Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:46 AM

37,164 posts, read 19,174,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Perhaps in the liberal universe, a man would name himself "teatime," but, happily, I don't reside in that universe and I'm not a man. If I were, I'd probably name myself "Millertime" or "JackDanielstime."

Y'all can try to divert this issue to Bush all that you want and I'm sure the liberal talking point has been to blame Bush for EVERYTHING, even long after Obama is in office. HOWEVER, the subject of this thread is OBAMA'S illegal immigrant relative. If BUSH had an illegal immigrant relative who is currently taking up public housing and services, the libs would have been all over it a long time ago.

Besides, she's being sheltered in one of the most liberal states in the Union and probably a sanctuary city. Bush didn't create the liberal haven that is Massachusetts. Bush also didn't create the immigration system -- in fact, he's actually TRIED to do something, as in hiring far more Border Patrol agents, restructuring and creating ICE to work with Homeland Security, and encouraging more workplace raids.

Obama is setting a bad example and a bad precedent as a CITIZEN, let alone as president-elect. He had the money and the power to push through her paperwork and help her become a legal resident. That's something AVERAGE CITIZENS would do, if they could. Barring that, he needs to help her leave the country and apply legally, as everyone else has to do. He doesn't get a pass because he's "president-elect" and he doesn't get a pass after inauguration, either.
T, My apologies for bending your gender. No offense was intended. I am old enough that anyone of indeterminate sex is "he" until proven different.

Not a matter of diverting it to Bush. Bush is still the president and it is Bush's INS that has the authority to act on this matter.

If they have not done so with all the hoopla that ensued after she was revealed to be in Massachusetts, my guess is that Bush himself had the dogs put back in the pen and/or the INS didn't care to take a chance on offending the President-elect by singling her out for action. INS officials like to eat regularly, too, from what I hear.

Also, since she has dropped from the news cycle radar, we really don't know if any actions have been taken toward her becoming a legal resident. Obama should not help her with this. That would be political favoritism.

Now - On to the important part of this post. Gender and political confusion.

I am almost 57 years old and can knit (once made a sweater for a girlfriend), crochet, sew my own clothes if necessary (I have my own sewing machine, seperate from my wife), I buy the groceries, I cook more then my wife does, I clean house, I scrub toilets and tubs, I drive an old pickup truck, I just finished sanding and staining the floors in the back bedrooms, I own 17 firearms, and I have killed 115 deer in my life and butchered probably four times that many in addition to a number of wild hogs. I have worked as a photographer, a beekeeper, a welder, a real estate agent, an auctioneer, a truck driver, a gunsmith, a machinist, a printer (with lead type on a letterpress), and a business manager, and have been in business four times. I majored in journalism in college.

I don't like sports or television in any shape form, or fashion, I write, play guitar and banjo, an a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. I grew up in the South where iced tea is the norm, but I also love hot tea, especially the herb tea served at my favorite sushi bar. The sushi chef makes an eel roll to die for!

I am probably more like a typical "liberal" than what you think of when you hear the word, and I am certain I am like a lot of other men who don't view gender as a stumbling block when things need to be done.

You got me pigeonholed yet? Would "Millertime" fit me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 02:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Seems like after he got elected, all his problems went away. What about his illegal alien Aunt?
Has the economy gotten better yet?

Has the war ended yet?

Have the banks been regulated yet?

Have jobs increased yet?

Have wages increased yet?

Have the CEOs of failed bailed out companies had their bonuses taken away yet?

Oh NO!!!! Let's worry about the staus of ONE eldery woman!!!!!!!! OH OH ! Great CRIMES are being committed !!! OH ! Help! Help!

Old 12-24-2008, 06:43 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
My question: is Obama's only connection to this woman genetics? Why should he care about some woman distantly related to a father that never spent any time with him? Spare me the bull about "blood is thicker than water" and let's think about this for a second.

Seriously, I'm sure she's a nice little old lady, but if he doesn't know her and never spent time with her, why should she be any more important to him than other illegal alien?

My immediate family is very important to me--I've spent the whole year travelling around the country visiting my family. I spent my life building up a family owned business. But if you want to be in my family, the connection has to be more than merely a drop of blood. Like everyone in this world, there are some people I am biologically related to that I do not consider "family."

I'm willing to bet just about every poster on this forum has a few relatives like this.

I have a number of distant relatives I've never met, and if they came to my door to hit me up for a handout I wouldn't give it to them. Some of them wouldn't even be welcome in my house. (Especially those related to some guy who married a family member for a year or so, then split and never saw his kids--why should I care about his relatives?)

I've never met my mother's brother or any of his children, and I never wish to. That family branch has had some trouble with the law or done things I really want no association with--if I heard one of these people went to jail I wouldn't care a fig one way or the other. I would certainly not drop everything to go bail them out.

Then you add the complications of relatives from a father Obama barely met. Why should he care?

Last edited by normie; 12-24-2008 at 06:52 AM..

Old 12-24-2008, 06:51 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,724,071 times
When it comes to Obama and any of his friends, family or associates..you will only get excuses!!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 07:25 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
When it comes to Obama and any of his friends, family or associates..you will only get excuses!!!!
...and when it comes to Bush's actual failures and criminal acts, all we get is excuses wrapped in "patriotism"..

Old 12-24-2008, 07:33 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
My question: is Obama's only connection to this woman genetics? Why should he care about some woman distantly related to a father that never spent any time with him? Spare me the bull about "blood is thicker than water" and let's think about this for a second.

Seriously, I'm sure she's a nice little old lady, but if he doesn't know her and never spent time with her, why should she be any more important to him than other illegal alien?

My immediate family is very important to me--I've spent the whole year travelling around the country visiting my family. I spent my life building up a family owned business. But if you want to be in my family, the connection has to be more than merely a drop of blood. Like everyone in this world, there are some people I am biologically related to that I do not consider "family."

I'm willing to bet just about every poster on this forum has a few relatives like this.

I have a number of distant relatives I've never met, and if they came to my door to hit me up for a handout I wouldn't give it to them. Some of them wouldn't even be welcome in my house. (Especially those related to some guy who married a family member for a year or so, then split and never saw his kids--why should I care about his relatives?)

I've never met my mother's brother or any of his children, and I never wish to. That family branch has had some trouble with the law or done things I really want no association with--if I heard one of these people went to jail I wouldn't care a fig one way or the other. I would certainly not drop everything to go bail them out.

Then you add the complications of relatives from a father Obama barely met. Why should he care?
Obviously the fringo's would be better off if he had tried to intervene. They might actually have had a claim that had legs. By staying out of it he gave this story no legs and that is the source of their continual frustration. His innate intellectual ability to stay ahead of them.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:42 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
By staying out of it he gave this story no legs and that is the source of their continual frustration.
Yup, let whatever's destined to happen to her, happen to her. Why should Obama care one way or the other? Obama's also distantly related to Madonna, I hear. That didn't get her a special invitation to the White House.

Hell, I bet he's probably related to me somehow. We have a lot of family in the same towns, there's probably some connection. But if I get a traffic ticket the judge isn't going to let me off.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:29 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Has the economy gotten better yet?

Has the war ended yet?

Have the banks been regulated yet?

Have jobs increased yet?

Have wages increased yet?

Have the CEOs of failed bailed out companies had their bonuses taken away yet?

Oh NO!!!! Let's worry about the staus of ONE eldery woman!!!!!!!! OH OH ! Great CRIMES are being committed !!! OH ! Help! Help!

It seems like the libs cant seem to stop talking about Sarah Palin's Rxtended family......

Old 12-24-2008, 12:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
It seems like the libs cant seem to stop talking about Sarah Palin's Rxtended family......
Not to sound like your mother, but two wrongs don't make a right! I don't like the Palin kid bashing, either, and I think it's irrelevant that Levi Johnston's mother was arrested on drug charges.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:29 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
freepost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies