Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:13 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Muslim family removed from plane remains at odds with airline - CNN.com

What do you guys think about this?

Who's at fault?
Who's not?

Did the airline act appropriately, or was this a case of guilt by association, racial profiling, or some other civil rights violation?

YouTube - Ann Coulter On Terrorism - Sometimes She Makes Sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Interesting, but what is your point with this video? As a means to justify profiling Muslims on airlines? I believe that Muslims are definitely profiled on airlines.

I was waiting for her to get to the point. She listed terrorist attacks committed by Muslims, then said "its not a profile, its a description".

What she is saying is not front page news. The fact is that most of the terrorist attacks against the US have been by Muslim extremists, I would agree with that. No one here is suggesting that people not use their eyes and ears as weapons against terrorism. So, she's justifying profiling. Ok, go ahead, profile people. People are profiled every day, various kinds of people. I don't think this is avoidable or within the range of human nature at this point. But, when people are found innocent, and are no longer under suspicion, let them go back to what they were doing. Because if they are innocent, then their rights are just as important as yours and mine.

The sad part of the "profiling" business, is it seems highly unlikely that a real terrorist is going to be caught on an airline by profiling. It is well known the profile of the men that did 9/11, single, young men, traveling alone, on visas, small handbags, no luggage, etc. Everyone knows what these terrorists "looked like" from a profiling perspective. So the next crazy a$$hole that tries to harm us will not fit this profile. Perhaps it will be 3 men traveling together, I am sure they will have full suitcases, ect, etc, etc.

Richard Reid was not caught because he was profiled, and he was using a Muslim name. He was caught while trying to detonate his shoe.

Profiling occurs and is going to for a long time, but I just wonder how well it actually works, when it comes to catching real terrorists.

Check out this case

'US pilot refuses to fly with Sikhs onboard'

This was 3 Indians who were removed from the plane after the Pilot refused to fly with them on board.

I mean come on, did they fit the "profile"?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:36 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
She is illogical. She claims that because 100% of terrorism cases(a disputable factoid) against the US were by Muslims, then there is a '100% chance' that a profiled suspect is a terrorist. Maybe she just got tongue tied, or is a tad inarticulate, but I just thought I'd point that out.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
She is illogical. She claims that because 100% of terrorism cases(a disputable factoid) against the US were by Muslims, then there is a '100% chance' that a profiled suspect is a terrorist. Maybe she just got tongue tied, or is a tad inarticulate, but I just thought I'd point that out.
I thouhgt she said that too, but she talked about all types of terrorist attacks, then said that 100% of attacks on AIRLINES were by Muslims....

But my initial reaction was the same as yours.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
If that's actually what she said, she's obviously delerious.

Just because a ship can cross the ocean in 12 days, does NOT mean 12 ships can cross the ocean in ONE day..

Virtually ALL RAPISTS are males....but (despite what Gloria Allred might think), not all MALES are rapists...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies