Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 PM

125 posts, read 435,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Not really. Statement one makes a assessment of individuals who are a part of a group based on voluntary activity. Which is an entirely different concept than making an assessment of a group that is involuntary.

Even more, Simply being able to see a person as an individual does not imply that that person cannot be put into a group, but that rather than being nothing more than that amorphous group they are an identity unto themselves. In other words, of course an ethnically African person is a member of a group of people with African ancestry, but that does not mean that they do not have individual thoughts, mannerisms, and actions, etc.
But, thru your own lack of perspective you still lumped an individual, with his own thoughts and opinions, in with people you consider to be 'racist', or ignorant of other races, only because that person sees things from a different lens. You created a 'group' or a stereotype where there may not have been one in the first place. Telling someone they are nearly incapable of seeing the truth(calling it a disability)is a form of slander also. That's where the irony comes in.

I really hate all this wordy crap, but when in Rome...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxchus View Post
But, thru your own lack of perspective you still lumped an individual, with his own thoughts and opinions, in with people you consider to be 'racist', or ignorant of other races, only because that person sees things from a different lens. You created a 'group' or a stereotype where there may not have been one in the first place. Telling someone they are nearly incapable of seeing the truth(calling it a disability)is a form of slander also. That's where the irony comes in.

I really hate all this wordy crap, but when in Rome...
Exquisitely stated. While most of us agree that racism, xenophobia, blanket dismissals, and broad generalizations are "bad", the fact remains that to some extent, "generalizing" is all that any of us can do.....and dividing society into those we 'like' and 'dislike'.....and who 'act right' or 'act wrongly'....or who we 'agree with' or don't, is simply a lot easier than becoming "personally acquainted" with 330 million individual people.

In short, without SOME form of 'dividing people up' into categories, it would be impossible to discuss ANY person, or social phenomena, or event, at ALL, outside our immediate circle...and THEN, who would we discuss them WITH?.

Oh, the irony......here we are 'judging' the racists.....because they're "all alike"....

Interesting point....

Old 12-28-2008, 08:58 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie08 View Post
Prejudice::reconceived judgment or opinion (2): an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b: an instance of such judgment or opinion c: an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

When an older white lady on the train clutches her purse when she sees a group of young black teens, she is displaying prejudice.

I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know where it has gone since the OP but I would say that the elderly white lady on a train is more likely displaying fear than an innate prejudice when she clutches her purse when she sees a group of young black teens. After all, there could be many extenuating circumstances to her reaction, not the least of which is her own vulnerability.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:14 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know where it has gone since the OP but I would say that the elderly white lady on a train is more likely displaying fear than an innate prejudice when she clutches her purse when she sees a group of young black teens. After all, there could be many extenuating circumstances to her reaction, not the least of which is her own vulnerability.
Fair enough point. There are a LOT of frail elderly people who are quite 'ill at ease' around groups of teens....quite aside from any racial aspect of EITHER party. Many teens today just don't 'behave' the way these old folks remember..and that alone can be disturbing.

Sad but true...

Old 12-28-2008, 09:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Closet racism and discrimination exists in America as a whole....

Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxchus View Post
Translation: "if you don't think exactly like I do about race and haven't experienced the same things then you are automatically racist. Your viewpoint must be the same as mine to be correct"

This is a pretty good example of coercion.
You got it. No concrete examples just accusations.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:08 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Closet racism and discrimination exists in America as a whole....
Again, if it's in the closet how do you quantify, so you can justify, the accusation?

Or, are "feelings" enough.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,788 times
If I were that little old white lady I would be afraid too. Whats the big deal. Not more then a couple of weeks ago I witnessed an older lady being pushed to the ground and have her purse snatched by a black man. If I saw a white male walking towards me I wouldn't tighten my grip on my purse quite as hard. Sorry, I am just being honest.

Last edited by redwine; 12-28-2008 at 11:30 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 07:09 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
You obviously have a very narrow concept of "black culture". You'll see what you want to see, of course.
Actually, considering I got repped eight times for my concept of black culture, especially when applied to today's youth, I think I get a pass.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:00 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
To me it isn't so much hilarious as it is sad... Trying to look, act, and come off as ignorant is the opposite of anything I have ever tried to do out in public. I don't go around dressing like I'm retarded and talk like I'm retarded to score cool points with some loser sluts who find it attractive to date guys that are going no where in life.
Dude, this post rocks! I have honestly said the same thing to myself a number of times when I encounter those kind of idiots. Seems to be alot of them at the malls for some reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies