Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the News Media: Pro-Hamas, Pro-Israel or Fairly Reporting The News
Pro-Hamas 75 35.21%
Pro-Israel 98 46.01%
Fairly Reporting The News 21 9.86%
Other 8 3.76%
Not Sure 11 5.16%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
This is not exactly what the US is doing in Iraq. The US is not in a war with Iraq it is occupying Iraq and praying it will be stable enough to get the hell out, to which I believe it will never be stable until we leave and a blood bath ensues. No, I did not support the invasion, the war or the occupation that inevitably took place.
The frightening thing about all this to me is that, unless I have been misunderstanding his public statements, President Obama intends to in effect do the same thing in Afghanistan.

I think about what happened to the Soviets, the amount of power wielded by the poppy-growers and their Western clients, and the lawlessness and corruption of the Afghan culture, and I see very bad things on the horizon for us in this adventure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 04:32 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The frightening thing about all this to me is that, unless I have been misunderstanding his public statements, President Obama intends to in effect do the same thing in Afghanistan.

I think about what happened to the Soviets, the amount of power wielded by the poppy-growers and their Western clients, and the lawlessness and corruption of the Afghan culture, and I see very bad things on the horizon for us in this adventure...
I do not for one second think Afghanistan can be "won" militarily. Like them or not, Hamid Karzai and Asif Ali Zardari need serious support from the international community. I answered the question in the election forum as if I had one question to ask Obama, what would it be. I asked about what we are going to do about Afghanistan-Pakistan as the Taliban is back and growing. Open calls for the overthrow of Pakistan's weak government and we all know what Pakistan has that for the love of God we do not want radical fundamentalist Jihadist to get their hands on. I hope to the stars that we don't turn Afghanistan into Iraq II the sequel, return to stupid.

Same holds for this Israeli-Palestinian conflict, it needs deeper international involvement and commitment.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I do not for one second think Afghanistan can be "won" militarily. Like them or not, Hamid Karzai and Asif Ali Zardari need serious support from the international community. I answered the question in the election forum as if I had one question to ask Obama, what would it be. I asked about what we are going to do about Afghanistan-Pakistan as the Taliban is back and growing. Open calls for the overthrow of Pakistan's weak government and we all know what Pakistan has that for the love of God we do not want radical fundamentalist Jihadist to get their hands on. I hope to the stars that we don't turn Afghanistan into Iraq II the sequel, return to stupid.

Same holds for this Israeli-Palestinian conflict, it needs deeper international involvement and commitment.
Forgve me for sounding flippant, but your expressing "hope" for Afghanistan and Pakistan doesn't sound much more persuasive than the Bush adminstration's pronouncements on Iraq.

As things stand, I do not believe that the United States has developed a sufficiently sophisticated approach to non-congruent warfare, or even to developing a strategic vision for central and south-central Asia, to the degree that proceeding with a substanital ramping up of the military effort in Afghanistan makes any kind of sense.

My hope is that President Obama thinks long and hard before committing additional gorund forces in the graveyard of the Red Army.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:52 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Forgve me for sounding flippant, but your expressing "hope" for Afghanistan and Pakistan doesn't sound much more persuasive than the Bush adminstration's pronouncements on Iraq.

As things stand, I do not believe that the United States has developed a sufficiently sophisticated approach to non-congruent warfare, or even to developing a strategic vision for central and south-central Asia, to the degree that proceeding with a substanital ramping up of the military effort in Afghanistan makes any kind of sense.

My hope is that President Obama thinks long and hard before committing additional gorund forces in the graveyard of the Red Army.
Well I have little hope and am still trying to persuade myself that Obama is going to find some kind of wisdom that seems to have been lacking. I'm not convinced so all I have is hope.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Well I have little hope and am still trying to persuade myself that Obama is going to find some kind of wisdom that seems to have been lacking. I'm not convinced so all I have is hope.
Amen to that.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 PM

21 posts, read 11,673 times
Quote:
For thee, Zion.....
Quote:

[SIZE=6][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]WILL NOT GO DOWN[/SIZE]
(Song for Gaza)
(Composed by Michael Heart)
Copyright 2009

MOD CUT

YouTube - We will not go down (Song for Gaza)

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-20-2009 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: See where it says "copyright"? That means you can't just post it on the forum...

Old 01-25-2009, 06:16 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Hamas tried to hijack ambulances during Gaza war - World - smh.com.au

Even the palestinians of gaza know who is to blame for the conflict. These hamas thugs/cowards need to be taken out - by Israel or by the palestinians.

Quote:
Getting out of the ambulance and entering the house, he saw there were three Hamas fighters taking cover inside. One half of the building had already been destroyed.

"They were very scared, and very nervous … They dropped their weapons and ordered me to get them out, to put them in the ambulance and take them away. I refused, because if the IDF sees me doing this I am finished, I cannot pick up any more wounded people.

"And then one of the fighters picked up a gun and held it to my head, to force me. I still refused, and then they allowed me to leave."

Mr Shriteh says Hamas made several attempts to hijack the al-Quds Hospital's fleet of ambulances during the war.

"You hear when they are coming. People ring to tell you. So we had to get in all the ambulances and make the illusion of an emergency and only come back when they had gone."
Amazing that this kind of stuff doesn't make it to the front page.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:29 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Hamas tried to hijack ambulances during Gaza war - World - smh.com.au

Even the palestinians of gaza know who is to blame for the conflict. These hamas thugs/cowards need to be taken out - by Israel or by the palestinians.

Amazing that this kind of stuff doesn't make it to the front page.
Well, since it doesn't jibe with the whole 'freedom fighters' propaganda you never will.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,121 times
Eric Margolis of the Toronto Sun joins Paul Jay at the Real news Network studios to discuss the geopolitics of the Gaza conflict.

YouTube - Obama and Gaza

Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
Read this: One of the great problems with Americans is that - being a decent people - they assume that everyone else is equally decent.
Meir Kahane
Are hamas/hezbollah arabs decent? hell no.
Well that Kahane fella was one heluva murderous racist wasn't he? Good thing he's now getting his reward in hellfire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies