Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:40 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

The addiction may be a medical condition, but their choice to use the illegal drugs was a personal decision that should never have been made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 07:47 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
For the entire 8 years of President Bush's time in office, people who don't like him have constantly remarked on message boards about him snorting cocaine. Even the comedy "Family Guy" brought this up in one episode. I have to wonder if they'll be just as insulting on the subject when Senator Obama becomes president since he's admitted to using crack cocaine and other drugs or will they treat that as a hands off subject since it's a president they like?

How long after he moves into the White House will he be on the roof with Willie Nelson toking on a joint?
Will the new Presidential Seal be the hot end of a crack pipe?
Will he live out his favorite scene from Scarface by pouring cocaine out onto his desk and burying his face in it following a meeting with the ambassador from Columbia?
Smokem peace pipe will have new meaning when he becomes president.
Columbia will become our new favorite trading partner.
Clinton and Bush broke that ground so it is not as new a thing as it was then. Also as the olduns die off the younguns become more plentiful and are not as impacted by the topic.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:49 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
I can honestly say I never used illegal drugs (not even pot) in my entire life and I was born in 1969. I had the displeasure of watching my uncles getting high on acid, pot, and things I couldn't identify. They each had career building skills but their drug and alcohol addiction led them down a bad road. One of the two is now clean and sober, though he still smokes cigarettes, and has been employed for the past 10 years. His brother hasn't quit. He just quit trying to quit and his family has given up on him. His liver and other organs are slowly failing. We're just waiting for him to die. After watching them ruin their life, I learned not to make the same mistake.
Thats good, and my brother took a similar approach with smoking and drinking after living with a chain smoking, alcoholic father. I rarely drink and never smoke but have nothing against ANYONE who has experimented with drugs. Pot smokers dont beat their wives, drive recklessly or alot of other things alcoholics do. Recreational and social experimentation? Big deal.

I prefer my President to have done these things, maybe they wont be out of touch and want marijuana users arrested, clogging up jails with them beside violent criminals, only hurting them and the rest of society in the end. We need to be realistic and the failed "war on drugs" has turned Colombia (note correct spelling) has been about making money for the DEA. The end result of their government policies has turned that nation into a rogue and violent narco terrorist state, like Afghanistan. No denying that the U.S. government can use the "war on drugs" in both countries to justify alot of things. The rest of that hemisphere does not trust Colombia, and crimes in other countries nearby often originates there.
Colombia has government thugs killing people like labor rights activists and civil rights activists. If this country becomes even anything like that country you can kiss America goodbye.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:50 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
The addiction may be a medical condition, but their choice to use the illegal drugs was a personal decision that should never have been made.

Between pot and alcohol it's the legal one that is physically addictive and has the greater potential for physical harm. It's also the one with the stronger, better financed lobby.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 AM

Before anyone tries illegal drugs they don't know ahead of time if they will become addicted (genetics plays a part in this) so it is wrong to even try illegal drugs. Saw a guy at my school who nearly died when he took a hit of acid and jumped over a balcony at the school. Party drugs like X are so questionable as to be deadly dangerous to even attempt.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:11 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,146 times
Marijuana is not physically addictive. It is not a chemical and in fact was smoked by indians for centuries before the white man discovered it as a way to get stoned........

I would never compare pot to Acid or Cocaine- those are highly addictive, debilitating, deadly drugs.

Has anyone ever heard of a person overdosing on pot? Probably not.

But I do know of people who have OD on alcohol and chemical drugs.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:19 AM

THC, the chemical in marijuana, can be addictive for some people,...though not as much as other drugs. The complacent attitute towards pot is what has led to people doing dangerous things while under the influence; like driving, hunting, or operating heavy equipment. Of all the illegal drugs, I agree that this is the least harmful and should be legal for medical use and it's cousin, industrial grade hemp, should be allowed as a cash crop for rope and other products like our country's economy was founded upon. But it was crack cocaine, not pot, that Senator Obama admitted using, though pot may have been a drug he tried.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:24 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,398 times
The difference is that Obama was upfront about it (in his book) from the beginning. If Bush had just come out and admitted it instead of stonewalling it wouldn't have been a big deal.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:24 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
What's the source on crack use? "Blow" is what's mentioned in the book...

Old 12-14-2008, 08:29 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
THC, the chemical in marijuana, can be addictive for some people,...though not as much as other drugs. The complacent attitute towards pot is what has led to people doing dangerous things while under the influence; like driving, hunting, or operating heavy equipment.
Ummm.........yea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies