Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro-life or Pro-choice
Pro-life 66 35.68%
Pro-choice 119 64.32%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:55 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Hardly the same. Nazi Germany was a fascist regime. We all know that slavery involved taking people from their homeland and forcing them into servitude. A fetus isn't forced to do anything, early on it isn't developed, it isn't viable until a certain time either. And babies are hardly tortured inside the womb. But I guess those comparisons are your straw men?
No, you missed the point. I never compared abortion to Nazi Germany. It's called context. I said there are unjust laws. Then used Nazi Germany as an example. Please, do not take my words out of context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 11:56 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
No, you missed the point. I never compared abortion to Nazi Germany. It's called context. I said there are unjust laws. Then used Nazi Germany as an example. Please, do not take my words out of context.
I don't think I did. But since you seem to believe I did, I guess I can go cry in a corner about the mistake.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
When I read the posts on this forum I start to think abortion should be mandatory.
LOL! That's baaaad!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I don't think I did. But since you seem to believe I did, I guess I can go cry in a corner about the mistake.
Go back to school woman. I never compared abortion to genocide. You have no argument and are reduced to patronizing.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
what does the 3/5ths compromise have to do with the supreme court??? straw men??? hardly.. you made a statement that the supreme court has somehow ruled that slavery is law... and that is not accurate.. the 3/5 compromise was an agreement reached in the philadelphia compromise of 1787... the surpreme court didn't have any hand in it...
Now either this is a strawman or you seem to be ranting at me for no apparent reason:

"I think it's so funny.. that so many on the gay issues want to sit and tell gays to stop whining.. and this that and the other thing.. yet when it comes to abortion.. many of the same people spouting such banter at the gays.. want to sit here and cry injustice... surely there is some middle ground on all this... must everything be turned into some sort of culture war.. where you're either with us.. or against us... it really gets old..."

Old 12-29-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Go back to school woman. I never compared abortion to genocide.
If I misunderstood your position, it's only because you stated it in a confusing way.

Also, you sound sexist. Rude...

Old 12-29-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
If I misunderstood your position, it's only because you stated it in a confusing way.

Also, you sound sexist. Rude...
I tend to be rude to those who deliberately take my words out of context. My reference to Nazis and slavery was simply this: there are unjust laws and standing up against them is a good thing.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I tend to be rude to those who deliberately take my words out of context. My reference to Nazis and slavery was simply this: there are unjust laws and standing up against them is a good thing.
I deliberately took your words out of context? Oh, right, that was my intention exactly... If you'll go back and read your post (as I just did), you'll see that it is very ambiguous. As far as I'm aware, you WERE comparing slavery and Nazis to the Supreme Court's decision on Roe v. Wade. So now you're attacking me because I took your extremely ambiguous post the "wrong way" according to you.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
You do realize that you could have taken the year of school off, then resumed classes with exactly the same schedule the next year. I'm sure though that showing the virtue of actually having the child would be stigmatized in the eyes of college admissions offices! Yes, your life would undoubtedly be ruined! Additionally, you are simply speculating about the future when you really don't know. You could be in a worse position now then if you actually had the baby! What you do know is right and wrong at any given moment, and that is what you have most control over.

That's right, you only took the entire life away from an innocent human being!
I believe she stated that she miscarried but was arguing about the potential effects had she carried the child to term.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I deliberately took your words out of context? Oh, right, that was my intention exactly... If you'll go back and read your post (as I just did), you'll see that it is very ambiguous. As far as I'm aware, you WERE comparing slavery and Nazis to the Supreme Court's decision on Roe v. Wade. So now you're attacking me because I took your extremely ambiguous post the "wrong way" according to you.
We'll take it step by step then.

I wrote: "Again I'll repeat myself. Not all laws are just. Ever hear of Nazi Germany, American slavery? Apparently not."

What do we have here...."not all laws are just," followed by, "Ever hear of Nazi Germany, American slavery?"

That's the context. It isn't extremely ambiguous.
Why are we arguing about this anyway. What a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies