Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times

Advertisements

The anti-blue collar bias is huge for the connected that run this country. I always thought welfare was for poor parasites too lazy to work but it turns out the upper class is an awful parasite as well. There should be outrage in the streets over this $200 billion bail out for Maddoff and his peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 05:47 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,334,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The anti-blue collar bias is huge for the connected that run this country. I always thought welfare was for poor parasites too lazy to work but it turns out the upper class is an awful parasite as well. There should be outrage in the streets over this $200 billion bail out for Maddoff and his peers.
: still at work, glances over shoulder then skims the article, lifts brow : Hmmmm...

Clients demanding to pull their money out of hedge funds has caused extreme pressure on the credit and stock markets... So much so that your larger hedge funds have become gated (in their prospectuses is a little small print saying bottom line, the manager can refuse your request for redemption for a certain period of time).

The managers need to keep the investors' money in the fund and so deny the investors redemption (that they cannot pull their money out right now).

Hmmm... this I must admit (the news) has surprised me if only because it's been done in the open and reported. Hedge funds are so intertwined with the money market sector (the sector American businesses use for their day-to-day operations; commercial paper is cheaper than using a line of credit from a bank) and maybe that's why "hedge funds" could qualify for Fed money.

The article also states:

"... This includes hedge funds, which have never been able to borrow from the US central bank before, although the Fed may not permit hedge funds to use offshore vehicles to conduct the transactions."

"The idea is to increase the supply of these loans [pools of credit card receivables, automobile loans and student loans] and reduce borrowing rates by ensuring that the companies that make the loans can sell them on to investors who have guaranteed access to low-cost funding from the Fed."

"... it could also be broadened to include new commercial and residential mortgage-backed securities."

"It attributes this [unusually high risk premiums on consumer loans] to a lack of buying interest in the secondary market where the loans are sold on to investors. By making loans to these investors on attractive terms it aims to increase market liquidity."

(My only comment is weren't these... instruments that got us into the global financial mess we are presently in? That's all I'm going to say on a public board.)

"... Fed officials hope that hedge funds will be among those investors that take advantage of the low-cost finance..."

Samyn ... you are right as to the reaction given to the UAW regarding the auto bailout in comparison to ... how can I say this?... any arm of the Global Financial Industry...

(If blue collar workers whether union or nonunion, cannot appreciate the benefit given them to function as a group, or to support the group if you are not union, [only in that the group is a shield for you and your wages], the powerful have no reason to consider any worker outside of being a piece of production.)

Paulson represented the... banking sector before the Congressional hearings, but the Big 3 had to represent themselves. It was ensured that they would suffer some form of humiliation, yet hedge fund representatives will never be asked... I should stay quiet.

All is never what, at first glance, it appears to be.

The upper echelon will alway move as a group, a business tribe, and fulfill its purpose as a group. If the working classes are stupid enough to "free" themselves totally from "their" group (any union), so much the better for Globalists.

I'd be interested in reading people's reaction to this tho for personal reasons, I won't be able to comment.

Last edited by MadAtMcCain; 12-22-2008 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-22-2008, 06:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Since when is any of the big 3 blue collar? Seems for centuroes they wre the robber barons.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:50 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,334,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
... There should be outrage in the streets over this $200 billion bail out for Maddoff [hedge funds] and his peers.
Synthetic CDOs were pushed on investors to hedge (minimize) their risks tho investors didn't realize such CDOs exposed them to the highest risk around. There is a relationship between international banks and hedge funds.

"Big banks from the UK, France and Japan helped investors treble or quadruple their bets on Bernard Madoff by lending billions of dollars to “feeder” funds..."

FT Alphaville » Blog Archive » Banks lent billions to Madoff ‘feeder funds’

Madoff Feeder Warned of Potential Fraud - Mergers, Acquisitions, Venture Capital, Hedge Funds -- DealBook - New York Times

Even back in 2005:

Hedge Funds Threat to Central Banks (May 31, 2005)

"This situation worries central bankers who still remember the way hedge funds savaged the pound in 1992, forcing Britain's withdrawal from the European exchange rate mechanism, and almost caused a global financial meltdown when the hedge fund Long-Term Capital Management collapsed in 1998."

(Those who follow my posts, remember what happened in 1998 under Clinton regarding the thrift, banks, mortgage institutions lobbying to get Fannie/Freddie involved in subprime... as well as the changes in 2000 with the Commodities Act. I bring this up just to suggest who's learning from whom, and the way "policy" works.)

(Tho the article involves the foreign exchange market, it's the transmission of an "idea", from country to country, I'm alluding to.)

Hedge funds are seen as threat to central banks' role - International Herald Tribune

And now Madoff's fund operator has been found dead today from suicide.

French manager, possible Madoff victim, dead in NY By Reuters

Head of Fund Invested in Madoff Is Found Dead - Mergers, Acquisitions, Venture Capital, Hedge Funds -- DealBook - New York Times

Everyone wanting higher returns laid the foundation for tons of money to be poured into the subprime scheme, funneling money thru "feeder funds", and now suicide.

Concerning the Fed loaning hedge funds anything:

"There's a lot of abuse of jargon trying to hide the fact that the FED has decided to move a market price other than the safe interest rate."

Angry Bear: Hedge Funds Get FED Aid

Fraud burns banks lending to feeder funds - UPI.com

I can't list sources right now and probably won't be able to get back to the boards for a couple of days but if we really understood the relationship of international banks, international institutions' relationships with countries and the policies various countries make that impact our own; the role of powerful families in commerce, maybe our view concerning our affairs would not be so heavily influenced by political spin.

One doesn't have to take on a global economic view or awareness in order to understand why what is happening on a local level is happening (concerning jobs, etc.), but it sure helps.

For the everyday person who really wants to kick their awareness up a notch, I'll leave you this link to look over. (Sorry it's not a conservative one for you conservatives but for the most part it is truthful.)

Mock The Market: Can it Get Any Worse For Cerberus?

I'll leave a bit of hope, depending on your view.

Obama's Economic Team Discussing Economic Recovery Plan: Video, Dec. 23, 2008 - CNBC
http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=974771903&play=1

Last edited by MadAtMcCain; 12-23-2008 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies