Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:55 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,609,066 times

Advertisements

Greetings and salutations to all you fine folks....

I was reading some of the posts this morning and a question came to mind.

Where are you getting your information from? What are your sources?
Please try to be as specific as possible.

I'm asking this because some of the responses I read seem to have a very different perspective than I have, and I consider myself to be somewhat well informed.

I read several news sites.....

CNN.com
Foxnews.com
Comcast.net
Newsday.com
Washingtonpost.com
NYtimes.com
reuters.com

I watch the big three national news stations....
CNN
Fox
MSNBC

Occasionally I'll cruise Drudge for giggles, but not often.

.......yet, some of the views and opinions I read in this forum seem to have come from another information source. So, curious cat that I am, I'm wondering where you all get the bulk of your news from?

-TT

Old 03-02-2007, 08:59 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,457,166 times
National Public Radio (NPR.org)
BBC News (news.bbc.co.uk)
Slashdot (slashdot.org)
local newspapers (The State, Wilmington Star, Charlotte Observer)

I very rarely use Fox News, CNN, or MSNBC. IMO, they are all a mile wide, and an inch deep.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:08 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,248,636 times
Can you be a little more specific? Which topics are you questioning the sources on?

Old 03-02-2007, 09:09 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,889,244 times
I read daily

NY Times
Washington Times
TownHall
philadelphia Inquirer

Listen to daily

NPR
Talk Radio
Christian Radio
CBC radio
BBC

Watch daily

CBN
Fox News
Jim Lehrer Hour PBS
CBS news

Old 03-02-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Can you be a little more specific? Which topics are you questioning the sources on?
"Politics and other controversies" of course. I'm curious where people get their information on the topics they come in here to discuss.

I was hoping that might shed some light on the diametrically opposing views that I sometimes see in here.

-TT

Old 03-02-2007, 01:46 PM

Wow, so most of you just kinda think up the stuff you post?
http://www.yapcity.com/images/smiles/To%20funny.gif (broken link)

I've suspected it with some all along.

-TT

Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,457,166 times
Yap, I'm not sure if I follow you completely. It seems like you may be making a few false assumptions regarding how opinions are formed.

I know personally, my "views and opinions" don't come directly from news. I gather the facts as best I can and form my views based on lots of factors. Books, my general education, people's opinions I trust, essays, wikipedia, and my personal experience are all examples of things that combine to form my ideas. News is only a fragment of a bigger picture, that relays facts about current situations. I would assume that other people operate in a similar manner.

Can you provide anything specific, to give me some idea of what you're talking about?

Old 03-02-2007, 02:40 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,930,726 times
Well, if something looks doubtful to me, I'll check Snopes. I really do trust them.
Other than that, I like Slate, MSNBC, CNN, Yahoo, BBC, NPR, that sort of thing. But I'll read Fox just as I'll read Al Jazeerah.
I like to mix it up a bit.
I think at one time or another I've read just about every *halfway* credible news source on the 'net.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:44 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,889,244 times
i think most of the people here were answering the original post, where do people get most of their information.

Surely, people have experiences, have beliefs, and knowledge about a subject and they are able to speak on in and articulate their views. But sources are just that, what sources do you use in completing your views or validating them.

I use the media sources for info, also personal experience, courses in education, actively working on an issue, a faith based source, and common sense.

ex.

If a question is about say, what one's idea is about the confederate flag, thats an opinion, based on personal viewpoints, historical context, education about the subject.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Yap, I'm not sure if I follow you completely. It seems like you may be making a few false assumptions regarding how opinions are formed.

I know personally, my "views and opinions" don't come directly from news. I gather the facts as best I can and form my views based on lots of factors. Books, my general education, people's opinions I trust, essays, wikipedia, and my personal experience are all examples of things that combine to form my ideas. News is only a fragment of a bigger picture, that relays facts about current situations. I would assume that other people operate in a similar manner.

Can you provide anything specific, to give me some idea of what you're talking about?
Well if you're discussing current events, SOMETHING has to come from a news source. The books you read or your general education have nothing to do with current events, correct?

That's really what I'm asking. Where does everyone get their information on current events/politics/etc?

-TT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies