Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 03:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
We need to be strengthening heterosexual marriages not further weaken the institution by redefinition.
Economic security weakened "traditional" marriage. When women were no longer dependent on a man for financial support the basis for "traditional" marriage went out the window, and it ain't coming back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 03:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Economic security weakened "traditional" marriage. When women were no longer dependent on a man for financial support the basis for "traditional" marriage went out the window, and it ain't coming back.
And so we need to further undermine marriage by redefinition then.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
PDA's are behavior; obesity is how someone looks. Yes, many get fat due to behavior but some obese people get that way due to metabolism imbalances.
The bottom line is that some of us (you) want to see more social control, while others (me) are comfortable with less social control. I'm comfortable with that difference. Luckily, we have lots of choices in the world regarding where we live, with whom we associate, etc., so I think there are enough options to keep most of us happy.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:25 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
How does allowing homosexual couples getting wed undermine marriage? The Christian definition is not the only one.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
I see no reason to support traditional marriage since the reasons for it to exist in the first place no longer exist.

I think the only legitimate marriages are those that would be referred to as civil unions which confer the rights of property (get it...property). Keep your "traditional" marriages in your churches.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:32 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The bottom line is that some of us (you) want to see more social control, while others (me) are comfortable with less social control. I'm comfortable with that difference. Luckily, we have lots of choices in the world regarding where we live, with whom we associate, etc., so I think there are enough options to keep most of us happy.
My issue with PDA's have nothing to do with control. It has to do with the lack of consideration that those engaging in PDA's have for those around them.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:25 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Quote:
We need to be strengthening heterosexual marriages not further weaken the institution by redefinition.

I honestly do not see how allowing same sex couples to marry would weaken heterosexual marriages. If we think (and I do) that it is good for society to have the stability of monogamous relationships and to have committed relationships in which a couple work together in harmony, then why would we not want as many people as possible to be in such relationships. I seriously doubt that people in a heterosexual marriage are going to divorce one another because homosexual marriage is possible. Money troubles, unfaithfulness, cruelty, lack of communication....those are what weakens the marriage bond. Not the marriage of others.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:29 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Totally. Once again, though, it's an example of how uncomfortable a lot of people are with sexuality, whether it's hetero or homo.

Questioning other's comfort with sexuality and boasting of one's own is actually a sign of one's own discomfort........and on and on.

Actually there's things about sex one should be uncomfortable with. Like the Woody Allen joke, when asked if sex is dirty the reply was "Yes, if it's done right."

Old 12-20-2008, 04:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
The same thing was said, essentially, when interracial marriages were allowed, and when interfaith marriages were allowed - that it would "weaken" the institution of marriage.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:31 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
My issue with PDA's have nothing to do with control. It has to do with the lack of consideration that those engaging in PDA's have for those around them.

Why should I care where I show affection to my wife, as long as I don't tear her clothes off and take her right there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies