Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you legalize gay marriage??
Yes 80 62.02%
No 49 37.98%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthoughts View Post
However, I find it hypocritical more so of Black people to deny anyone their civil rights regardless of fear. If they lost the ability to marry a white person, latino or any other person outside of their own race again wouldn't they want all people to defend them like they wanted people who 'feared them' to defend them the first time around.

You can be sure they would expect us to.
1) Blacks are being held more accountable just by being Black? So they HAVE TO rally behind any group's cause at that groups demands like we are a group of "Rent-A-Supporters"? We are NO ONE'S slaves.

2) The Black community did not actively seek out the support of other communities during the civil rights movement (others joined because they believed in the cause) We were not "disgusted" that Asians and Latinos did not join en masse but were grateful for the ones that joined of their own accord.

3) Stop treating the Black community as if WE owe YOU (the gay community) anything. We do not owe you!

4) The actions and backlash of some in the gay community in the aftermath of the passing of Prop 8 is pushing many would be supporters away. I personally voted No on Prop 8 but I am not happy that some very vocal elements of the gay community have resorted to name calling and just plain nastiness. It is making me rethink my support. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 12:57 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
1) Blacks are being held more accountable just by being Black? So they HAVE TO rally behind any group's cause at that groups demands like we are a group of "Rent-A-Supporters"? We are NO ONE'S slaves.

2) The Black community did not actively seek out the support of other communities during the civil rights movement (others joined because they believed in the cause) We were not "disgusted" that Asians and Latinos did not join en masse but were grateful for the ones that joined of their own accord.

3) Stop treating the Black community as if WE owe YOU (the gay community) anything. We do not owe you!

4) The actions and backlash of some in the gay community in the aftermath of the passing of Prop 8 is pushing many would be supporters away. I personally voted No on Prop 8 but I am not happy that some very vocal elements of the gay community have resorted to name calling and just plain nastiness. It is making me rethink my support. Seriously.
Sounds like the 'mos is gettin uppity out there in Californee.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times
And this is what I find very telling about this discussion. Every black voter in CA could have supported Prop 8 and it still would not have passed without the support of white voters, Hispanics, evangelicals and the Mormon Church who bankrolled this initiative. Yet, black Californians are being scapegoated for this. It is almost like telling those voters, how dare you exercise your choice in a way that we don't like - who do you think you are?

Instead of looking for a scapegoat, the gay community would be much better reaching out to the black community and trying to establish some common ground.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Are you equally disgusted with white people, latino people, and I imagine Asian people who voted for Prop 8?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM

511 posts, read 658,640 times
Quote:

"-YOU-(the gay community) "

First off I am straight.

I support the gay community, black, latino, women or any other group who are being victimized and their rights taken from them.

Because I believe in America, our freedom which is why all those veterans have died in all those wars to defend.

Prop 8 is a slap in the face from the BLACK community who made it pass.
If not for their hypocritical vote it would not have passed.

answer to 2] False and incorrect information, try again. You expected the laws of the USA as a minority group to apply to you, therefore being a minority you expected groups outside of your community to support you. Many civil rights leaders pleaded with the white majority to support them.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthoughts View Post
Yes because we are Americans and this bs is breaking the very laws that define us as a nation. It is not cool to shred the constitution, deny anyone their freedom of religion, civil rights or to NOT Separate Church and State

However, I find it hypocritical more so of Black people to deny anyone their civil rights regardless of fear. If they lost the ability to marry a white person, latino or any other person outside of their own race again wouldn't they want all people to defend them like they wanted people who 'feared them' to defend them the first time around.

You can be sure they would expect us to.
Why not find it equally hypocritical for women to vote for the measure? They faced discrimination as well.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
1)

Seriously, while I understand you position, I find it to be divisive and counterproductive.

You are right that the African American community doesn't owe anything to anybody. But the African American community does owe the cause of social justice where ever injustice exists. We cannot allow the recriminations from others affect our commitment to that cause. Because some gays and their supporters lash out at our community is never sufficient reason to second guess our commitment to what is right and just.

As for this thread and threads like, it. See them for what they are and move on.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times
Wow and yet you don't understand why some people in the black community don't support your cause?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Sounds like the 'mos is gettin uppity out there in Californee.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:14 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:

Well stated, ITA and BRAVO!!!!!

Old 11-12-2008, 01:15 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Yet, black Californians are being scapegoated for this.
O'Reilly said on his insipid show that Prop 8 passed because of black voters, and that people who are angry should be attacking them.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:16 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
As I posted earlier.

Why don't the protesters take their fight directly where black people are?

Go to directly predominantly black neighborhoods and protest.

I would pay money to watch that on pay-per-view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies