U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-24-2009, 01:35 PM

16,448 posts, read 10,872,124 times

Advertisements

It matters to me because it is one more unraveling of the thread that holds together society. The sanctity of marriage, the importance of the family, belief in a higher power, patriotism and military service, and so on are all under attack. Our nation is coming apart at the seams and that seems to be the objective.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 01:47 PM

25,275 posts, read 15,529,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It matters to me because it is one more unraveling of the thread that holds together society. The sanctity of marriage, the importance of the family, belief in a higher power, patriotism and military service, and so on are all under attack. Our nation is coming apart at the seams and that seems to be the objective.
For some people, the world is just too complex.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 PM

127 posts, read 262,558 times
Quote:
I would think that extending marriage rights would be another thread that would help strengthen society. Yes, it would be different from what we've traditionally had, but how would it weaken society?

It's certainly not going to impact, either way, the number of people who are gay, only how they live within our civil society and, to that end, marriage would seem to be a stabilizing force, not a destructive one.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:00 PM

25,275 posts, read 15,529,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Cheapskate View Post
I would think that extending marriage rights would be another thread that would help strengthen society. Yes, it would be different from what we've traditionally had, but how would it weaken society?

It's certainly not going to impact, either way, the number of people who are gay, only how they live within our civil society and, to that end, marriage would seem to be a stabilizing force, not a destructive one.
Absolutely. Being in favor of same-sex marriage is actually a conservative position in many ways. Why wouldn't society want to encourage long-term relationships?

I think a national civil unions law would be a good start. Then the individual states can figure out for themselves whether or not they want to convert their civil union law to marriage. It sure would be simpler to have one set of laws that apply to everyone rather than trying to maintain a "separate but equal" system of marriage. The smart states will realize this.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I agree with you. I'm all for love but I'm all for dignity too and I think that PDA....hetro and homo are less about love and more about "look what I've got." Holding hands while walking is fine with me. Beyond that you're just showing off..not showing love.
I have to disagree with you both. PDA is just people show love they could careless who watches and they arent doing it so they can show off. Also i think homo PDA is truly sweet because those people have the courage to do that and not care what anyone thing. Those people are the people who are truely in love

Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 PM

13,036 posts, read 15,314,042 times
Nothing to do with me at all. None of my business who someone decides to marry.

I support the right of two consenting adults to have exactly the same rights I as a heterosexual enjoy, including marriage. Anything less would be a travesty of social justice and human rights.

I am all for commitment and long term relationships . All human beings should have the right to marry or not marry the people they love. Regardless of sexual orientation, colour, race, nationality, creed, etc...

Nobody forces you to marry somebody of the same sex so why does it matter ?

I will never understand why people get their knickers in a twist about. Even if you think it is a sin, you are not the one committing it .

We need more love not less. The law should not discriminate between different types of relationships. As long as it does not harm anyone then quite frankly butt out of other people's business.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:51 PM

11,289 posts, read 12,911,355 times
Quote:

Exactly! I served 6 years in the Air Force, have been mongamous for 14 years, go to church every Sunday (well, almost), fly my American flag proudly on my front porch, and my highest priority is raising and nurturing my children and making it "until death do we part". I get up and go to work every day to help provide a home for my children and be a productive member in society.

Oh, wait. I'm also gay, so I forgot to pick at the seams that hold the country together today. Thanks for reminding me

Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM

13,036 posts, read 15,314,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Exactly! I served 6 years in the Air Force, have been mongamous for 14 years, go to church every Sunday (well, almost), fly my American flag proudly on my front porch, and my highest priority is raising and nurturing my children and making it "until death do we part". I get up and go to work every day to help provide a home for my children and be a productive member in society.

Oh, wait. I'm also gay, so I forgot to pick at the seams that hold the country together today. Thanks for reminding me
Ah but wouldn't it be better if you were a beer swilling, drug using, cursing , unpatriotic, promiscuous unfaithful lecherous heterosexual !?!?! I mean come on Denverian let's get things in perspective here. That's the kind of upstanding citizens we really need in our society.

Your sexual orientation is what makes you a danger to society not your character , bad deeds or lacks of morals...

I thought you would know that by now , you've read enough of those posts before.

Get with the programme !

You love a man = societal moral degradation and the spiralling down of everything which is good and wholesome and the standards we hold dear ...

Never mind I still like you !

Old 02-25-2009, 02:36 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,153,642 times
Quote:

I could not agree more. The country is losing it's morals and those that lead the charge against them scream hatred and we are morons. Case in point the wife beater, Sean Penn, saying those that voted against gay marriage should feel shame. The same people that called and still attack our military members for killing people. The same people dismiss religion and say it's for hillbilly's and right wing bible fanatics despite 90% of the country believing in some form of religion.

Also, Newsflash Obama even says marrigie is between a man and a women. So atleast we can hold on to something being pure in this coutry for now.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:36 PM

11,289 posts, read 12,911,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Ah but wouldn't it be better if you were a beer swilling, drug using, cursing , unpatriotic, promiscuous unfaithful lecherous heterosexual !?!?! I mean come on Denverian let's get things in perspective here. That's the kind of upstanding citizens we really need in our society.

Your sexual orientation is what makes you a danger to society not your character , bad deeds or lacks of morals...

I thought you would know that by now , you've read enough of those posts before.

Get with the programme !

You love a man = societal moral degradation and the spiralling down of everything which is good and wholesome and the standards we hold dear ...

Never mind I still like you !

I done seen some a them het'ro sexyals on Jerry Springer. They's reel good parents - if'n they could just figger out who the "baby daddy" is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies