Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
If he would have done it to Saddam, he would have been publicly beheaded.

Maybe you should go try to throw some shoes at leaders. Try throwing one at Than Shwe. Let us know how that turns out for you.
Does anyone know what happened to the reporter that threw the shoe?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the reporter that threw the shoe?
As of about 1/2 hour ago, I understand he's in jail....AND that he has quite an enthusiastic following of well-wishers on the 'outside', demanding his release. Apparently he's a minor celebrity in Iraq (as well as, apparently, here).

Old 12-15-2008, 10:36 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Silver lining of reading 25 pages of childish provocations; updated ignore list.
Those who kept humor-- glad you're around. Thirty some odd days left to see if another shoe falls. Nyuk nyuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Thousands of Iraqis have demanded the release of a local TV reporter who threw his shoes at US President George W Bush at a Baghdad news conference.
Crowds gathered in Baghdad's Sadr City district, calling for "hero" Muntadar al-Zaidi to be freed from custody. There were similar scenes in Najaf.
Officials at the Iraqi-owned TV station, al-Baghdadiya, also called for the release of their journalist.
BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | Iraq rally for Bush shoe attacker
I think this is symptomatic of what can be expected from people who presume freedom means no responsibility. Note Cairo referencing 'freedom of expression'. Compare this with the behavior of home grown wingnuts in this thread. Same difference.

Farce from day one. We're 'liberating' people who aren't willing to define, defend, or maintain that right. Compare our founders pledging their lives and fortunes for the birth of a nation, and see how far removed our own citizenry has become. I don't believe democracy can survive in Iraq given the arrogant example we've set these past 8 yrs.

I agree with Luiso. I'll add that we'll be blamed for their misery indefinitely for our wrongful involvement in their civil war.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:45 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Ah yes. "Winning the hearts and minds."

Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I agree with Luiso. I'll add that we'll be blamed for their misery indefinitely for our wrongful involvement in their civil war.
I agree....win, lose, draw, or 'slink away', whatever else happens, you can rest assured that whatever goes wrong in Iraq, for the next two generations, will be blamed by SOMEONE on what America "did".....and we knew this going in...or we should have.

Personally, as I've stated before, I admit to being guilty of believing there were WMD's hidden away, that Saddam was ready and willing to use them to incinerate the whole region, and that after years of fruitless negotiations, there was a perfectly respectable need for SOMEONE to go in and 'take him out' before he blew up the whole neighborhood. We had every right to believe that, just as he had every opportunity to convince us otherwise, and he did not.

So if you're going to 'take out' a madman, by all means do so. Get in, do what must be done, and get out...But 'spreading democracy'? Social engineering? Sorry, that's not our job, nor is it possible to change a culture from the outside. Democracy will arrive in Iraq when the Iraqis want it...not at the point of a gun, from an army of foreigners.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:32 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Civilian casualties occur in every war. It's sad for sure but it's a fact. And I guess we should just ignore the part about Saddam committing genocide in his own country (although that's definitely on us for putting him in power in the first place). As for the terrorists, I'm referring to the Iranian-funded Al-Qaeda and other insurgents. Of course, maybe we should just let them take over? I'm sure that wouldn't come back to bite us in the ass the same way installing Saddam as dictator in the first place did...
Al-Qaeda and other insurgents were not in Iraq until Bush "The Decider Guy" was told to invade and illegaly occupy this sovereign nation. As for the "other insurgents" I think that we would have our own insurgents right here in the USA if some other invader overstayed their welcome.

"A stark assessment of terrorism trends by American intelligence agencies has found that the American invasion and occupation of Iraq has helped spawn a new generation of Islamic radicalism and that the overall terrorist threat has grown since the Sept. 11 attacks".

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/wo...rror.html?_r=1

Old 12-15-2008, 11:32 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree....win, lose, draw, or 'slink away', whatever else happens, you can rest assured that whatever goes wrong in Iraq, for the next two generations, will be blamed by SOMEONE on what America "did".....and we knew this going in...or we should have.

Personally, as I've stated before, I admit to being guilty of believing there were WMD's hidden away, that Saddam was ready and willing to use them to incinerate the whole region, and that after years of fruitless negotiations, there was a perfectly respectable need for SOMEONE to go in and 'take him out' before he blew up the whole neighborhood. We had every right to believe that, just as he had every opportunity to convince us otherwise, and he did not.

So if you're going to 'take out' a madman, by all means do so. Get in, do what must be done, and get out...But 'spreading democracy'? Social engineering? Sorry, that's not our job, nor is it possible to change a culture from the outside. Democracy will arrive in Iraq when the Iraqis want it...not at the point of a gun, from an army of foreigners.
Brings little rewards for what some of us said back then , including myself . An to my right wing friends , with whom I argued till I was blue in the face , those days leading up to the invasion, I told you so.........Not one has changed his or her mind , not one is sorry , not one sees things any different now , than then. It will have to be left to history to judge , a sad era of American politics.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savimbi View Post
I am shocked that peacefull democrats are so violent and seem to encourage and support violence.

Oh well so much for the lie they portray
And Bush is Ghandi? This psychopathic, delusional excuse for a man deserves to rot in jail for the rest of his disgusting life along with Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rove, Rice and the rest of their vermin cronies.

The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder

Last edited by sickofnyc; 12-15-2008 at 12:31 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 11:55 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I wonder if the Iraqi police put the boots to this wack job? Lets be real here. The Iraqi people require a strong US presence at least for the mean time. This dolt obviously is shy a few screws. Give Bush credit for an older guy he moved pretty good. Ted Kennedy would have taken the hit for sure. Whales tend to flounder on land.
In all seriousness the act was childish and all it really did was to make the guy look like an idiot. No doubt he took a good beating for his actions.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I wonder if the Iraqi police put the boots to this wack job? Lets be real here. The Iraqi people require a strong US presence at least for the mean time. This dolt obviously is shy a few screws. Give Bush credit for an older guy he moved pretty good. Ted Kennedy would have taken the hit for sure. Whales tend to flounder on land.
In all seriousness the act was childish and all it really did was to make the guy look like an idiot. No doubt he took a good beating for his actions.
It looks just about as childish as the shoe bomber. But if he had succeeded he'd have been know throughout history as the man who brought down a plane with a shoe.

If you'd been listening the sole of the shoe is the lowest of insults in their culture. We say f@#* you and they give you the sole. The statue of Saddam was healed/soled by dozens when it fell for this very reason. If the rest of the world traded their guns for shoes to attack people we'd be better off. Bush was lucky that wasn't a hollow point and we can joke about it today.

We may think the guy looks idiotic but his people probably praise him for it. Again it's their culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies