Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:33 PM

607 posts, read 922,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Likewise, a homosexual doesn't choose to be sensitive to certain things. A homosexual doesn't choose to be abused or neglected, etc.
Excuse me? I'm a homosexual and I was never abused or neglected - in fact I had better parents than most of my straight friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:42 PM

395 posts, read 510,528 times
I think the whole "choice" thing is complicated. I am straight, but I feel it's my choice to be straight. I mean, I have the option and freedom of doing stuff with guys if I wanted to, but I choose not to, so in a way it is a choice. I'm not sexually attracted to men at all, and that's just that's just the way I feel. Women are what feel right to me, but I guess my brain was made that way..or maybe it's just my preference and a chose that.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:57 PM

37,145 posts, read 19,165,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnamecanido View Post
I think the whole "choice" thing is complicated. I am straight, but I feel it's my choice to be straight. I mean, I have the option and freedom of doing stuff with guys if I wanted to, but I choose not to, so in a way it is a choice. I'm not sexually attracted to men at all, and that's just that's just the way I feel. Women are what feel right to me, but I guess my brain was made that way..or maybe it's just my preference and a chose that.
You are what is known as "straight".

Deal with it.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:17 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,387,578 times
Quote:

You are making a common mistake that many others do as well. "Sex acts" are different than "sexuality" and/or "sexual orientation."

Sure, you have the "option" to "do stuff" with guys, but "doing stuff" with guys does not make you a homosexual. Straight people can "do stuff" with members of same sex through the wonders of friction, mental fantasy and even modern medicine, but unless you are ATTRACTED SEXUALLY to members of the same sex, you are not gay.

Likewise, plenty of homosexuals living in denial (many of them ex-gays) can go their entire lives engaging in heterosexual acts whilst being gay (or bisexual). If you are having sex with your wife while thinking of naked guys, you're not straight!!

Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 PM

839 posts, read 982,022 times
Quote:
No, you're just making it seem complicated. There is no choice when it comes to who you are physically attracted to, which is what the debate is all about. As a gay man I am physically attracted to guys but when I look at a girl, no matter how beautiful she is, I experience absolutely zero sexual desire, not a peep from down there if you get my drift. Who I am attracted to is something I have no control over; a little chemical reaction goes off in my mind and that's all there is to it. There have been numerous scientific studies of the biological and genetic components of homosexuality in recent years and virtually all the evidence thus far indicates that homosexuals have distinct genetic and biological differences in comparison to heterosexuals, so you can argue til you're blue in the face but you can't change the evidence to the contrary.

If you, as a heterosexual, can't change who you are physically attracted to then it should be obvious that there is no choice involved. If you can change you attraction then you aren't heterosexual, but one of those rare creatures known as bisexuals! Heheh.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:24 PM

395 posts, read 510,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
No, you're just making it seem complicated. There is no choice when it comes to who you are physically attracted to, which is what the debate is all about. As a gay man I am physically attracted to guys but when I look at a girl, no matter how beautiful she is, I experience absolutely zero sexual desire, not a peep from down there if you get my drift. Who I am attracted to is something I have no control over; a little chemical reaction goes off in my mind and that's all there is to it. There have been numerous scientific studies of the biological and genetic components of homosexuality in recent years and virtually all the evidence thus far indicates that homosexuals have distinct genetic and biological differences in comparison to heterosexuals, so you can argue til you're blue in the face but you can't change the evidence to the contrary.

If you, as a heterosexual, can't change who you are physically attracted to then it should be obvious that there is no choice involved. If you can change you attraction then you aren't heterosexual, but one of those rare creatures known as bisexuals! Heheh.
You said I can't change who I am physically attracted to, but some of the things I am physically attracted to has changed over time. One example, I never thought myself to be attracted to asians, but then after having a good experience with one, I was converted.

We go with what turns us on the most, that's a choice? We can go against our feelings if we wanted. If I had an urge to murder, I still have the choice not to do it, even if I really wanted to.

I do agree though, that preferences are just something we end up liking or not liking, not much we can do about it, besides go against what we enjoy.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 PM

839 posts, read 982,022 times
Quote:
You said I can't change who I am physically attracted to, but some of the things I am physically attracted to has changed over time. One example, I never thought myself to be attracted to asians, but then after having a good experience with one, I was converted.

We go with what turns us on the most, that's a choice? We can go against our feelings if we wanted. If I had an urge to murder, I still have the choice not to do it, even if I really wanted to.

I do agree though, that preferences are just something we end up liking or not liking, not much we can do about it, besides go against what we enjoy.
Attraction to particular ethnicities is completely different to attraction to a particular sex. Again, as I've said, numerous peer-reviewed genetic and biological scientific studies have identified genetic and biological causes of homosexuality, indicating that it beyond simple preference and rather that it is hardwired into our brains. Sure, ones attractions change over time; when I was 16 I thought other 16 year olds were far hotter than anyone in their 20s, now that I'm 24 I think that people in their 20s are far hotter than people in different age groups. However, my preferences fluxuate but always remain fixated on people of a particular gender. Preferences can change, sexual orientation can't.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:20 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,136 times
Quote:

Okay since it is that easy...are you cute? Prove to the class the sexual orientation is like "a preference for asians" If you're cute make out with me RIGHT NOW!

Old 01-03-2009, 02:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,655,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
No, you're just making it seem complicated. There is no choice when it comes to who you are physically attracted to, which is what the debate is all about. As a gay man I am physically attracted to guys but when I look at a girl, no matter how beautiful she is, I experience absolutely zero sexual desire, not a peep from down there if you get my drift. Who I am attracted to is something I have no control over; a little chemical reaction goes off in my mind and that's all there is to it.
I agree strongly with this. I love looking at beautiful women. I'll admit that I've often shown a bias in favor of them in social and business situations, I'm often nicer to them, etc. - all of the things that a straight guy probably feels when he's around an attractive woman. But then there's that chemical reaction that usually occurs in most men that makes them aroused. It's not there for me. Figuring out why it's there for most guys but not there for some of us is complicated; but the fact that arousal either does takes place or doesn't take place is not complicated at all.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:24 PM

706 posts, read 1,240,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
I really don't agree. I think being gay is a product of a number of factors, just like various other sexual tastes. I don't think you have a choice about it, but I do think that there are both gay and straight people who might have gone the other way, if their life experiences had led them that way.

bingo bingo bingo--you hit the nail right on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies