Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:11 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times

Advertisements

Now here is some insult to injury. Can you just get your mind around this one!

Taleban tax: allied supply convoys pay their enemies for safe passage

Taleban tax: allied supply convoys pay their enemies for safe passage - Times Online

Quote:
The West is indirectly funding the insurgency in Afghanistan thanks to a system of payoffs to Taleban commanders who charge protection money to allow convoys of military supplies to reach Nato bases in the south of the country.
Now I realize why US foreign policy seems at times to not make any sense, it is because it isn't foreign policy, its a remake of the three stooges, who by the way, made infinitely more sense.

Pay our enemies to allow shipments of military supplies to pass so that they can then be used against our enemies. Man you can't make this stuff up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 08:55 PM

Looks like someone didn't pay their "protection fee" to our enemies because...

Quote:
Militants torched 25 supplies trucks for Afghanistan-based coalition forces in northwestern Pakistan early Saturday morning.
Militants torch over 20 supplies trucks for Afghanistan-based coalition forces in NW Pakistan_English_Xinhua

I'm waiting for us to try the same strategy we used in Iraq with Sunni war lords and just start putting them on the Uncle Sam payroll.

Maybe we could just give them a box full of Lehman Brothers stock or maybe just let Bernard Madoff manage an IRA for them.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:00 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Maybe we could just give them a box full of Lehman Brothers stock or maybe just let Bernard Madoff manage an IRA for them.

A Taleban tax????
Pretty incredible or shall I say unbelievable!

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-13-2008, 10:00 PM

I had to read it twice as I couldn't believe what I was reading. Whats next, we find Bin Laden staying at the Waldorf Astoria in a room paid for by the CIA? To be discovered in early Jan. 09 with a statement suggesting that we were hiding him from Shiite Mullahs so we could interrogate him in an attempt to find out whether Saddam really did have WMD's.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:01 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
At this point, nothing would surprise me, to be honest !
Our tax money at work...

(don't give them any new ideas though )

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-14-2008, 06:12 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
I just found this clip it is chilling and shows a great deal about this post as well.

YouTube - Talk - Greg Palast - The Best Democracy Money Can Buy

Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Just a tangent, so no one needs to respond but earlier someone posted about Afghanistan not really achieving self-rule because of the series of military actions that have occurred there and contributed to the political instability. And I just thought it was interesting that Poland has a similar history, it's had brief periods of self-rule and been run over militarily for centuries. And Poland's strong attachment to the Catholic Church has helped to preserve the country's sense of identity, to allow it to regain self-rule and some measure of stability. The Taliban is not just a political faction, it's tied to a religious tradition that serves to provide some of Afghanistan's sense of identity. It's part of the Afghani history. We applaud the Catholic Church for it's role in preserving Poland's nationalism, but does the Taliban have a role in preserving Afghanistan's nationalism?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:23 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No on ehas the british foreign secretary including vritain has every had a centrally control governmant in Afganistan. It has always been a local tribe controlled country and is likely to stay the same. Even the Talban only controlled small areas.It makes Iraq look like a cake walk and Is likely to get alot worse when the insurgents can concentrate in that area.We saw that when the russians were there.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:28 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
It is all Rambo's fault. He taught the taliban how to take out the Russians while on horseback and now they are using that expertise against American forces.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 PM

773 posts, read 1,214,893 times
Excellent article from Eric Margolis on this topic.
Eric Margolis (http://www.ericmargolis.com/political_commentaries/time-to-face-facts-in-afghanistan_7.aspx - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies