Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the News Media: Pro-Hamas, Pro-Israel or Fairly Reporting The News
Pro-Hamas 75 35.21%
Pro-Israel 98 46.01%
Fairly Reporting The News 21 9.86%
Other 8 3.76%
Not Sure 11 5.16%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:41 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I agree with what you wrote, but I still don't see it as a worldwide threat. The US doesn't have a network of mostly Muslim ex-colonies with which it has agreements to let people emigrate from. The Muslims in the US are for the most part not extreme. Even with England's problems, there are tons of native Britons, Hindus and others there who will never consent to a Sharia takeover.
I'm not that worried about the U.S. I'm also fully aware that the Muslims in the U.S. are vastly not extremists. But it's happening in so many places today, including Indonesia and Africa, and resulting in mass genocides, that I think we need to be aware of possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
How would the so called “civilized world” react,and what an outcry if these words were spoken by a Muslim religious figure !?

Eliyahu advocates carpet bombing Gaza
All civilians living in Gaza are collectively guilty for Kassam attacks on Sderot, former Sephardi chief rabbi Mordechai Eliyahu has written in a letter to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.
Eliyahu ruled that there was absolutely no moral prohibition against the indiscriminate killing of civilians during a potential massive military offensive on Gaza aimed at stopping the rocket launchings.
The letter, published in Olam Katan [Small World], a weekly pamphlet to be distributed in synagogues nationwide this Friday, cited the biblical story of the Shechem massacre (Genesis 34) and Maimonides’ commentary (Laws of Kings 9, 14) on the story as proof texts for his legal decision.
“If they don’t stop after we kill 100, then we must kill a thousand,” said Shmuel Eliyahu. “And if they do not stop after 1,000 then we must kill 10,000. If they still don’t stop we must kill 100,000, even a million. Whatever it takes to make them stop."
Muslim religious figures have stated that Israel, all Jews, and the West must be destroyed. Where's the "outcry"?

Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
Those things are terrible, but I think the real source of those issues is poverty. If there were no Islam, they would just express the same grievances through another vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
But it's happening in so many places today, including Indonesia and Africa, and resulting in mass genocides, that I think we need to be aware of possibilities.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Those things are terrible, but I think the real source of those issues is poverty. If there were no Islam, they would just express the same grievances through another vehicle.
I agree, to a certain extent. In fact, in Jared Diamond's book, Collapse, he asserts that the Rwandan genocide really was more about the destruction of the environment, and the resulting diminishment of available arable land, causing intense competition for survival, rather than about ethnic hatred.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:11 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,316 times
Quote:
That is so wrong - it is laughable...

The 9/11 terrorists were not poor...

Bin Laden's net worth is in the tens of millions...

Poverty has little to do with it...

The hate-filled preaching of Islam as taught by the fundamentalists is the root cause of the problem. And it is a world-wide problem...

Old 01-06-2009, 04:51 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,438 times
How many of you have really and i mean really read up on Islam & its prophet? I would think not many..those that have do so with a prejudiced mind or just rely on biased sources to back them up. Thus you get the same blinked & distorted views. There are extremists i don't deny just as there are in other faiths..
Here's my recommendation. Really read about Islam and about Muhammad & then we can have a pretty awesome debate about that religiion.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:16 PM

540 posts, read 629,960 times
Quote:
Congratutlations my dear. Sometimes we just have to talk these things through to come to an understanding. Now all you have to do to arrive at your near truth is to tweak it a little.
It is Islam that is creating the grievances. It is in fact a drug under which they labor. All other labors that typically promote human advantage are lost.
If you inject drugs into your veins you hunger only for the drug. All productivity is lost. If you sit around and smoke the bong all day you won't feel the need to paint the house or even take out the trash. You are not productive.

So many people here that are Christian bashers miss that succint difference. Christianity, at least modern Christianity, does not enslave its followers. They remain productive citizens and they are not preoccupied with destroying all that is not Islam.

Islam is preoccupied with death. If you live by the sword you die by the sword. Christianity teaches love thy neighbor as thyself. Islam teaches give him the opportunity to convert, if he does not convert he must be killed.

Ms. LuLu are you ready to convert? Can you tolerate Sharia Law? Will they find you hiding under your bed?

Old 01-06-2009, 05:42 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Follow along, since the Israeli Prime Minister is quoted as having ordered the raid which essentially broke the ceasefire. So if you are calling the Prime Minister of Israel a liar, then feel free.

Barak: Israel wants Gaza truce intact despite raid
Reuters AlertNet - Barak: Israel wants Gaza truce intact despite raid

Read slowly now... AFTER the Israeli raid, which later drew fire. Hence the rocket fire followed the Israeli raid.

How about we quote Israels largest newspaper, will that satisfy you?

VIDEO / In continued escalation, Gazans shell Israel after deadly IDF raid
VIDEO / In continued escalation, Gazans shell Israel after deadly IDF raid - Haaretz - Israel News

Israel's 'victories' in Gaza come at a steep price
Israel's 'victories' in Gaza come at a steep price | csmonitor.com

No matter how you cut it, Israel herself has admitted to breaking the truce. You can deny it and you can deny gravity but it still don't make it so.

As to being offended, I don't blame you it was meant to be an absurd statement made to make a point. I find your sentiments towards other human beings to be equally offensive. You say they were warned and should leave, where the hell are they going to go? They are in a small walled off city that is under constant barrage, aerial bombardment, shelling... there is no place to run there is no place to hide, there is no egress from the slaughter. They merely wait to die.

O....M.....G..... When a truce is declared both sides agree to cease hostilities. The Israelis launched a raid into Gaza because the Palestinians were digging a tunnel under the border fence which would then presumably be used to kidnap Israeli soldiers who were patrolling the area. Surely you are aware of this. IMO, by digging a tunnel under the fence the Palestinians violated the truce before the Israeli attack. What were they going to do with this tunnel? Deliver Singing Telegrams? How can tunneling into Israel not be considered a truce violation?

Quote:
Israeli troops crossed into the Gaza Strip late last night near the town of Deir al-Balah. The Israeli military said the target of the raid was a tunnel that they said Hamas was planning to use to capture Israeli soldiers positioned on the border fence 250m away. Four Israeli soldiers were injured in the operation, two moderately and two lightly, the military said.

One Hamas gunman was killed and Palestinians launched a volley of mortars at the Israeli military. An Israeli air strike then killed five more Hamas fighters. In response, Hamas launched 35 rockets into southern Israel, one reaching the city of Ashkelon.

"This was a pinpoint operation intended to prevent an immediate threat," the Israeli military said in a statement. "There is no intention to disrupt the ceasefire, rather the purpose of the operation was to remove an immediate and dangerous threat posted by the Hamas terror organisation."
Gaza truce broken as Israeli raid kills six Hamas gunmen | World news | guardian.co.uk

Old 01-06-2009, 06:06 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
O....M.....G..... When a truce is declared both sides agree to cease hostilities. The Israelis launched a raid into Gaza because the Palestinians were digging a tunnel under the border fence which would then presumably be used to kidnap Israeli soldiers who were patrolling the area. Surely you are aware of this. IMO, by digging a tunnel under the fence the Palestinians violated the truce before the Israeli attack. What were they going to do with this tunnel? Deliver Singing Telegrams? How can tunneling into Israel not be considered a truce violation?
Perhaps gain access to food and water? We may never know because the press is not allow to report what is taking place, ever wonder why? Now maybe these tunnels were used to smuggle arms, maybe they weren't, truth is that you and I will never know for sure because for one these suspected and alleged tunnels were destroyed by the Israeli air force.

Now using even the most simplistic logic, one would think that Israel or the United States Army Corp of Engineers (the ones hunting for the tunnels on the Egyptian side of the border) would have set an ambush and captured any terrorist gun smugglers to parade in front of the news, so why didn't they? Why did Israel destroy these alleged smuggling tunnels instead of allow for their examination? I can claim they killed Santa Clause in those tunnels and it is every bit as provable as if these tunnels existed as they say they did in the first place. Again we will never know because they were destroyed with massive bombs removing all trace of their existence.

So why was Israel planning for an invasion of Gaza 18 months prior? One full year before the ceasefire even went into effect.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:15 PM

540 posts, read 629,960 times
Say, how do we know those tunnels weren't dug by the Israelis. This whole thing could be a set up just like WMD and the way they brought those buidings down with explosives. Those Jews have been using excuses to anhialate people since the beginning of time. Hamas is just obviously trying to get along.
It is not what is happening now friends it is what is happening next with which you should be concerned. Soon our focus will be upon Iran. Then you will have a story to report and an opinion to opine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies