Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 04:41 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,162,756 times

Advertisements

Seems there are a lot of people needing "bailing out" this year and next year is expected to be even worse. After watching this clip, I nearly turned off the computer weeping as it tugged even my cold dead heart strings.

Sponsor those that most need it

ok, humor aside.

I recently gave away a box of clothes and some old books to a local church group and I admit, it was a great feeling to see other folks think so much of so little as it puts things into greater perspective in my own life. While I'm far from a church kinda guy, I have started to give more of my time to helping out in my local community as I figure they are my neighbors and in these uncertain times, it may be me one day hoping for a box of old clothes to be donated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 04:48 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,579,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Going negative with a political attack is very profitable. Not that it was intended to compete, but the thread attacking liberals about charity has been responded to 39 times. Will anyone take the charities seriously or are y'all just in it for winning a political argument for public validation? How sad.
Harborlady, I hope you don't get discouraged by a few negative posters. Misery always loves company - the more it can bring down - the better. Your thread may get more positive responses over in the "other topics" thread. You'll find a more accepting group over there.

Good Luck and thank you for starting a thread about charity work

Old 12-21-2008, 04:48 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,629,449 times
I say always give and do what you can. I am fortunate and I gave both money and time and will do so agian.Most people can give as TNHilltopper did and they can give time to those that need help.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:08 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,749,509 times
Jag I understand that money does at times get abused by the wrong people, whether it be excess admin costs or scam artists. I just wish you can recall the kids of those parents and know that is their biggest handicap in life. You did what you could. More kids had a christmas than not as a result.

Charity navigator was posted for folks like you who are skeptical. You also have the option of staying local, which I think is actually best for peoples local economies. Red cross adopted a strategy of cash infusions for economically struggling areas because it helps many levels out (not just bottom, but middle and economic base).

TN-- DOH!! I've long lost touch with my ex commander however I'd love to poke him right about now if he couldn't reinstate public flogging to cheer up the troops. He always appreciated my humor on his bridge.

Mona- considering all the kavetching and moaning going on regularly in political forum I think they were inadvertently demanding it. Needy for charity awareness...

Tex- maybe you could share with folks how they volunteer time? It's usually soup kitchens with me but I'm looking into getting involved with the big sister program. One of the rough neck guys on my old crew used to volunteer as little league coach and you never saw such a softie the day this kid comes back as an adult and thanks him for being the dad he never had. The big lummox cried his eyes out hiding in my office. (But thats our little secret on the internet )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies