot of cops are pretty stupid jand ump to conclusions WAY to fast.

As for the taser,I think it should be banned from general LEO use.It is being over used by untrained idiots.Let E.R.T.(SWAT),prison guards and court room security use it,but keep it out of the hands of uneducated street cops who abuse it like they do most every other tool they ever get.Until then you'll see thousands of more stories like this every year with a lot of them resulting in death.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
A friend of mine recieved a DUI a couple of weeks ago and was heard asking for help over and over both in the jail and on the cops dashcam...Finally a cop regonized him,knew he was diabetic and called EMS.A lot of cops are pretty stupid jand ump to conclusions WAY to fast.

As for the taser,I think it should be banned from general LEO use.It is being over used by untrained idiots.Let E.R.T.(SWAT),prison guards and court room security use it,but keep it out of the hands of uneducated street cops who abuse it like they do most every other tool they ever get.Until then you'll see thousands of more stories like this every year with a lot of them resulting in death.

I agree it seems tasers are used now for anything. Cops even use them to torture

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
The taser is a great tool, but just too many cops are using them too quickly in situations. I'm retired from the job and never had the opportunity to use a taser, but if we would have had them it would have saved quite a few injuries from both sides. Of course, today with the ability to observe and record incidents in real time any use of force gets more scrutiny before all the facts are in.
I agree with you.When I left law enforcement we had those little hand held outfits that usually just ended up riding in your glove box because everytime we used it it would **** the subject off worse and make them enraged and harder to handle.What happened to just doing your job without all this "urban combat" crap?Wimpier cops perhaps??? That's my vote on it.They need to buck up and do the job like it has been done for eons or go back to work at McDonald's where they came from and let a good cop have the job.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
cops, teachers social workers medical people, are held to enormous accountability.
every attempt to do their job is fraught with law suit threat.
the trouble with giving evil a face is the devil is always whoever happens to be standing near by.

True but some do not do their job ,some are inept ,some are abusive and thus need to be held accountable.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Maybe diabetics and others subject to fainting spells should have the letter D branded into their foreheads. Then even the most testosterone addled, brain dead cop could notice that the victim is not resisting arrest he is unconscious and may be near dying.

So much for frustration. The best answer is better training and supervision. Not likely to happen with our cash starved police departments.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:03 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Just recently on this forum there was the case of the teenager who had a broken back being repeatedly tasered.
I believe that many of the new breed of officer on the street just doesn't have the maturity or wisdom to know when and what level of force to use for different types of individuals and/or situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies