Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 04:49 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,076,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Would you not agree however that the use of "Ms" is optional and a personal choice of the woman? Doesn't a woman have the choice to use "Miss" or "Mrs" instead?

Neither term is demeaning to a woman - or, do you think it is?

You just can't answer the question,

Why Aren't Men Labeled Like Women Are?" , can you?

Would men think it's demeaning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 04:51 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,012,995 times
Quote:
Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar of Tontitown, Ark., had their eighteenth child Thursday – Jordyn-Grace Makiya, who joins the rest of her J-named siblings.

Jordyn-Grace was born via C-section at Mercy Medical Center in Rogers, weeks before her due date of Jan. 1. She weighed in at 7 lbs, 3 oz and was 20 inches long.

Duggar Family Welcomes 18th (!) Child - Babies : People.com
Of course it was a c-section. The woman has NO MUSCLE TONE left in that uterus! LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-19-2008, 04:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,135,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Why Aren't Men Labeled Like Women Are?" , can you?

Would men think it's demeaning?
You pose a question I frankly have never given any consideration to. The term "Mister", of which "Mr" is the shortened version, has, to the best of my knowledge, always referred to a male - married or not. That's the best answer I have for you -

Now, if you ever marry, would you use the term "Mrs"?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:03 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,076,274 times
Quote:
You pose a question I frankly have never given any consideration to. The term "Mister", of which "Mr" is the shortened version, has, to the best of my knowledge, always referred to a male - married or not. That's the best answer I have for you -

Now, if you ever marry, would you use the term "Mrs"?
""You pose a question I frankly have never given any consideration to. "

Yup, it sounded like it.....sexism is insidious which is why it continues and is so hard to eradicate.

I don't expect you to change your mind because of me but if I at least made you think in a different way, I'm happy.

PS: I do NOT answer questions about my personal life. I find personal stories suspect and uninteresting....unless they're made up and then what would be the point?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:07 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,513,810 times
I'll say that if I ever get married, I will definitely not take my husbands last name. I was born w/my name, I'll die w/my name. Besides, that's MY name, I wouldn't feel the same if I took on someone else's last name.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,540,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'll say that if I ever get married, I will definitely not take my husbands last name. I was born w/my name, I'll die w/my name. Besides, that's MY name, I wouldn't feel the same if I took on someone else's last name.
That's more along my line of thinking... I *might* take on his name as part of a hyphenated version of my own. My boyfriend understands and is not offended or affected by it. As for the Duggars, they seem to enjoy their children and for some odd reason make enough money to provide for all 18 of their kids so good for them. My parents both worked full time jobs all during my childhood just to make ends meet, and I definitely didn't get to take harp lessons or have a music studio in my house...

Old 12-19-2008, 05:10 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,513,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's more along my line of thinking... I *might* take on his name as part of a hyphenated version of my own. My boyfriend understands and is not offended or affected by it. As for the Duggars, they seem to enjoy their children and for some odd reason make enough money to provide for all 18 of their kids so good for them. My parents both worked full time jobs all during my childhood just to make ends meet, and I definitely didn't get to take harp lessons or have a music studio in my house...
Oh I couldn't even do the hypenated thing....you know how much frustration I've had w/ jobs looking up people who had hypenated names? But to each his own, right?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:11 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,082,701 times
Quote:
Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar of Tontitown, Ark., had their eighteenth child Thursday – Jordyn-Grace Makiya, who joins the rest of her J-named siblings.

Jordyn-Grace was born via C-section at Mercy Medical Center in Rogers, weeks before her due date of Jan. 1. She weighed in at 7 lbs, 3 oz and was 20 inches long.

Duggar Family Welcomes 18th (!) Child - Babies : People.com
May she have a long and blessed life. Welcome to the world baby girl.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:22 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,540,687 times
Quote:
Oh I couldn't even do the hypenated thing....you know how much frustration I've had w/ jobs looking up people who had hypenated names? But to each his own, right?
Yeah... I'm still not sure, because if I hyphenated my name it would sound like the end of an 800# for an Indian Restaurant.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:29 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,082,701 times
Quote:
Yes, I understand the Nazi's did that, however I doubt that is what the other posters on here were getting at. How does eugenics have anything to do w/being disgusted by the out of control breeding that woman has been subjected to? It's hardly even close to the same thing.
Caylee's mother only had one child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies