Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 AM

14 posts, read 17,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I fully understand - I celebrate Christmas as a tradition. I was raised Catholic but am Atheist.

My point is - what's your problem with the town celebrating ALL the winter holidays in one shot? Why does it have to be exclusive to Christmas?

In the town I grew up with, the Knights of Columbus provided and paid for Christmas decorations to be put up. The temple paid for Hanukkah decorations. No problem with that... but the kicking and screaming that there is a "War on Christmas" is crazy. Let respective faiths have their own celebrations - the Government should not be funding them.
Because why celebrate all religions? Celebrating the secular holiday and federal holiday Christmas is not celebrating any religion. It's celebrating santa claus and frosty and rudolph, not Jesus Christ. You are the one who wants to bring religion into this, not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 09:29 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Christmas HA! View Post
Because why celebrate all religions? Celebrating the secular holiday and federal holiday Christmas is not celebrating any religion. It's celebrating santa claus and frosty and rudolph, not Jesus Christ. You are the one who wants to bring religion into this, not me.
Why should any celebration funded by taxpayers be "CHRISTMAS ONLY"?

That is what posters in this thread are outraged about... the fact that the celebration is not named a "CHRISTMAS" celebration.

I don't know the specifics of this celebration besides that there were to be fireworks. A winter celebration with fireworks sounds like it's not celebrating any religion at all, which is perfect in my book.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I understand the history lesson, but I think you need to acknowledge that most americans do not see it that way and celebrate accordingly.
The US Government needs to do a better job of explaining why Christmas is a federal holiday. Aside from that, just because believe perceive something doesn't mean it's reality. Let me ask you this... of all the "Christians" out there in the US, how many celebrate the religious holiday of Christmas? Next, how many celebrate the secular holiday of Christmas? I think the latter % would be significantly greater than the former. Maybe many non-Christians would confuse the two because both holidays, religious and secular go by the same name, but only 20% of the country is non-Christian. Should be mandate policy on the perceptions of 20% of the country? Sorry, that doesn't cut it for me.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 AM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
Quote:
They were talking about Christianity specifically.

Separation of Church and State was not founded by that Supreme Court Ruling a few decades ago, it was first brought up by the court in the 1800's:

Again, why do you insist that the local Government provide the celebration and decorations for YOUR holiday? I could see the outrage if a church wanted to hold a celebration funded by them and were told they could not, but why do you need the Government to do this for you?
Because it is the will of the people. If 70% of a town's residents want a fake Godzilla to sit in the middle of their park, then they should have that right. Why are you so eager to suppress the will of the people?

Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Because it is the will of the people. If 70% of a town's residents want a fake Godzilla to sit in the middle of their park, then they should have that right. Why are you so eager to suppress the will of the people?
How do you know it's the will of the people?

Was there a vote I didn't know about?

So if 70% of people want a fake Godzilla in the park, the town should pay for that Godzilla?

I don't see massive protests happening in Patchougue. I'd guess the majority of people really don't give a crap and don't need the Government involved to celebrate Christmas, and would rather have their tax dollars spent on something productive.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Why should any celebration funded by taxpayers be "CHRISTMAS ONLY"?

That is what posters in this thread are outraged about... the fact that the celebration is not named a "CHRISTMAS" celebration.

I don't know the specifics of this celebration besides that there were to be fireworks. A winter celebration with fireworks sounds like it's not celebrating any religion at all, which is perfect in my book.
The celebrations should be Christmas only because Christmas (the federal holiday) is a non-religious holiday that shares the name with a religious holiday. Why bring religion into the mix?

Old 12-12-2008, 09:46 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post

O Holy Godzilla Joyful and Triumphant.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:

So if 70% of people want a fake Godzilla in the park, the town should pay for that Godzilla?

I don't see massive protests happening in Patchougue. I'd guess the majority of people really don't give a crap and don't need the Government involved to celebrate Christmas, and would rather have their tax dollars spent on something productive.
Forget about what the other guy is debating. The real issue is that Christmas, the federal and secular holiday, is being censored because it shares the same name as a religious holiday. Most people celebrate secular Christmas even though they are Christians. This has only become an issue when close-minded non Christians think Christmas (the religious holiday) is represented with Christmas trees and Santa Claus and Frosty. They are envious and misinformed and thus we have the debate that we do.

I do not believe a cross, a nativity scene, or anything representing religious Christmas should be on government property. BUT, a Christmas tree or wreathe is not the same thing. Neither are religious symbols. Nor is the term Christmas itself in this day and age.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:55 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Quote:

Like abortions!!!! And for someone whom I assume doesn't agree with Billy boys views you sure are up on them. There's a reason why he has a job and is very popular, many many Americans agree with him. Specifically about this. Like I said before the nation was founded by Christians. Why do public schools have off on the Jewish new year? My taxes pay for the schools, what if I don't want my kid to stay home on that day? You hear nothing about that.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:55 AM

54 posts, read 226,446 times
Wow guys lol.. I was just happy that someone stood up for Christmas and it turned into THIS!!

I was just saying that okay.. around thanksgiving.. I'm fine with saying Happy Holidays because it's the holiday season - many holidays about to happen. But like, after thanksgiving is over and Hannukkah is over.. CLEARLY the next holiday is Christmas. December 25th is CHRISTMAS and I just don't know why people have to take that away and call it a "holiday" like it's nothing at all. It's been called Christmas forever. Why does a Christmas parade turn into a "holiday" parade after all those years all of a sudden? Something is wrong there. This is a Christian nation, no matter how many non americans move here. It's what it was built on. Just like the constitution. Are we going to throw the constitution out all of a sudden? Um no.

And to that deadpool man, wow. Christianity needs nothing to survive it speaks for itself.. but people are going to stand up for what they believe in - i'm sure you do the same with whatever it is you believe in or else you couldn't possibly believe in it that much! There is nothing wrong with this. People just need to know that Christmas is obviously about Christ and we need to leave him in it and stop taking away. If you have such a problem, don't celebrate Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies