Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:13 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,223 times

Advertisements

I watch the program almost every night, and I have never, EVER seen a white person on the show. It is always blacks (75%) and Hispanics (25%) of the time. Is this journalistic bias or do White suburbanites like me just love watching minorities get jailed for crimes they commit from the comfort of their homes, watching High Definintion LCDs?

The First 48 - A&E TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 02:44 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I watch the program almost every night, and I have never, EVER seen a white person on the show. It is always blacks (75%) and Hispanics (25%) of the time. Is this journalistic bias or do White suburbanites like me just love watching minorities get jailed for crimes they commit from the comfort of their homes, watching High Definintion LCDs?

The First 48 - A&E TV
I enjoy the show despite the fact that it is always minorities.
I did see one episode where two white kids on meth murdered three inhabitants of an apartment because they wanted to rob them.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:58 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,085 times
I too watch the show and there are occassions where white people are portrayed.

You have to also take into account what cities and neighborhoods they film in. Little Haiti, Miami, Memphis, Dallas; they all have heavy minority populations so yes, they are only going to feature those that live predominately in those areas.

As for enjoying watching people destroy their lives by taking others lives, I do not get off on it as you do no matter the race.

The show is a great show regardless.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:03 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,087 times
You apparently missed a couple of episodes of investigations conducted by Phoenix, Memphis, Miami and Cincinatti PDs. These episodes involved Caucasion males and females as victims or perpetrators.

I don't think it's a journalism bias. These episodes are simply illustrating law enforcement's response to an incident and the producers don't get to pick the incidents.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:29 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
You apparently missed a couple of episodes of investigations conducted by Phoenix, Memphis, Miami and Cincinatti PDs. These episodes involved Caucasion males and females as victims or perpetrators.

I don't think it's a journalism bias. These episodes are simply illustrating law enforcement's response to an incident and the producers don't get to pick the incidents.
Agreed...plus, it's a statistic fact that violent crime affects the black community much more than the white community. Poor white people generally live in rural towns, not the kind of place where the First 48 would be filmed.

However, the most grisly crime I've seen on the show was a random act of violence committed by a white guy against another white guy. It was in Cincinatti.

That being said, this show only reinforces my belief that Dexter is more realistic than CSI in the police procedures and how crime is dealt with.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:44 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Agreed...plus, it's a statistic fact that violent crime affects the black community much more than the white community. Poor white people generally live in rural towns, not the kind of place where the First 48 would be filmed.

However, the most grisly crime I've seen on the show was a random act of violence committed by a white guy against another white guy. It was in Cincinatti.

That being said, this show only reinforces my belief that Dexter is more realistic than CSI in the police procedures and how crime is dealt with.
What murder isn't grisly??? Tell me that...

What I would say is that ALL races commit crimes. Some way more than others. However, virtually all of the crimes committed by inner city folks on The First 48 are plain STUPID. The guy looked at the other guy wrong kinda stuff. White people almost always plot their murders. Think, life insurance fraud or pre meditated spousal retribution.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:00 PM

121 posts, read 225,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
I too watch the show and there are occassions where white people are portrayed.

You have to also take into account what cities and neighborhoods they film in. Little Haiti, Miami, Memphis, Dallas; they all have heavy minority populations so yes, they are only going to feature those that live predominately in those areas.

As for enjoying watching people destroy their lives by taking others lives, I do not get off on it as you do no matter the race.

The show is a great show regardless.

I agree. It depends on the area being featured. The new show "The Shift" which is filmed in Indianapolis will feature more Caucasian perps than say, a show shot in Memphis.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:43 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
there is a bias on the show mostly showcasing minorties but sadly if you are poor and black or hispanic and living in the inner city your odds of being killed rise.
I watched the shows last night when a young black man who said making it to 24 years old in the "hood" was basically longevity.
One of the most disturbing things being from Miami was that nearly 60% of the murder victims in the city were young black men under the age of 35 in the past few years. This is from a Miami Herald article I had read and will post a link when I find it.
Ironically the vast majority of murders in Miami fall into two catergories, drug involvement or domestic violence and the city in October of 2008 did not have 1 single homicide which is remarkable for it's size.
It is a riveting show since one tries to make sense of what occurs and can't comprehend what drives people to commit such crimes.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:49 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,398 times
Quote:

The First 48 - A&E TV

I live in Memphis. We have over 60 % black population and they stand for most of the crimes. I went to the court house for a small traffic ticket and besides myself and maybe a few more whites, the place were packed with black people.It is what it is.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:

The First 48 - A&E TV

I think they would have a difficult time shooting the series from the suburbs because the murder rates are so low relative to inner city areas. Dominic Dunn: Power, Priveldge & Justice goes exactly the other way focussing on very wealthy white murderers who probably couldn't find an inner city neighborhood. But that format is entirely different. I personally enjoy both shows but prefer 48 hours because I like Sergeant Caroline Mason so much. When she comes in the interigation room you're screwed. She's like a real life Perry Mason. You can't help but root for these detectives too when you see the devistation the families go through at the beginning when they find out someone they love was murdered. I really don't see how you could construe your satisfaction at seeing a black or hispanic person recieve justice for killing another black or hispanic as evedense of a rasist mindset.

If you were unhappy that they were brought to justice, that could well indicate racist values. The thing that bothers me a little is when very young people do something that causes them to spend decades behind bars because I realize they'll never have a decent life after they are released. In that case, it is a double tragety. But older people have no exuse and should know better.

As for the millionaires on Dominic Dunn who don't like their first wife any longer or the pampered wives who have their husbands knocked off for the insurance money, they never seem to get the same one way ticket to jail that the people on 48 hours do, but I think that has more to do with class than race. If you're a middle-aged person from Birmingham MI and you are arrested for a serious crime you will certainly be treated more fairly and given more opportunity to present your case, regardless of race, than a black Detroit MI youth. I would like to see more follow-up with the 48 hours cases. I always wonder how many are found not guilty at trial. Those of you who have had experience with real law enforcement will know that police don't always tell the truth, especially when they make a mistake hey want to cover up, and love to embellish. For the record, I'm a white male suburbanite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies