Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 AM

35,975 posts, read 30,519,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They claim that it is because the schools have changed so much. The only difference is that these schools are less homogeneous.

It doesn't mean they are bad people, but their motives are more out of ignorance and cultural intolerance.
TN is also getting an influx, but the reasons I hear are cheap land and low taxes. Most of the people I've talked to are retired or semi-retired, so schools and jobs arent an issue. Crime and traffic are other issues I've heard mentioned. I've yet to hear the CA and FL transplants say they left due to cultural intolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:33 AM
NCN

21,665 posts, read 25,520,207 times
We came 25 miles out of Charlotte and found a new life completely. My husband now works from home and I am retired but when I worked it was not in Charlotte. We sometimes go into Charlotte for medical, shopping, etc. but we are living in the country and don't need much from Charlotte anymore, especially the crime and noise.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
NCN

21,665 posts, read 25,520,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Where I live it's from the sterile suburbs to the inner city!
My daughter lives in Northern Virginia and judging from the people moving to her town, that is a little hard to believe.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 AM

790 posts, read 1,728,125 times
Quote:
White Flight - where do they go?
they're in Antarctica. Their white skin is camouflaged into the snow.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,032,754 times
Thumbs up Daves right !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wow, so it's all about racism. Not one chance that what they are fleeing is increased levels of crime and depreciating property values. Those than can afford to move will move away from the crime. Those that can't are stuck. Maybe back in the 50s and 60s it was about racism. What's happening today is all about crime.
I agree 100% with you Dave.Can you believe that? The middle/lower middle class in cities are victimized all the way around by criminals,taxes,politicians,deadbeats etc etc and they can't even carry guns to defend themselves against crime in most instances.Their calls for help to the cops fall on deaf ears and if someone breaks into their vehicle or home,chances are unless there was great bodily injury involved they have a hard time even getting a police report to turn into their insurance company(I have relatives all throughout the Memphis P.D. and Shelby County that tell me EXACTLY how it is in metro) and woe unto the average guy defending himself against a criminal in the city,chances are HE'LL be arrested because he's working and can afford to pay the fines whereas the scumbag can't...BUT when you live in the really rural areas most times it's exactly opposite(unless the criminal is related to a cop or politician).The major crimes in this area for instance are meth related crap and the gun laws that Chicago and the larger cities are burdened with are pretty much ignored by LEOs here.If you catch someone stealing your property around here,you take an axe handle to him and call the law who more likely than not will also stomp the thiefs butt real good if given any reason to whatsoever and chances are the criminal WON'T be back for seconds(his dumbass brother or cousin might be,but HE won't).I think you are right and this is the only reason for white flight from the urban areas,not racism,but protection.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 AM

13,625 posts, read 20,679,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
While it's true many big U.S. cities are experiencing diversity, not every city is. I'm from California and I was quite shocked to see that basically everyone I saw in Reno was White, and I spent around two hours there walking around. So, while this country may be increasing in diversity, there's still states and cities that are basically White. Where do they go? Even California still has counties well above 50% White, some even close to 90% White.
Well, as whites in America are still the overwhelming majority and despite 'dire' predictions, will continue to be for quite some time, their distribution stats should not surprise you.

I do not know very much about Reno, but I would guess that it never attracted black folks during the great migration, probably as its not an industrial center. Are there no Hispanics there like in Las Vegas?

Also, perhaps some cities experience what my hometown (DC) does. It never pulled alot of Asian immigrants in as they went straight to the burbs thus skipping that "historical tenement experience" in the central city.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:53 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,306,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when they leave they call it white flight.
when they come back they call it gentrification.

Lol, both with negative connotations. I think whoever comes up with this kind of labelling just wants white people to stay put, no matter what!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:55 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,040,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My daughter lives in Northern Virginia and judging from the people moving to her town, that is a little hard to believe.
They aren't moving from the inner city out to Northern Virgina. Maybe from West Virginia to Northern Virginia.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:02 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,306,253 times
Here in South Florida, "white flight" is often linked to racial overtones, but it's definitely more than that.

In Miami, for example, many non-Hispanics simply feel like second class citizens sometimes because you just might get hissed at by an old Spanish-speaking woman if you don't know Spanish at a store... or you might have a hard time finding a job because a legal way to be pretty sure you're likely to get a Latino non-black or Latino non-white is to run want ads demanding "bilingual applicants only." There is a huge difference between knowing a language conversationally, and knowing a language well enough to be, say, a legal secretary.

So the whites (and many blacks) packed up and moved up the coast. But then as poorer immigrants started to pour in to Palm Beach and Broward Counties, the crime went up. Overall, this is actually not true. Florida crime on a whole, including South FLorida, is at historic lows, and is much lower than in the 80s and 90s (for now -- who knows if economic forces will push it ever higher). However, quiet little neighborhoods that USED to be full of old retirees from New York in places like Palm Beach County can now house 3-4 families in a single cottage style bungalow, which means the neighborhoods as a whole have deteriorated tremendously in some places, bringing crime, shootings, gangs, etc. where there weren't any before. Most of the white familes moved North again, or to the Western part of the County.

The new thing now for disaffected Floridians is to continue to move North in Florida, or try to find their Shangrila in NC, SC, TN, GA....... but I've started to hear that white people in those states are getting a little tired of the influx, and MAY just start some of their own fleeing if things don't improve!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,780,567 times
I'm from the S.F. Bay Area....(Palo Alto) and here's why I fled...

High cost of housing....you NEED to make a six-figure salary here to survive...and buy a house....
Crime....On the increase and the police are hog-tied by political correctness...Two Bay Area cities are in the top ten for most dangerous cities in the U.S.....These criminals routinely drive to other bay area towns and commit crimes....fleeing in high speed car chases....Our police chief was forced out because of a totally bogus claim of "racial profiling"....but the criminal in question in the case that got the chief fired/forced out....DID FIT THE DESCRIPTION.......In short the police are expected to keep the yuppies safe...but the police get punished for doing their jobs....go figure....
Intolerance....Palo Alto in specific and the Bay Area in general prides itself for being "tolerant" but in reality they are not. They are tolerant only of those that parrot the views of the totally dominant liberal paradigm.....you repeat what they say and think...and it's all cool....otherwise they scream in your face...You can NOT live here and quietly and calmly speak your opinions....any opposing view is met with threats and violence....
The corrupt and bankrupt politics of Sacramento. California is bust....what is it now 38 BILLION in the hole?....This will only lead to more taxes...more "fees" (taxes).....California will have the highest taxes in the U.S. and this is reason enough to leave...
Population. We have over thirty five million people in CA...Too many people...too many people on welfare rolls....and the population growth projections are pure madness....How many more MILLION can the state take??? Where are all these people going to live? How will this population impact the schools....the job market...the states budget...the states infrastructure....the ENVIRONMENT?....Not one person seems willing to address those issues...
Illegal Immigration....in California...many Bay Area cities have made themselves (in violation of federal statutes) "sanctuary cities"...meaning they will NOT enforce illegal immigration laws and will NOT help federal authorities in apprehending illegal immigrants....The result of this idiotic position is that illegal immigrants FLOOD into these "sanctuary cities" and do as they please because they have been given blanket immunity from the city. This has lead to an increase in crime....vandalism...vagrancy and hundreds of unemployed...unknown....undocumented men standing around on street corners. Not ONE person has ANY idea who these men are....what their back-grounds are....if they are criminals or not...if they carry infectious diseases or not......The police do nothing....they cant'....
The public education system. The schools here have focused more and more attention on the touchy feely "subjects" and seem to have an increasingly difficult time stressing the basics....math....English...My kids need an EDUCATION...NOT INDOCTRINATION....I pay taxes to send my kids to schools to learn the BASICS....not what is politically correct....not to have some dizzy flunky "teacher" brow-beat them endlessly publicly in the classroom because Daddy is in the service...or because my kid has a differing view.....Also we have the issue of busing.....residents of Santa Clara county are paying tax money to support "students" of San Mateo county....The threat of law suit keeps this "system" in place....

So all this adds up to, quote...white flight.....Why stay in an area that has become so totally expensive...intolerant...and hateful...and criminal and resentful.....and frankly totally UN-American....it makes no sense....so we leave and go someplace less expensive...nicer....safer...cleaner...and less crowded.....and just a bit more patriotic.....OBVIOUSLY!!!!

Last edited by Happy Cells; 12-30-2008 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies