Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:57 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times

Advertisements

This article was written in 2005. I recently came across it and read with interest as to the authors ideas.

http://www.independent.org/publications/article.asp?id=1510

It's a long article and here is the conclusion:

Conclusion
Were we ever to stop being afraid of the government itself and to cast off the phoney fears it has fostered, the government would shrivel and die, and the host would disappear for the tens of millions of parasites in the United States—not to speak of the vast number of others in the rest of the world—who now feed directly and indirectly off the public’s wealth and energies. On that glorious day, everyone who had been living at public expense would have to get an honest job, and the rest of us, recognizing government as the false god it has always been, could set about assuaging our remaining fears in more productive and morally defensible ways.

My question: If fear is the foundation of our American government, are we afraid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:19 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
That was depressing....tell currer I said hello.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:32 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
I fear my own gooberment a trillion times more than "terrists" from another country.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:04 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
I am afraid in the aspect of ever increasing government (state and Fed) involvement in business and our personal lives.

Personal freedoms keep getting whittled away at - seatbelt laws, smoking, etc. It can be argued that many laws are for the best for all but the fact remains they are restricing personal freedoms.

Luckily, I don't think this passed but they tried:
Quote:
proposal would make spanking, hitting and slapping a child under 4 years old a misdemeanor. Adults could face up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.....California law permits spanking by parents unless the degree of force is excessive or not appropriate for the child's age. cbs13.com - Law Would Ban Spanking In California (http://cbs13.com/local/Spanking.law.banning.2.475395.html - broken link)
As to business, now the Feds are considering the Employee Free Choice Act. There is the proposed tax on cow farts. Oh my.

Govt just keeps growing and growing - that is scary.

Last edited by vec101; 12-29-2008 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-29-2008, 07:24 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
What I take away from that article is, that in addition to death and taxes, War could be added to the list of certainties......Even if it's just a war on Cow farts.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
My question: If fear is the foundation of our American government, are we afraid?
People are afraid of a lot of things here. But that is "freedom" for them. Its just a fact that the government does not care for you. It isn't anyone's fault for the way the government became look at the American people. We are one messed up bunch compare to the rest of the world.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
We are one messed up bunch compare to the rest of the world.
Yeah, those people in Ghana and El Salvador sure do have it good.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
The government is far more dangerous than any foreign terrorists.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yeah, those people in Ghana and El Salvador sure do have it good.
I should have said IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD. Do they have neighborhoods as bad as in third world slums?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:39 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
People are afraid of a lot of things here. But that is "freedom" for them. Its just a fact that the government does not care for you. It isn't anyone's fault for the way the government became look at the American people. We are one messed up bunch compare to the rest of the world.
I'm thinking the government cares too much about us. I feel as though they are parenting us as if we are little children who can not figure it out for ourselves so they are going to help us with that. They will do so by enacting the nanny laws that govern our every day activities.

There use to be proactive people (historically 1970's past) that they would hold the government in check to the constitution in that "we the people" and you work for us. Since the 90's I have seen proactive lobbyist, however their effectiveness seems to have become diminished. (I wish I could give exact examples here to back my argument, but at the present I have a head cold and thinking it difficult)

I was listening to a segment of Biz Radio (you can find the air spot on the Internet) they are out of Houston and air also in Dallas, and they talked about Switzerland's economy was strong and there you find mostly renters, rather than the homeowner. They also mention Britain's economy strength and they also had an example that depict a compare ratio along with several other's. Like China (I think) backed their automakers to keep their people employed.

However, all of this is well and good. Are 'we the people', freely giving to our government elects the power to control our lives? Did we on some level roll over and say okay we can't figure this out, so in turn we give to you the power to help us? Who did we vote for that voted for the new laws that increased the decision making on our every day lives?

The Patriot Act for one that allows the feds to operate with the local law enforcement and now they need not show just cause evidence...they can freely interrupt our lives now on just an idea alone.

"If the government plays the fear card too much, it overloads the public’s sensibilities, and eventually people discount almost entirely the government’s attempts to frighten them further."

Fear is fight or flight emotion. Which do you think will be within our future when we develop naturally as people who may be treated as children?

I'm thinking we are smarter than they give us credit and that a rebellion is on the way and in that it will one day be a "we the people", you work for us and your fired.

I'm just hopeful that way though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies