Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 02:16 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times

Advertisements

Powell is correct. The gop has abandoned its own principles by aligning itself with the Fundamentalist Christian Lobby. Btw, did you know that Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and Joel Olsteen are all christian and all multi millionaires, hmmmm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So? Connections have no relevance to "tokenism". I think you may be unsure of the terminology you emply.
... repeating ... both tokenism and connections give you undue advantages. The implication at one point was that the powers-that-be gave this poor black man a chance to rise because of tokenism and how dare he repay by criticising them - never mind that many white Republicans turned on the Republican party. All I pointed out was W also got to be president because of unfair advantages (like conections).

Last edited by calmdude; 12-16-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 12-16-2008, 02:29 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
If you notice any of MagKm posts they all have the subtle or not so subtle racial animosity.
It tickled me when he used the David Duke White Supremest website to try to show hoards of black men raping white women.
Like others of his ilk on the board, you just have to give him a little bit of sympathy, he justs long for the good old days when the "darkies" knew their place.
What's even more sorrowful is that those of the republican party will call someone a back stabber simply because he came to his senses and realized that right is right and wrong is wrong irregardless of political affiliation.
Now I can't wait for these same people condemning him to condemn Karl Rove, who just admitted on national TV that there WERE NOT WMD's and we would have invaded Iraq no matter what.

Don't you just love Peachytree's Logic, Gen.Powell got everything handed to him because he was black, never able or qualified. Gen.Powell stepped over party lines not because of conscience but because of the secret black agenda to blindly support other unqualified blacks, and everything wrong in the world is because of the blacks.

Listen I don't mind anybody coming over from the Storm front website to visit, but can you leave the sheets and brown shirts at those websites before you visit here.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:43 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachytree View Post
It's Christmas, not x-mas.
You say christmas, I say x-mas. Season's greetings!

Quote:
Santa and the elves aren't real
Says you.

Quote:
and Powell should have kept his racist mouth shut until after Christmas!
Why do you hate our troops, especially right before the holidays?

Old 12-16-2008, 02:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
... repeating ... both tokenism and connections give you undue advantages.
Not so. Tokenism, by definition, is a pejorative term. Its existence confers no advantages; on the contrary, it exposes one's achievements as the result of unfairness.

Quote:
The implication at one point
Whose? Certainly not mine.

Quote:
was that the powers-that-be gave this poor black man a chance to rise because of tokenism and how dare he repay by criticising them -
Again you misuse the term. Tokenism does not imply, as you believe, offering fair opportunities to qualified members of an underrepresented group.

Quote:
All I pointed out was W also got to be president because of unfair advantages (like conections).
Actually, he got to be President becuase he recieved a majority of the electoral votes in 2000 and 2004. To state it once more -- so that it sticks in your mind -- "tokenism" is not synonymous with "unfair advantages" or "connections"; it is, instead, a criticism of cynical attempts to assuage collective guilt by finding and rewarding candidates who belong to a group or class which would not otherwise earn such rewards. Choosing unqualfied members of underrepresented groups would constitute tokenism; choosing unqualified members of a dominant group (like the sons of rich and powerful white men) does not.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:29 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Not so. Tokenism, by definition, is a pejorative term. Its existence confers no advantages; on the contrary, it exposes one's achievements as the result of unfairness.

Whose? Certainly not mine.

Again you misuse the term. Tokenism does not imply, as you believe, offering fair opportunities to qualified members of an underrepresented group.

Actually, he got to be President becuase he recieved a majority of the electoral votes in 2000 and 2004. To state it once more -- so that it sticks in your mind -- "tokenism" is not synonymous with "unfair advantages" or "connections"; it is, instead, a criticism of cynical attempts to assuage collective guilt by finding and rewarding candidates who belong to a group or class which would not otherwise earn such rewards. Choosing unqualfied members of underrepresented groups would constitute tokenism; choosing unqualified members of a dominant group (like the sons of rich and powerful white men) does not.
My last attempt at this:
If I call someone a token, it is negative (as you say) but it also implies that the person is there (or rose up the ranks) because (in this case) he is black. Again, the impliication (maybe not yours) was that Powell the black guy was given the opportunity and he turned around and stabbed the predominantly white Republicans (because of race!). My response was that W would be nothing without his connections - his connections (certainly not GPA) led him to go to college, helped him to get elected etc. Choosing unqualified members of a dominant group is not tokenism (I agree) but if chosen, gets the chosen one unfair advantage. Defining tokenism is not my intent - showing that many people - in the left and right - rise because of "unfair" factors is.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachytree View Post
Oh great, not another "atheist" saying we should dump all Semitic religions (Judaism and Christianity) in the dumpster.

Do atheists prefer Viking deities to Semite ones? for purely aesthetic reasons?
nah, religions are fun! I don't mind religious people, or their holidays but since you seem hellbent on 'correcting' everyone, I figured you could use some correcting as well. Seasons Greetings and Io Saturnalia to you and yours!

Old 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
My last attempt at this:
If I call someone a token, it is negative (as you say) but it also implies that the person is there (or rose up the ranks) because (in this case) he is black. Again, the impliication (maybe not yours) was that Powell the black guy was given the opportunity and he turned around and stabbed the predominantly white Republicans (because of race!). My response was that W would be nothing without his connections - his connections (certainly not GPA) led him to go to college, helped him to get elected etc. Choosing unqualified members of a dominant group is not tokenism (I agree) but if chosen, gets the chosen one unfair advantage. Defining tokenism is not my intent - showing that many people - in the left and right - rise because of "unfair" factors is.
I am reminded of the obeservation that Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did -- but she did it backward, in high heels.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
I find it interesting that those who have chosen to criticize Powell instead of his remarks are remarkable examples of exactly what Powell was talking about. The fact that none of them were able to intelligently challenge Powell's remarks is equally telling of how low the Republican Party has sunk. As a Democrat, the conversation comes as good news because as Powell points out, these sentiments within the Republican Party will insure that the GOP will remain in the political wilderness until saner forces can reclaim the helm of the conservative movement.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 PM

147 posts, read 91,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Powell is correct. The gop has abandoned its own principles by aligning itself with the Fundamentalist Christian Lobby. Btw, did you know that Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and Joel Olsteen are all christian and all multi millionaires, hmmmm?
Are you nuts? The GOP has abandoned its own principles by abandoning the US Constitution and aligning itself with Neocon war-mongering Jews, and abandoning the White people of America to pander to LaRaza racists.

It has nothing to do with "Joel Osteen".

PS Having back-stabbers like Colin Powell in the party didn't help either. The GOP's affirm-action pandering (Condi Rice) didn't pay them any dividends either as the Black race's voting bloc was solidly against the GOP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies